Vote for Soul Calibur at GameFAQS!

Originally posted by CrazyGoon+Apr 30, 2004 @ 02:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CrazyGoon @ Apr 30, 2004 @ 02:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-it290@Apr 30, 2004 @ 06:16 PM

HL pretty much reinvented the FPS genre.

Re-invented? It's still the same old thing, except you can buy weapons...

Resurrected maybe.. [/b][/quote]

That's counter-strike, a multi-player mod, not HL. HL is an FPS with a fantastic plot.

This is a cross genre comparison, so I prefer to think of comparison in percentages. KH is a good game, but I'm hesitant to say a 'great' game. Soul Calibur, on the other hand, is better. I'm saying this on the basis of what KH is to regular RPGs, and what SC is to fighters.

First problem: KH is not an RPG, it's an action/adventure with RPG elements.

SC offers gameplay second to none, and has a very deep story (which is seriously lacking in most fighters). It has a lot more replay value than most fighters as well.

It offers gameplay second to none? Guilty Gear X2 completely destroys it as far as gameplay goes. The only 'complex' move you can do in SC is Guard Impact. Whoopee.

Mortal Kombat actually has a deep story too, just nobody really gave a shit. Same with SC.

And I disagree on replay value, too - I'm really, REALLY sick of playing SC/SC2.... but I can still play GGX2 against one person for hours, trying new combinations of Specials.

KH was on the cusp of being great, I will admit. However, it didn't capture the 'Disney' magic, although Square really had free reign to do so. This really was the first time in a long while that Square could've taken RPGs well past the tried and true Final Fantasy mold - but didn't.

I very strongly disagree that it didn't capture the 'Disney' magic - it did so, and did so marvellously. And again, it isn't an RPG, and should NEVER be compared to Final Fantasy (except in lame GameFAQs polls).

So, what I'm saying is, relative to their own genres, SC did a lot more for its genre than KH did. Just simply comparing the two (in my honest opinion) is fairly stupid, and really is an indictment of the internet gaming community which doesn't really give a second thought to those kinds of comparisons. I suppose I'm just stating the obvious, since Starcraft apparently only *narrowly* beat Halo. Yes, Halo is fun, but it's fun in the same way Counterstrike or (my favorite) TFC is fun: you get a lot of people playing together. StarCraft... is, well, StarCraft.

SC did a lot less for its genre than Virtua Fighter did... and SC wasn't even the first game in its series - SoulBlade was. If you want to get technical, though, SoulBlade was an improvement on Battle Arena Toshinden...

KH isn't particularly revolutionary at all, though. Not that it tried to be.

and fantastic AI for the time. I'm thoroughly disgusted that people chose MP over half life. That pisses me off more than Starcraft over halo.

StarCraft: First RTS game to have wildly different races, and at the same time first RTS game with THREE races, not just two - and all of them balanced. Has an incredibly strong single-player Campaign with six sections which hold together beautifully, with a perfect difficulty curve. Supports 8-player multiplayer, free online play which hardly lags at all on 56k. Great animations at 640x480 - at the time a very good resolution. Lots of good voice acting (though there is some bad).

HALO: First FPS game to.... er... yeah! First FPS game to... um... wait, I can get this one... First FPS game to... what? AH! Got it! First FPS game to use PIXEL SHADERS! (what an accomplishment) Has a single player that repeats the same 4 areas over and over. (severely) unbalanced weapons. Poor frame rate. Great co-op (what game with Co-Op DOESN'T have great co-op?). Extremely fun if you can get 2-4 Xboxes and 6-16 people together.

I still want to know what's so revolutionary about HALO.

Edit: Another thing - SC has StarEdit. Do I need to elaborate on that point?

Yeah, I have to say that StarCraft is a better game than Halo... I did enjoy Halo, and I'm not much of an RTS fan, but still, StarCraft is probably the best RTS game ever. I like WC3 and AoM a little better on a personal level, but nothing beats SC for competitive play.

