Pop or Soda?

I suggest we call it a "carbonated beverage"

for a frame of reference, i present a typical conversation...

"hey man you want a carbonated beverage?"

"sure"

"what do you want?"

"uhh... sprite."

OR

Why don't we just call the hookers?

"hey man you want a hooker?"

"sure"

"what do you want?"

"uhh... sprite."

I guess language is really contextual. It doesn't really matter what you call it.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Dec 5, 2003 @ 12:14 AM

Well no cause a coke is a specific kind of soda so if you go "get me a coke," someone will get you a coke.

If you go "get me a soda" they'll go get you whatever's available

dont worry nephew, they know what i mean.

Originally posted by jeff-20@Dec 5, 2003 @ 12:39 AM

I suggest we call it a "carbonated beverage"

"hey man you want a carbonated beverage?"

"sure"

"what do you want?"

"uhh... sprite."

Yeah, as jeff-20 said, if you are going to call it something like soda or pop, you are going to be asked what type of soda/ pop you want (ie, coke or sprite). So instead of saying give me pop/ soda, then followed by a coke/ sprite, why not just drop the whole, pop/ soda, and just jump straight to the specific "I want a coke/ spite".

As for "carbonated beverage", that's good. I wouldn't use it, but I wouldn't use soda or pop either. If I had to categorise the drink, I would ulitmately ask for a "fizzy drink".

My cousins from Queens insist on calling it Pop. My other cousin from Long Island calls it pop. Another cousin (Staten Island) calls it coke. My fiancee calls it Coke. Future in-laws (Albany) are mixed.

What the hell is a New Yorkian? And what the hell is there to do in Iowa?

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Dec 5, 2003 @ 04:53 AM

My cousins from Queens insist on calling it Pop. My other cousin from Long Island calls it pop. Another cousin (Staten Island) calls it coke. My fiancee calls it Coke. Future in-laws (Albany) are mixed.

They've got corn husking contests as well as barn raising races. Actually, a barn raising race sounds interesting...

edit: btw, don't take this seriously, I've never been to Iowa. (Cloud: this is a joke)

Originally posted by Nadius+Dec 5, 2003 @ 02:20 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nadius @ Dec 5, 2003 @ 02:20 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-MTXBlau@Dec 5, 2003 @ 04:53 AM

They've got corn husking contests as well as barn raising races. Actually, a barn raising race sounds interesting...

edit: btw, don't take this seriously, I've never been to Iowa. (Cloud: this is a joke) [/b][/quote]

say Nadius, what happen to that saturn ad u was gonna hook me up wit?

I live in Liverpool, England. I would usually call them Soft Drinks, although I usually just refer to them by either brand name or the flavour. Some people call it Pop, but I hate that phrase as here its used to describe a brand of music I detest.

Absolutely no one I know calls it Soda.

Originally posted by axelblazeadam@Dec 5, 2003 @ 08:37 PM

I would usually call them Soft Drinks, although I usually just refer to them by either brand name or the flavour.

:agree

The only time anyone refers to soda is when talking about soda water.

Ahem... "COLA"

I used to get in this conversation with a co-worker. She was from the Bronx, and insisted it was "soda." Here in NE Ohio, everyone says "pop." It drove her so crazy to hear everyone say "pop" that we finaly just started saying "cola" instead. Drove her just as crazy, but she couldn't complain. :slap

Hahahaha, btw, in Moldova we used to call all soft drinks "cola". So "coke", "pop" and "soda" are all wrong. You don't know what is Moldova? Why you ignorant punk! Nowonder you call soda all this funny names :) :) :)

Originally posted by dhau+Dec 5, 2003 @ 02:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dhau @ Dec 5, 2003 @ 02:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jeff-20@Dec 4, 2003 @ 11:34 PM

What about the american debate?

GYM SHOES,

TENNIS SHOES,

or SNEAKERS?

In Canada it's running shoes[/b][/quote]

In England we call them Trainers

Heh, I refer to it either way, depending on what it is and the phase of the moon. For me most carbonated drinks are usually 'pop', but some - cream soda, fruit soda, etc. obviously fall into the 'soda' category. As for the shoes thing, they're all different types of shoes - but I usually refer to them as sneakers.

AFAICT, "soda" dates from when carbonation was done chemically, by adding baking soda or a similar compound, rather than mechanically. This would also explain why just about any canned/bottled [carbonated beverage] bears a message advertising its low sodium content when drinks usually contain low/no sodium.

Hmm. The above mentioned fact would mean that the term known as "soda" is outdated. Therefore, all those who are arguing for the cause of "soda" as opposed to the causes known as "coke" or "pop" can only be referred to as DEAD WRONG.

Of course, all of us referring to it with the more appropriate terms of coke and pop were already well aware that we were totally right.

:cheers

It's Soda....

and here in NJ if you ask for a coke....they give you a Coke or ask if Pepsi is alright.... if you say pop...well try it sometime and see what happens..

Well then,"coke" should only be used for coca-flavored beverages (if not exclusively for Coca-Cola), and wine and beer qualify as "pop" (the reference is to a cork/cap popping). ;)

Back