Hmm islam

Gallstaff

Established Member
I've just been doing some research on Islam lateley and i've noticed that it sounds very interesting. The ideas are much the same basic ideas as christianity and Judaism, but with a different focus on how to worship god. So anyways I just wanted to know if anyone on this board is a muslim or knows anyone. I want to better understand this religion because i'm tired of thinking all Muslims are terrorists.

Ooo that was a low blow. But seriously by nature most muslims believe that you should treat others well. You cant realy call the fanitcs real muslims.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Dec 12, 2003 @ 12:15 AM

Ooo that was a low blow. But seriously by nature most muslims believe that you should treat others well. You cant realy call the fanitcs real muslims.

ya thats true, for the most part, i still say

[muslim] :flamethrower: [me]

I know some one who's interested in the Islam religion too.

I can pm you his screen name if you want to talk to him sometime.

I've known enough muslims to know that they're very much like everyone else. It's just that the bad things that terrorists do tend to color the media more than the good things everyone else does, which is a shame. I myself am christian, but I'm sick of the media portraying the islamic community as being full of terrorists. On the other hand, I'm pretty fucking sick of the US going in and telling other countries what to do also *shrug*.

A number of my friends are muslims. Great people.

Most religions share a common thread. It so happens Baha'i is one of the significant religions that does such.

i'm trying to have this girl i know start a muslim groub to discuss the koran she said that's a good idea but i dont think it'll happen(i told her that she should start it for i can learn about islam)

I've been trying to learn more about muslims aswell, especially since one of my best friends is one. I'm not religious at all myself but I fully respect religious people, so far as they don't impose their beliefs on me. I still don't know all that much, other than a bit of the holy month of Ramadan, where fasting takes place during daylight hours for a full month, and a bit of the basis of the religion. This religion really does require dedication, calling for prayer 5 times a day.

When I asked if I was going to hell my friend did get awfly quiet though... so I forced it out of him. He said "quite possibly" :eek:

I'll see you all there :devil

---Ammut

Like some other religeons, like Mormon, they look good on the surface, but have some weird stuff when you dig deaper.

At least they don't seem as cultish as Mormon and Jehovahs Witnesses.

I personally don't believe in "religion" as most people know it. I believe in having a personal relationship with God instead of simply following a set of rules. I still try to follow "rules" so to speak, but only because I believe God wants me too. I don't believe any works of any kind will get you to heaven.

It's not what you do, it's who ya know --- so to speak

I am not muslim, but I am trying to get a friend to convert to islam. So, we (a small group of friends) have all been pretending to be muslims until he converts.

Haha wow you're a bastard Jeff

I was raised and still am a Catholic so I follow all my shit but I just think that learning about how other people view the same God would be interesting and since Muslims are portrayed so evily in the media, I wanted to find out what's up. And ammut, I believe that you're friend is going by the teachings of Islam in that if you dont believe Muhammed is the final prophet, you're fucked :flamethrower:

You get right down to it, the muslim koran, the jewish koran, and the christian old testament are all alternate translations of the same stories.

Seems back in like 1800 BC or so (I don't remember how far back) a king (King David, as he's called in the modern christian translation) wanted to unite all the tribes under his rule. The best way to do that was by creating a common religon. So he had his scholars combine and adapt all the various stories and beliefs of all the tribes into one collection; the first "bible." Needless to say, the followers of that new religon split several times over history, new stories were added as time went on, and new translations and adaptions altered what was originaly written. The most obvious would be around 36 AD, when a handfull of jews split to form christianity, the followers of a guy who could of been the son of god or just a guy much like Ghandi, depending on what you believe. New stories, new writers, new adaptions, and new translations. Another is when King James had it translated to english, making sure that his right to the throne was protected in the translation. Yes, the bible that most christians follow today was written in a manner intended to protect the king of england.

My own studies here mostly covered the jewish stories, I was never able to dive much into the muslim adaptions before I shifted away from what I call the trillogy of same faiths, and began to study other beliefs that do not have their orgins rooted in Israel/Palestine.

Everything I've studied and read over the last 10 years, I've come to one conclusion: They all say to be good to one another, and nothing more needs be said. Problem is, this pisses off people who are devout fanatics of any part of the trillogy of same faiths. If people would judge a person by their actions instead of what they name their god(s), the world would be a lot better off. Why is it that you never see a bhuddist get pissed off because you say "no, I don't believe in your faith, but I share your main princible?"

Sigh...

Originally posted by Jurai@Dec 12, 2003 @ 12:21 AM

ya thats true, for the most part, i still say

[muslim] :flamethrower: [me]

Jurai, you're a white christian boy. Everyone knows white christian boys and girls will be extint in 300 from now. So in your terms, it will be kind of like this:

[cwb&g] :flamethrower: [cwb&g]

[all other] :wub: [way more all other]

And it's not anyone's fault. It's just somehow then you are doing well, suddenly you feel a need for a new 42" plazma TV or a new Nissan PathFinder more then raising babies.

Originally posted by VertigoXX@Dec 12, 2003 @ 12:24 PM

Yes, the bible that most christians follow today was written in a manner intended to protect the king of england.

But if you ask any real Greek and Hebrew translators they will tell you the King James version is the most accurate English translation of the original manuscripts

Originally posted by racketboy@Dec 12, 2003 @ 02:22 AM

I believe in having a personal relationship with God instead of simply following a set of rules.

Muah-ha-ha, this is so cute! It reminds me about two episodes about being a god, one with Lisa Simpson and her scientific project and the other with Bender in outer space.

But really, if a flea in your pubic hair tries very hard to get personal and cozy with you, do you think it will work? Mmmm... I'm not sure.

Different levels, nothing in common to share. We are god-like to the likes of ants and flies. Do we care who is praising us and who is blaming us between them?

Originally posted by PUNJABEE+Dec 12, 2003 @ 03:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PUNJABEE @ Dec 12, 2003 @ 03:26 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-racketboy@Dec 12, 2003 @ 07:22 AM

At least they don't seem as cultish as Jehovahs Witnesses.

How do the JWs seem 'cultish'?

What do they do that makes you think that? [/b][/quote]

my cousin is a JW

Back