The PSP/DS Thread

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Wed, 2004-12-08 @ 01:46 AM

Anyway, by "popular" I meant "worldwide standard", and the fan analogy has no relation with anything mentioned here.
Since when has something being "standard" ever meant a damn to Sony? :D

Oh, and the Imageon is a joke, the DS is underpowered and overpriced, and the PSP has weak battery life and bad load times. Whoops, did I say that?

I like both the PSP and the DS because they seem to be two very different approaches to handhelds. For the longest time, consoles have just been trying to do the same things better than the other.

However, both the PSP and the DS have very different strengths and weaknesses.

The PSP has its graphics, RAM, and its UMDs can hold more than Nintendo's carts can.

The DS has increased multiplayer functions, some new ways of controlling/interacting with games, and promises of internet functionality.

Personally, the DS appeals more to me. The fact that I can still play my GBA games on it is quite attractive. I probably won't get it any time soon, but I will get it before I get the PSP.

Really, I don't require very complex games for portable play. It just needs to be fun in order to fill a few hours. I personally think games of GBA-caliber can do that well. I'm sure the PSP will offer some great things, but the DS appeals to me more for a variety of reasons. But everyone's covered most of them already, so... end of post!

Call me when those pricks at Nintendo bring out a new handheld with Super Gameboy support. No, no you won't be needing my number.

I was an early adopter of the original GBA back in 2001. I actually bought an import version so I got it even before it was released officially in the states. With the DS I am taking a wait-and-see approach to the new portable for several reasons: 1, the GBA SP is an immaculately designed portable and satisfies me completely and 2, the PSP is bound to hit US shores soon (enough) and I'm waiting to see the verdict on that system as well.

While I like the idea of dual screens, I don't like the fact that the DS lacks an analog control stick. I guess that excluded it to focus gamers more on the touch screen for an "analog substitute," but I've heard the results are less than good. Has anyone tried out a DS with this faux-analog system? How is Mario 64 DS with it? I loved the original Mario 64, but if I have to deal with a frustrating control system, no dice.

From the looks of it, Nintendo will really have to produce some original software for the DS to compete against the DS, because the PSP blows aways the DS in terms of graphics. Just look at the difference between Ridge Racer DS and Ridge Racer for the PSP. It's not exactly subtle. And, the PSP does have an analog pad. While I've heard the PSP has a pitiful battery life, I don't play portable games in marathon sessions, even during international flights, so it isn't a deal breaker for me?

What are your guys' 2 cents? As far as I'm concerned, the DS's only good game now is Mario 64 DS....

I'm more interested in the DS as it has more potential to have games which are different to those on other platforms. I like the fact it can do things which would not be possible from a console connected to a TV.

The PSP doesnt interest me yet , as all it seems to be offering so far are small screen versions of PS2 games.

Gimme the DS over Sony's handheld anyday.

I absolutely love the DS' dual screens, and the touch pad. Nintendo is trying to go for innovative features. They started with the DS, and it will continue with the Revolution.

Until Sony fixes the problems with the hardware, I'm not buying (as much as I love the Ridge Racer series, still no buy).

It's kinda sad that their second console, and handheld are built WORSE than their FIRST console! You'd think they'd learn by now.....

Hell, I don't even own a GBA or an SP yet. :(

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Wed, 2005-01-26 @ 04:26 PM

It's kinda sad that their second console, and handheld are built WORSE than their FIRST console! You'd think they'd learn by now.....

Wha? The PS1 was horribly erratic. Hell, even in out-of-the-box condition, the 333x and 555x series have issues with a few games.

The PSOne is the worst of the two, if that's what you mean. Yes.

The PSX had trouble yes, but not nearly as bad as the PS2.

PSX known problems:

Games freezing

Disc scratching

Some games not working correctly? (Never heard this problem. Tag brought it up.)

PSOne known problems:

Same as PSX's, only a bit worse.

PS2 known problems:

Memory card erasures (Japanese launch models)

Games freezing

Scratched discs

Disc tray not ejecting

Slowly discs stop working (PSX, CD (Blue disc), DVD-ROM, DVD movies)

PSP known problems:

Broken pixels

Bubbles in screen

Analog "sticks" breaking off, or not working

Media popping out if held certain ways.

There ya go.

Well, if rumors are true and the DS comes out w/ online capability...i'll buy one for sure. Hell, i'd rather pay for mobile online play than something like XBL.

I'm excited about both of them myself.. I like the general idea of the DS better though, the PSP is just trying to be a portable that does everything a non-portable does, which is still cool, cause the specs on it are fairly impressive, minus the battery life issue.

