Hmm islam

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Dec 12, 2003 @ 03:47 PM

Hey I'm a catholic... but I dont take offence to it because I honestly dont care

...and you do so absolutely right. I didn't intended to press on anyone's feelings :)

I'm pretty sure if you would see what was happening, you would agree with me it was annoyng. Kind of annoyng like the military training in junior school in Soviet Union in early eighties. You get the picture.

Heh, they had 'World Youth Day' here in Denver awhile back with a big papal visit. It was kind of humourous seeing him cruise around in the bulletproof 'popemobile'. There was actually a guy who walked all the way here from Boston - I saw him on the highway when I was going camping - he was all decked out like Jesus, robes, sandals, beard and all.

Being completely stereotypical here, and from an aetheist perspective, I'd say I tend to get along with most Catholics better than those of many Protestant sects (especially Baptists and Lutherans it seems)- most Catholics seem to enjoy drinkin' and screwin' to a degree not found in most Christians. ;)

haha, I dunno about other parts of the US, but here in Utah the Mormons aren't all that weird at all......granted u have your few freaks that are super-religious, over-protective, and extremely sheltered but I tink you get that in all religions. and the jw's used to be around here a lot.....u would get some every month that came up to the door all but begging u to convert and promising you all these things.

Gall and racket, I would really be interested as to why u guys think that mormons are so freaky. just using the stereo-type or have u had actual experiences?

Originally posted by PUNJABEE@Dec 12, 2003 @ 04:17 PM

Oops, I forgot to mention.. the only "holy-day" that people are told to remember by God, (via the bible) is the Death of his Son, who died for all of imperfect mankind.

Most people call this the "Last Supper" before Jesus died, where he took and broke some loaves of bread, and passed some wine around, representing his body and blood. Thats one thing the Witnesses commemorate every year, on the date corresponding to Nisan 14, by the Jewish Calendar, so it sorta floats around May and April.

Well I knew Christmas isn't technically Jesus' Birthday.

It's just the day we observe his birth.

I pretty much agree with you about holloween.

As for the others, I don't see anything wrong with celebrating things such as Thanksgiving (just being thankful for what we have) and Valentines Day (lovey stuff). Although I don't really know the history of Valentines Day.

Do JWs celebrate Easter?

Actually I am curious to learn a little more about JW just to get some understanding.

PM me or something, PUNJABEE

Originally posted by BJammzz@Dec 12, 2003 @ 11:24 PM

haha, I dunno about other parts of the US, but here in Utah the Mormons aren't all that weird at all......granted u have your few freaks that are super-religious, over-protective, and extremely sheltered but I tink you get that in all religions. and the jw's used to be around here a lot.....u would get some every month that came up to the door all but begging u to convert and promising you all these things.

Gall and racket, I would really be interested as to why u guys think that mormons are so freaky. just using the stereo-type or have u had actual experiences?

One of my roommates did a research report on Mormons a few years ago.

I went to the library with him one and looked at some of their information and beliefs.

Some of it is pretty weird. They believe stuff like you can become a god if you do certain things, I think. It's been a while, so I can't remember all the details, but their beliefs and practices are kind of weird in relation to mainstream Christianity.

Yeah I didnt mean they were weird, you can believe whatever you want. I just meant that in comparison to mainstream christianity, it seems kinda out there in terms of the base foundations of being a christian.

And yes I have many a friend who are mormon and they all believe some weird ass shit.

Originally posted by it290@Dec 12, 2003 @ 10:34 PM

Being completely stereotypical here, and from an aetheist perspective, I'd say I tend to get along with most Catholics better than those of many Protestant sects (especially Baptists and Lutherans it seems)- most Catholics seem to enjoy drinkin' and screwin' to a degree not found in most Christians. ;)

It all depends on the person.

I go to a Baptist church (although I'm not big into demoninations), but I don't think I'm hard to get along with.

You can't stereotype Christians just like you can't an other religeon. Christians aren't all like Flanders from the Simpsons. I'm a pretty devoted (far from perfect though) Christian, but I get along fine with all sort of people. I personally don't drink alcohol. It's open to intepretation if drinking is a sin. Some Christians will claim it's only a sin if you get drunk. Anyway, I choose not to drink for various reasons. Anyway, I'm not gonna condemn sombody for drinking. But there are some people who will. I don't really appreciate Christians who go around telling people how evil they are and how great they are. Like I got to San Francisco and see there guys preaching on the corner holding signs saying how people will be going to hell and everything for doing wrong things. Even if that is true, it's not the proper way to handle it.

We should be friendly to everyone no matter what -- even if its hard to do. Jesus even talked to a prostitute (no jokes, please) -- one that no one else in the city wanted to talk to. He didn't turn his back on anyone. Everyone had a shot. It's up to everyone to decide if the want to go His way or not. Does that make sense?

haha they believe nothing of becomming a god. I always thought all that crazy shit was true, until I sat down and talked to ppl. They basicallly believe the same thing as other christian religions except that they dont have weird holdbacks like no meat on friday. The only holdback is that they stay in on sundays (a lot of em, not all) and then they have family home evening (again, some do it, not all) where they saty home and do stuff within the household w/ their families.

well I'm under the impression that a lot of Mormons that aren't hardcore don't really know all those beliefs, but I'm pretty sure its in the book of Mormon

I wanna say that's where the multiple wives thing came in.

