Hmm islam

Originally posted by racketboy+Dec 12, 2003 @ 03:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Dec 12, 2003 @ 03:31 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by PUNJABEE@Dec 12, 2003 @ 03:26 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-racketboy
@Dec 12, 2003 @ 07:22 AM

At least they don't seem as cultish as Jehovahs Witnesses.

How do the JWs seem 'cultish'?

What do they do that makes you think that?

my cousin is a JW [/b][/quote]

um... ok.

So how do they seem cultish, that's what I was asking. What makes them seem that way.

Originally posted by dhau+Dec 12, 2003 @ 03:11 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dhau @ Dec 12, 2003 @ 03:11 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-racketboy@Dec 12, 2003 @ 02:22 AM

I believe in having a personal relationship with God instead of simply following a set of rules.

Muah-ha-ha, this is so cute! It reminds me about two episodes about being a god, one with Lisa Simpson and her scientific project and the other with Bender in outer space.

But really, if a flea in your pubic hair tries very hard to get personal and cozy with you, do you think it will work? Mmmm... I'm not sure.

Different levels, nothing in common to share. We are god-like to the likes of ants and flies. Do we care who is praising us and who is blaming us between them? [/b][/quote]

Thanks for making fun of me.

Anyway, if you actually read the Bible, you'll find that's what God actually wants.

You shouldn't always rely on what your "instincts" tell you. Maybe you should actually research it.

Originally posted by VertigoXX@Dec 12, 2003 @ 12:24 PM

You get right down to it, the muslim koran, the jewish koran, and the christian old testament are all alternate translations of the same stories.

Actually Christian believe the same Old Testiment as the Jews.

We just have the New Testiment in addition to it.

Since Jews don't believe that Jesus was the Messiah, they don't have that.

And while you're general statement may be true, the must important thing IMO, how you get to heaven (or whatever you want to call it) is significantly different. What happens to you when you die is a rather important thing to consider.

Originally posted by dhau@Dec 12, 2003 @ 03:11 PM

Different levels, nothing in common to share. We are god-like to the likes of ants and flies. Do we care who is praising us and who is blaming us between them?

Did we create the ants? No

Did God create us? I believe so

Racket,

I don't mean to sound annoying, but I was wondering about your comment about JWs. My mom, and my wife are JWs as well, and I go to their meetings..

Ive heard several people mention the fact that they think JWs are cultish, but those opinions are usually uninformed, and misguided by friends/family's comments.

Just wondering.

Originally posted by racketboy+Dec 12, 2003 @ 10:45 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Dec 12, 2003 @ 10:45 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jurai@Dec 12, 2003 @ 03:40 PM

i agree with racketboy :)

thanks man -- always nice to get a little support :) [/b][/quote]

tnshi probably does too, tag doesnt tho :(

Originally posted by PUNJABEE+Dec 12, 2003 @ 03:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PUNJABEE @ Dec 12, 2003 @ 03:32 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by racketboy@Dec 12, 2003 @ 03:31 PM

Originally posted by PUNJABEE@Dec 12, 2003 @ 03:26 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-racketboy
@Dec 12, 2003 @ 07:22 AM

At least they don't seem as cultish as Jehovahs Witnesses.

How do the JWs seem 'cultish'?

What do they do that makes you think that?

my cousin is a JW

um... ok.

So how do they seem cultish, that's what I was asking. What makes them seem that way. [/b][/quote]

well I can't spend too much time elaborating since I have to hurry up and take my mother-in-law to Oakland to see my father-in-law before his surgery, but to be breif -- they try to generalize things to get you in. If you ever read their promotional stuff they try to make it sound very plain-vanilla Christian. But in reality they have some very drastic differences in their ultimate beliefs. The don't celebrate any holidays, which seem kinda odd. It's kinda hard to put it all in words, but a general community/cult (which may be a strong word) feeling seems to show up.

BTW, PUNJABEE I don't mean to be offensive, but that's just what I've gathered.

I'm far from an expert on every denomination (there are a lot)

Originally posted by racketboy+Dec 12, 2003 @ 10:45 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Dec 12, 2003 @ 10:45 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jurai@Dec 12, 2003 @ 03:40 PM

thanks man -- always nice to get a little support :) [/b][/quote]

I'm too old and cynical, and I read much too many books on subject to realize that there is no true value in any of those systems. One can worship His Shadow. Another might have intimate relations with leafs and stones around her. It's all a waste of time. A total recognition of pointlessnes of our existance.