It's all opinion, people choose what they like better. I never really cared much for RTS games, therefore I think Halo is a better game. I do not disagree that Starcraft had a greater impact though.

SC2 has easy gameplay that looks real cool. It has depth too, but they coolest part about the fighting aspect is the blocking/parry system (I think). GGX is prob. my FAVE fighter ever. I just can't get enough of it. SC on the other hand is fun, but wears out relativly quickly. Not fast, but a lot quicker than a lot of games.

The VF series is a great one, juts not main-stream. Why? cuz it has a pretty strong learning curve (if ya wanna do much besides friends/first couple of comp. opponents)

Once again, it ultimately comes down to opinion, and everyone has their own/different one.

Yet another reason why I love VF: It's not mainstream. If VF ever went mainstream, I swear, I'd probably stop playing games period...

I dunno, VF4 is pretty 'mainstream'. It's probably the most popular console fighter out there right now, with the exception of SC2. The first VF was also an incredibly popular and well-known game, although it was somewhat overshadowed in the arcades by the SFs and MKs.

VF is nowhere NEAR mainstream! Don't ever dare mention the greatest game series being mainstream ever again! I'll have to hurt you!

VF is nowhere NEAR mainstream! Don't ever dare mention the greatest game series being mainstream ever again! I'll have to hurt you!

Uh, I don't know why you care so much; it's not as if being popular makes a game any less good. But really, behind SF, Tekken, and MK, Virtua Fighter is probably the most recognized name in fighting games. Fighting games aren't really mainstream with the gaming public these days, but as far as they go, VF4 is definitely one of the more popular ones. And, as I mentioned, the first game was VERY popular. I dont see why there's anything wrong with that. The game isn't any less 'cool' for it.

Does KH have a "tactical combat system"? -- When you encounter battles, you should be sent into a battle screen, which you are given options in how to approach the current situation. These options are generally attack/ defend/ use item/ or run from the battle. -- If there isn’t the tactical combat system, then you’re not playing an RPG.

We've had this conversation before, but I'll say it again. Having this type of battle system isn't what makes a RPG; there are a lot of games, like Daggerfall, that don't use this kind of system but are still most certainly RPGs.

Yeah, it290 - don't worry about that, I've come to realise there are 2 types of RPG's now, just like there is with the Strategy genre.

I still need to think of how to distinguish these 2 types of RPG's from other genres though (they still get mixed up)..

Originally posted by Tagrineth@May 2, 2004 @ 10:34 PM

Supports 8-player multiplayer, free online play which hardly lags at all on 56k. Great animations at 640x480 - at the time a very good resolution.

*deletes most of a long and obviously very passionate post for quoting purposes*

About the speed of Starcraft with dialup, I disagree with you. In B.net's better years, I experienced NO lag issues (caused by myself) even in large games - on a hardware ISA 33.6. It was even better when I had Seganet, before that kicked the bucket. Also, because of how Starcraft hosting was handled, I could also host games (which is *not* possible for weaker connections with WC3, which sucks anyway). My broadband-using friends were always surprised that I had a consistent 2-3 green bars.

On the issue of graphics, Starcraft looked and ran incredibly well for its time, and for some time afterwards. My 200Mhz Pentium MMX ran it incredibly well even in extra large maps. The graphics/performance (and more) in Diablo II were downright disappointing coming from the company that did such amazing work with Diablo 1 and Starcraft.

Supergrom: I found that the true strength of Starcraft was in its replayability. Part of it was the great balance and variety you'd encounter in each game, and part of it was the custom maps via Staredit (and later more powerful editors). The scripting allowed you to do some amazing stuff, I had always thought the WC II map editors were good before that, but this was amazing.

Originally posted by Cloud121@May 3, 2004 @ 01:16 AM

Sorry I had to reply to this too. Two things come to mind after reading that.

1) So you'll be pissed if it becomes very successful?

2) Yes, I am sure he fears the beating you'd deliver if he mentioned it again.

I would say VF is pretty mainstream in Japan, in the arcades at least. As long as Sega dont dumb down the gameplay to get to get there, who cares if the game is popular.

