The PSP/DS Thread

Unless the price is real low, I doubt I will pick one up. I haven't been very satisfied with the PS2. I also refuse to buy a second copy of music and movie discs. If I can not simple dump my copy on a disc, i could care less.

It won't be cheap. It will be powerful. I don't know if I'll ever buy one, but competition in the handheld market is good. Nintendo gets to do whatever they want, right now.

I really hope Nintendo puts the PSP in it's place: the bargain bin 6 months after release day. Same with the new Ngage, I guess Nokia didn't get the hint the first time around. I'm so sick of every Tom, Dick, and Harry making there own portable game system.

I'm not a very big fan of Gameboy Advance either. If I burnt all my SNES cartridges onto GBA cartridges I'd probably have half the GBA's game library. Don't get me wrong there are some quality games especially from Intelligent Systems, and Sega. However, this porting of old games is going too far especially the Classic NES series. They could fit the entire Classic NES series on one cartridge but instead they sell them seperately at $20 each :rant. At this rate the portable system in ten years is going to be nothing but gamecube ports.

I'm sick of this bullshit. This is all just my opinion though, I could be wrong ;).

The PSP LOOKS great. But i seem to remember a very very similar situation at the beginning of the nineties. The gameby had been out for a while and there were two more powerful competitors on the horizon, the game gear and the lynx. Both systems surpassed the gameboy graphically etc. Both the Lynx and the Gamegear attracted heaps of positive press and the life of the little 1Mhz Gameboy looked VERY shaky indeed.

Ironically, the technology in the Lynx and the Game Gear was its undoing, all the graphics and sound in the world couldnt escape the fact that both systems hada pathetic battery life. The result was one were Gameboy emerged the victor for some not-so-obvious reasons to the competitors R+D.

So were are we today? we have the Gameboy Advance SP and on the Horizon we have the PSP and the DS. Sony's people have already stated that the system will have a 2.5 hour battery life, which equates to a REAL WORLD figure of around HALF that; right?

Will the DS be any better?, who knows. One thing is for shure though, this scenario has been played out before and battery life is paramount for handhelds.

Other percieved failing for the PSP will be its price tag, durability (www.slashdot.org has an article about how the GBA is the most durable consumer device as reported in wired magazine!) and the ability for developers to release their games at a reasonable price and with adequate support.

Sony have also taken the wise steps to ensure they have final say on what gets published on the PSP by using a proprietary format disc; remeber Nintendo and the NES?

So after this rather negative rant what are the positives of the PSP? well know can argue with POTENTIAL software library that is already seen in the potential to port old PS1 titles.

I am actually looking foward to the psp. So long its no more than 200 bucks, cause even at that, its too expensive. But i would be willing to dish out the cash.

Originally posted by mountaindud@Jun 15, 2004 @ 07:01 AM

I really hope Nintendo puts the PSP in it's place: the bargain bin 6 months after release day. Same with the new Ngage, I guess Nokia didn't get the hint the first time around. I'm so sick of every Tom, Dick, and Harry making there own portable game system.

Two things: Sony isn't a Tom, Dick, or Harry. Second, you want the company that currently monopolizes the handheld market to continue to do so? I'm sorry, but for what it is packing, the GBA SP is not worth $100. But they can EASILY charge that much, as there is no alternative.

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Jun 16, 2004 @ 12:27 AM

Two things: Sony isn't a Tom, Dick, or Harry. Second, you want the company that currently monopolizes the handheld market to continue to do so?.....

Hmmm, yeah I guess I said that. :unsure: I'd really rather handhelds go away completely though. I guess I'd rather have Nintendo monopolize that market just so it doesn't become anything more than Nintendo's source of extra cash. I want developers to focus on regular game consoles. :wanker

And whatever Sony is I am not buying their stupid overpriced machine (and yes GBA-SP is overpriced as well).

The PSP looks cool....but it's gunan be the same damn games we have been playin since the mid 90's. There isn't anything new there, at all. The consoles are gunna be gettin the better versions of new games, and 90% of the other games will be remakes of olkd PSX/PS2 games that we have on our consoles anyways.

This is why I believe the DS will be the one I pick, it's sumthing new and fresh, not just the same old shit again.

Mountain: Well, I can agree with not buying a PSP. But since I know handhelds aren't going away, I would welcome the competition regardless.

Pearl: (haha I called you Pearl) Yeah, you could say the same thing about the Virtual Boy. So innovative. Unfortunetely, the DS will inevitably succeed and (assuming I eventually buy one for Sega titles) I'll be forced to use an idiotic touchscreen even if I don't want to.

You know why I think they did it? To make it a huge PITA to emulate. Yeah. Now you have to use a mouse or something silly while you're emulating it, in addition to regular controls.

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Jun 16, 2004 @ 02:08 PM

The PSP looks cool....but it's gunan be the same damn games we have been playin since the mid 90's. There isn't anything new there, at all. The consoles are gunna be gettin the better versions of new games, and 90% of the other games will be remakes of olkd PSX/PS2 games that we have on our consoles anyways.

This is why I believe the DS will be the one I pick, it's sumthing new and fresh, not just the same old shit again.

Sony stated that no ports will be done what-so-ever. It will be all new. So thinking about that makes it a little better. And the graphics kick DS in the balls. Mario kart on DS looked Fugtacular IMO compared to games like Metal Gear Solid on PSP. I am sorry, but I am still gonna chose PSP over DS.

Granted the PSP's battery life will probably be abysmal, I seriously doubt that TWO BACKLIT screens (a concept which I still think is retarded, useless and gimmicky *cough* virtuaboy! *cough*) will be too easy on batteries. Too many 'intendo fanboys are riding Miyamoto's tip and are scared their great legacy will be usurped by the evil Sony conglomerate :rolleyes: They're just games created by companies motivated by the same thing: desire to make the most money.

I'll be choosing PSP, TYVM. I have no desire to own a 'Game & Watch 2004' :wanker

Some of the DS games look like crap. But some PS2 games look like crap. The stuff from Metroid looks great. I'm sure both handhelds will be decent. My single complaint is the price issue. There is no way Sony is gonna sell the PSP for less than $300. And I have no desire spedning that much for a handheld system. Yup-de-do, it can but new copies of music and movies on special media to play on my PSP. F' that. Unless they make a way for me to transfer my stuff and not buy new ones, I have no friggin interest. And I personally have had terrible luck with Sony systems. I owned 2 Playstations, and I am on PS2 #2. And I never modded either system.

that is cool, better than my regular ps one portable battery, 8 hours more for a nice road trip

also people should dog it cause its sony, might be better than we know it

8 hours isn't too bad, although I'm sure that will vary considerably depending on what the game does (example: A Space Channel 5-type game has to read from the disc a lot more than say, Ikaruga does). If they would just rotate the screen 90 degrees, I'd probably buy one.

Back