Originally posted by dhau+Dec 12, 2003 @ 03:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dhau @ Dec 12, 2003 @ 03:56 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by racketboy@Dec 12, 2003 @ 10:45 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-Jurai
@Dec 12, 2003 @ 03:40 PM

thanks man -- always nice to get a little support :)

I'm too old and cynical, and I read much too many books on subject to realize that there is no true value in any of those systems. One can worship His Shadow. Another might have intimate relations with leafs and stones around her. It's all a waste of time. A total recognition of pointlessnes of our existance. [/b][/quote]

whatever dude

what man thinks is knowledge can get us in a lot of trouble

Hey, no offense taken =)

Well, the reason they don't do holidays is because all holidays are based on what are called Pagan beliefs.

Christmas : Its not Jesus' birthday, the actual date is never mentioned in the Bible. And it sorta makes sense that Jesus birthday would NOT be in the dead of winter, seeing as how there were still farmers out with their animals in the time of year. Secondly, Ceaser had called a Census when Mary was still pregnant with Jesus, and they had to travel by mule to Bethlehem Ephratha, to be part of the Census, now with a society in a little bit of turmoil from things going on aruond that time, (not real good with history or Id name examples) he would not have asked millions of people to travel in the dead of winter to take part in a Census. It only makes sense. He was 33 1/2 years old when he died, and he wasnt born in 1, or 0. (there was no Year 0). He died in 27 CE, so if you count back 33, taking into account the extra year 1, (it went 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3) you arrive at 2 BCE. We just don't know the actual date.

Birthdays : If God doesnt think its important to mention his own Son's birthdate, why celebrate ours? The only two birthdays mentioned in the bible, someone was killed.

Thanksgiving : thats a National holiday, not even reallya HOLY-DAY, which is what a Holiday is. God never told us to give thanks to the Native Americans for ripping their land from them.

Halloween: Hallow's Eve, its spiritisic, and has to do with demons, the dead, the afterlife, etc.. Its based on remembering the dead, or believing that they come back for one night after death. The Bible states there is no activity after death. "but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten" Ecclesiastes 9:5 The bible claims there is no afterlife.

Thats just an example, Im not an expert myself, or I'd go in to greater detail about Valentines day, Easter, etc. Im still studying with them.

They don't have a drastic change in lifestyle or anything, though some people, depending on their circumstances may have to make significant changes, if they were living a life of prostitution, drugs, illegal activity, spiritistic practices, etc. Its not like they have to castrate all the men and have women be servants or anything.

Anyway, yeah man, no offense taken at all, I was just curious, as Ive heard that comment several times.

Oops, I forgot to mention.. the only "holy-day" that people are told to remember by God, (via the bible) is the Death of his Son, who died for all of imperfect mankind.

Most people call this the "Last Supper" before Jesus died, where he took and broke some loaves of bread, and passed some wine around, representing his body and blood. Thats one thing the Witnesses commemorate every year, on the date corresponding to Nisan 14, by the Jewish Calendar, so it sorta floats around May and April.

Well, despite my previous comment, I can admit that I'm slightly freaked out by JW's as well. My aunt and grandmother are both Jehovah's Witnesses. My aunt is certainly a very nice lady- and I'm sure my grandmother is as well, however I've never met her, largely because she lives in the JW community in Brooklyn and is kept sheltered away from anyone in the family other than my aunt. Hence my father and uncle have not seen her in a very long time either. I can't speak of all JW's, but that kind of 'protection' seems very cultish to me.

Originally posted by it290@Dec 12, 2003 @ 11:39 AM

I can't speak of all JW's, but that kind of 'protection' seems very cultish to me.

Haha, this reminds me about Trailer Park town in Idoru (or was it Idoru 2?) by William Gibson

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Dec 12, 2003 @ 03:27 PM

Meh at least JW's arent as freaky as Mormons

You didn't seen Catholics :)

Last year they occupied the whole Toronto to see their Papa. It was so annoying, gospel everythere.

Back