I wish VF was more popular, I have no real competition :( .

The main reason as to why I'd be so upset about VF going mainstream, is because I'd have to listen to people say things like "Man! VF is so tight!" "VF is the shit!" "VF is the best!"

VF players take pride in their skill as VF players, and we wouldn't want all these new VF "players" who know jack shit about the game, coming up. That's what Tekken and Soul Calibur are for. The only problem being, those aren't even fighting games! They be button-mashers.

VF IS successful, in Japan anyway. Without VF, Sega would not be where they are today.

Another reason why I'd hate it if VF were mainstream, Sega would get lazy with the series. That's the problem with popular games these days. Developers are getting lazier and lazier with there sequels and such. It's very irritating.

Oh and Blaze, you need some real competition? Come to my house. Let's see what you got against Sarah and myself! :lol: :hehehe: :smokin:

Imma go play some VF Evolution now.

You guys have JUST noticed that I live, breathe, eat, drink, and sleep VF? Man.. I figured by now most of you would have (I know Blaze has). Here's a guy's post at a Hentai message board I visit, and my reply:

Originally posted by "Iori"

Tekken is great. So much better then Virtua fighter. I don't want any elitist posers coming in here going off on how cool it is to hate on Tekken and brag about how they were raised to Virtua fighter. Both came out around the same time, and Tekken was the more advanced fighter with "ACTUAL MOTION CAPTURE". And it has more moves and combos. I have every virtua fighter and every tekken. I do accept the fact that Tekken 4 sucks.

But Tekken Tag is still way more fun to play over Virtua Fighter 4.

As for the worst game ever made...I'd say the GAIA sisters. LOL

Heh.. just keep going on playing your pathetic excuse of a "fighting game". A game that requires no strategy, has NO depth, and is just a button masher. VF first came out in 1994, Tekken came out in 1995. Also, VF is all motion captured. More moves and combos? More moves = No, More combos = Yes, and NO DEPTH! You have every Virtua Fighter and Tekken eh? Do you really have all these VFs?

Virtua Fighter (Saturn)

Virtua Fighter Remix (Saturn)

Virtua Fighter (32x)

Virtua Fighter 2 (Saturn)

Virtua Fighter Kids (Saturn)

Fighters Megamix (Saturn)

Virtua Fighter Animation (Game Gear)

Virtua Fighter CG Collection (Saturn)

Virtua Fighter 2 (MegaDrive)

Virtua Fighter 3 (Dreamcast)

Virtua Fighter 4 (PoS2)

Virtua Fighter Evolution (PoS2)

The only one I don't have is VF Animation (VF CG Collection isn't a game, just a bunch of VF2 pictures rendered on Model 3 hardware (VF3 graphics)).

You don't want any "elitest posers" coming on saying they were raised on VF? You certainly sound like that right now with Tekken. The only reason as to why Tekken is more fun for you, is because you haven't spent the time to learn VF. VF takes A LOT of time to learn, to get good at, and has a steep learning curve.

Tekken is the more advanced fighter? Then why has VF won awards for it's deep and ground-breaking gameplay? Why has Yu Suzuki won awards for producing the VF series?

Oh and DOA (to me), while very fun (it runs off a modified VF engine), is just VF for button mashers. At least it has a LITTLE depth... as opposed to the depthless Tekken and Soul Calibur....

Originally posted by Cloud121@May 3, 2004 @ 10:02 PM

You guys have JUST noticed that I live, breathe, eat, drink, and sleep VF? Man.. I figured by now most of you would have (I know Blaze has). Here's a guy's post at a Hentai message board I visit, and my reply:

I just like to look for excuses to be sarcastic :)

BTW, I do agree with you:

VF > Soul Calibur > Tekken/Dead or Alive (not sure which of those is better)

Actually.. it's VF > DOA > Tekken > Soul Calibur

You forgot to add DOA

I actually like Tekken more than Soul Calibur. I'm not a big weapon fighting fan.

Back