Pop or Soda?

Cloud121

Established Member
Heh... In my never ending debate with Locke about Pop's true name (which IS Pop, he calls it Soda. Damn New Yorker.... ;) :lol: :p ) What do you call this carbonated beverage? Here in Iowa (Iowa OWNS NY! Des Moines OWNS NYC!) we call it Pop. This should be a fun thread.... :cheers

*Goes and gets a can of Pop*

I've been raised (living in MI) to say Pop.

Soda just sounds dumb. makes me think of baking soda.

Now that I've lived in CA for a couple years, I'm starting to call it Coke. My wife makes fun of me when I say pop

Soda sounds better to me. When I hear pop I think of the people from 50's films with old fashioned glass bottles.

Originally posted by E Nice@Dec 4, 2003 @ 11:19 PM

Soda sounds better to me. When I hear pop I think of the people from 50's films with old fashioned glass bottles.

Haha, I think of that too when I hear it being called pop. :lol:

Hah yeah you're right.

"Hey mary-sue, would you fancy sharing a pop with me down at the malt shop?" :biglaugh

Hm.. someone added "something else" to the Poll list. You forgot to make both the S and E capitalized, so it looks good, and goes with the other choices. Man I'm picky...

Acutally, around here ppl call it coke, even if it's really pepsi. I picked pop though b/c a lot of ppl do say that. If anyone says soda they are immediately mocked and made fun of by anyone within a 60 foot radius.

soda, lmao

So like what happens if you say coke and you want a sprite? Do they bring you a coke and you just hope they dont spit in your sprite after you send it back or... what?

Originally posted by Cloud121@Dec 4, 2003 @ 10:48 PM

Heh... In my never ending debate with Locke about Pop's true name (which IS Pop, he calls it Soda. Damn New Yorkian.... ;) :lol: :p ) What do you call this carbonated beverage? Here in Iowa (Iowa OWNS NY! Des Moines OWNS NYC!) we call it Pop. This should be a fun thread.... :cheers

*Goes and gets a can of Pop*

How could I have missed this? It's not New Yorkian, it's New Yorker. Also, why do you capitalize the words soda and pop?

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Dec 4, 2003 @ 11:44 PM

So like what happens if you say coke and you want a sprite? Do they bring you a coke and you just hope they dont spit in your sprite after you send it back or... what?

I'd imagine you'd find yourself in a similar situation if you said "pop" or "soda" and wanted sprite lol.

Well no cause a coke is a specific kind of soda so if you go "get me a coke," someone will get you a coke.

If you go "get me a soda" they'll go get you whatever's available

Yes New Yorkers on the board unite, what the hell is this pop crap. It's S-O-D-A. I have a suitemate who insists it's pop, and yes, he's from Iowa. Go figure.

dude it's fucking coke. every carbonated beverage that comes in 12 oz aluminum cans is a fucking coke, even if it's a pepsi.

for a frame of reference, i present a typical conversation in indiana...

"hey man you want a coke?"

"sure"

"what do you want?"

"uhh... sprite."

Back