The Wi-Fi built into the DS can connect with wireless routers, so I think it's fairly safe to say that online capabilities are just a matter of time.

I'd never buy either of them but I've played my brother's DS. I have to admit Metroid Prime Hunters (First Hunt) plays amazingly with the touch screen, and Mario 64 DS is great if for some reason you want to play Mario 64 again on a much tinier screen. I think the only thing DS will contribute to gaming is developers will be able to rehash their old games like never before. Aside from Feel the Magic, it seems no one is going to do anything clever with the touch screen aside from displaying maps.

The PSP I can't really comment on, but based on what I've seen it looks like a Battery Goblin that shoots expensive discs not totally unlike those Nerf guns I used to play with as a kid.

I don't see a significant number of games for either to make them worth buying. It's beyond me why the GBA had to be cast aside to make room for this garbage.

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Fri, 2005-01-28 @ 07:35 PM

You DO KNOW that the DS wasn't made to replace the GBA/GBSP right?

[post=128572]Quoted post[/post]​

Allegedly, but it is what will eventually happen. Saying that a new superior piece of hardware won't replace an older item is ridiculous.

I agree w/ Dud....it will replace it eventually, unless they get a new upgrade to the GBA that is more liek a GBA and less liek a DS. but that would prob. end the DS's reign, lol

The PSP is already outselling the DS, no matter what Nintendo/DS fanboys have to say, the DS does not have much to offer at the moment, nothing either "innovative" or interesting, just a couple of remakes, mediocre graphics/audio and nothing special.

Seems like developers cannot really keep up with the hardware, using the second screen for map/inventory is one of the cheapest ways to avoid any kind of innovation.

Right now, the PSP is winning, it offers what we get from current generation systems, but portable, it also plays movies/video and audio files like any portable media player - really nice.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Tue, 2005-02-01 @ 08:25 AM

, it offers what we get from current generation systems, but portable,

[post=128840]Quoted post[/post]​

That why I dont want it at the moment, it only offers the type of games I can already get on my PS2, only on a small screen, with a worse control system and poor battery life.

The key thing for me is that the type of games I like to play on handheld systems are completly different to the ones I play on the home consoles.

I do not understand... I mean... Nintendo portable systems are now only getting ports from Super Famicom or Nintendo64... so... what type of games do you like to play in a portable system?

- And anyway, was not that what rendered the Nomad so good?

True, that is what made the Nomad so good. But then it was also during a time of 2d gaming. Portable gaming does really well in 2D. But for 3D, its meh... well in my opinion its meh. I don't like playing 3D games on such a small screen with a D-Pad. Mario DS sucks fat balls (although it is actually kinda better then the n64 version for reasons I don't need to get into... n64 sucks).

When I get a handheld I am looking for a long lasting, easy to carry, durable, gaming environment that doesn't strain my eyes. To put it simply, no portable has done it yet! (well I haven't tried the GBA with the back light... I got an SP, so I never got to test it out)

ALL gameboys have hurt my eyes until the SP, feel horrible in my hand, but have great battery life!

All Sega portable felt great in my hands, didn't bother my eyes that much, but had awful battery life.

The PSP looks like its going to LOOK beautiful, but feel awful in my hands and have crap battery life.

So we get to the DS... it doesn't hurt my eyes, it has decent battery life, and only annoys my hands when I am lieing in bed playing it. Sounds good to me! As for games go, the DS is going to get a great deal of good games. WHY? well soon enough the GBA will phase out, the DS having backwards compatibility and all (well to the GBA atleast... why not the original GB???) and the great software makers who work on the GBA will start coming over to the DS!!! yey!!!

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Tue, 2005-02-01 @ 09:03 AM

I do not understand... I mean... Nintendo portable systems are now only getting ports from Super Famicom or Nintendo64... so... what type of games do you like to play in a portable system?

- And anyway, was not that what rendered the Nomad so good?

[post=128842]Quoted post[/post]​

Only two of the games I own for GBA are ports and neither of those are from the SNES. I like GBA because the games made for it are different to what I can get on the consoles, very few 2D games are released on other systems.

Also I would never play a long story based game on a handheld, I prefer games which can be played in short bursts which the GBA has a lot of.

I'm yet to be fully impressed by either of the new systems, i just feel that the DS has more potential as its dual screen system could not be done with a typical console.

I would like a nomad as a lot of MD games fit well with how I like handheld games.

Lord has a point. The main reason I bought a GBA was for Castlevania and Metroid. GBA offers a last resort for new 2d platform gaming. I'm kinda turned off most games I've seen from both systems.

If anything, I'm getting the DS for Warioware.

Back