Also they have they're "modern day prophet" -- John Smith or whatever his name was

Yeah, I know it was a generalization. I'm not saying Protestants are 'hard to get along with' in general, I was just joking about the fact that Catholics have never really cared for temperance, heh.

Originally posted by racketboy@Dec 12, 2003 @ 07:45 PM

well I'm under the impression that a lot of Mormons that aren't hardcore don't really know all those beliefs, but I'm pretty sure its in the book of Mormon

I wanna say that's where the multiple wives thing came in.

Also they have they're "modern day prophet" -- John Smith or whatever his name was

Heh yeah they believe that I think it was Joseph Smith was the final prophet of God and no other religion got it right so the Angel Gabriel (I think Gabriel) came down to give him the book of mormon.

here's whats weird:

He was an ex convict

He wouldn't let anyone see the orignal tablets that was used to translate the book of mormon so it was all by word of mouth

They believe that the isrealites are the orignal native Americans

Masturbation is a sin (SAY WHAAAAT?!)

And a bunch of other things

Originally posted by racketboy+Dec 12, 2003 @ 07:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Dec 12, 2003 @ 07:31 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-it290@Dec 12, 2003 @ 10:34 PM

It all depends on the person.

I go to a Baptist church (although I'm not big into demoninations), but I don't think I'm hard to get along with.

You can't stereotype Christians just like you can't an other religeon. Christians aren't all like Flanders from the Simpsons. I'm a pretty devoted (far from perfect though) Christian, but I get along fine with all sort of people. I personally don't drink alcohol. It's open to intepretation if drinking is a sin. Some Christians will claim it's only a sin if you get drunk. Anyway, I choose not to drink for various reasons. Anyway, I'm not gonna condemn sombody for drinking. But there are some people who will. I don't really appreciate Christians who go around telling people how evil they are and how great they are. Like I got to San Francisco and see there guys preaching on the corner holding signs saying how people will be going to hell and everything for doing wrong things. Even if that is true, it's not the proper way to handle it.

We should be friendly to everyone no matter what -- even if its hard to do. Jesus even talked to a prostitute (no jokes, please) -- one that no one else in the city wanted to talk to. He didn't turn his back on anyone. Everyone had a shot. It's up to everyone to decide if the want to go His way or not. Does that make sense? [/b][/quote]

ya you can't stereotype cuz i'm one too :)

i'm also hardcore straightedge so i don't touch any of dat stuff, i don't mind when otehr people do, but its gay if they act like they are goody goodys, screw dat

personally i think its dumb that people have to make church a radical thing to go to to get people to attend, thats why i generally prefer going to baptist services, what i was raised in and they arent trying to be trendy and hip to win you over

Originally posted by Jurai@Dec 13, 2003 @ 05:11 AM

personally i think its dumb that people have to make church a radical thing to go to to get people to attend, thats why i generally prefer going to baptist services, what i was raised in and they arent trying to be trendy and hip to win you over

I totally agree there too

There's a fe churchs like that around here. I suppose there's nothing "wrong" with it, but it's just not how I would do it.

I listen to Christian Rock, but I don't like them to play anything like that in church. It's a different type of atmosphere.

A lot of fundamentalists of various types believe this, usually as part of the general principle that the sex organs should only be used for procreation. The scripture typically cited is Genesis 38 : 1-10, but it is not clear from an immediate reading that this is the intended message; most descriptions of it I've seen rely on Talmudic commentary to draw this conclusion in anything resembling an authoritative way.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Dec 13, 2003 @ 01:21 AM

A lot of fundamentalists of various types believe this, usually as part of the general principle that the sex organs should only be used for procreation. The scripture typically cited is Genesis 38 : 1-10, but it is not clear from an immediate reading that this is the intended message; most descriptions of it I've seen rely on Talmudic commentary to draw this conclusion in anything resembling an authoritative way.

www.xxxchurch.com

edit: made it a link

Originally posted by ExCyber@Dec 13, 2003 @ 06:21 AM

just read that passage.

that's referring to rape, isn't it?

Originally posted by racketboy+Dec 13, 2003 @ 01:15 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Dec 13, 2003 @ 01:15 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jurai@Dec 13, 2003 @ 05:11 AM

I totally agree there too

There's a fe churchs like that around here. I suppose there's nothing "wrong" with it, but it's just not how I would do it.

I listen to Christian Rock, but I don't like them to play anything like that in church. It's a different type of atmosphere. [/b][/quote]

ya, i just think its dumb if you have to try and make the church appealing to people and catch them with how cool you are n shit

Originally posted by Jurai+Dec 13, 2003 @ 06:25 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jurai @ Dec 13, 2003 @ 06:25 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-ExCyber@Dec 13, 2003 @ 01:21 AM

www.xxxchurch.com

edit: made it a link [/b][/quote]

what the...?

Back