The PSP/DS Thread

I think the PSP will have it's place, but I think it'll take a while before it truly takes off. It's a bit pricey, the battery life isn't that good (maybe the worse thing about it is that it's variable - it depends on the application) and now it seems the loading times are sluggish. Those kinds of things counts a lot of points in the portable market, that IS different than the home console market. things might get better when Sony releases a new PSP model and get lower prices.

The PSP success also depends on public and 3rd party developer response in regards to original content. It's very likely that the PSP will be flooded with straight ports of existing games (the current launch title list is full of them already), with changes being limited to downscale the graphics (the PSP is miles behind the PS2 in terms of power and RAM) and control scheme changes in a few games (since there are no L2, R2, nor R3).

Right now developers are playing it safe and avoiding doing anything too ambitious on it.

I also fear the UMD drive will not be used to it's fullest. The budget and development cycles for portable games are much lower than home console games. Due to RAM limits, you can't get much on screen on the PSP, so making a game use 1.8 GB means lots of unique content (many levels/areas/characters, each with unique textures), and such content plays a big part in a game's budget (ever noticed that low budget games are often short, or reuse graphics a lot?). Developers are also being advised to avoid streaming data from the UMD constantly (FMV and music), and will hardly fill a whole disc up.

But I can predict nothing. This situation is nothing but an experiment: both the PSP and the DS have distinct proposals as portables. Time will tell which one the public will fall in love with, and that will shape the future market.

Pricey? The system costs about 30 USD more than the Nintendo DS.

RAM limitations? The PSP has 32Mb Main RAM (4Mb embedded DRAM), which is actually a lot for a handheld system.

RAM limitations? The PSP has 32Mb Main RAM (4Mb embedded DRAM), which is actually a lot for a handheld system.

How much RAM does the DS have?

Right now developers are playing it safe and avoiding doing anything too ambitious on it.

Obviously. They want to get more comfortable with the hardware.

Time will tell which one the public will fall in love with

I love the DS, but the PSP looks pretty good. As long as it doesn't breakdown as easily as the consoles (I've never had any problems with my Sony stuff, but the stories I've heard worry me sometimes).

New Ridge Racer... :drool:

It's a bit pricey, the battery life isn't that good (maybe the worse thing about it is that it's variable - it depends on the application) and now it seems the loading times are sluggish.

Doesn't seem that pricey. Look at what all you get in the "Value Pack"

PSP Unit, AC Adaptor, Battery Pack, 32 MB Memory Stick, Headhpones, Remote Control, SoftCase, and Hand strap, all for only $230 USD.

Given how things are more expensive in Japan usually, should the value pack be released in the States, I predict an even $200.

Pretty good deal. The only problem being, the games are being sold for a full $50.

My Zodiac 2 has 128MB ram and an 8MB dedicated ATI video card :D

Plus with 2 sd slots I have 2x 1gb sd cards in them for storage space.

www.tapwave.com

you know you want one :D

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh+Thu, 2004-12-09 @ 09:30 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RolfWrenWalsh @ Thu, 2004-12-09 @ 09:30 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>How much RAM does the DS have?[/b]

Only 4Mb.

<!--QuoteBegin-IceMan2k
@Thu, 2004-12-09 @ 09:49 AM

My Zodiac 2 has 128MB ram and an 8MB dedicated ATI video card :D

[/quote]

It's ARM9 is still pretty weak compared with the PSP's R4000... and my keitai has an ATi IMAGEON as well.

The PSP performs (for games) better.

QUOTE(RolfWrenWalsh @ Thu, 2004-12-09 @ 09:30 AM)

How much RAM does the DS have?

Only 4Mb.

RAM comparisons are pretty irrelevant when you're putting a cartridge based system next to a disc based one.

Originally posted by it290@Thu, 2004-12-09 @ 12:08 PM

RAM comparisons are pretty irrelevant when you're putting a cartridge based system next to a disc based one.

I was just answering a question.

Originally posted by link343@Thu, 2004-12-09 @ 12:22 PM

The DS has Ridge Racer DS. Get The DS.

A mediocre, awful looking, old Ridge Racer (RRDS is a port of RR64) - or a completely new and beautiful looking Ridge Racer game, with both old a new tracks, and also old a new music, with even remixed classic RR songs (that is what Ridge Racers is).

What would you choose?

Originally posted by link343@Wed, 2004-12-08 @ 09:22 PM

The DS has Ridge Racer DS. Get The DS.

[post=125555]Quoted post[/post]​

I knew about it being for DS as well. Although I'm not quite interested in that one, due to it being a port.

The new Ridge Racer though.... :drool:

Well wait, since the DS version is a port of the N64 version, and that is a port of the original, and I love the original too death..

Hm...

I still gotta go with the new one. :thumbs-up:

for me, the PSP will just be a portable playstation....big whoop in my eyes. I have a nice brand new Sony Wega HDTV to play those games on. Playing games for as much and as long as I have, I get bored with most of them easily. I need something new and fun....something just a lil different that gives you that feeling when you first played Mario 64 (jesus...play for 8hrs and u thought u were playin for 1).

The PSP does however have a few string points, namely the screen. It's just big and beautiful (just how Mal likes his women ;P). The battery life sucks and so do the load times. I don't know which is worst, lol. I am sure lots of people will buy this because it's a playstation product and pretty much only for that reason. The initial sells will be good, but I doubt we'll see numbers even close to the DS (here in the states atleast, japanese market will prob. eat this up).

Time will tell folks....for me it'll most likely be the DS cuz new/fun>old/pretty

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Thu, 2004-12-09 @ 02:37 PM

I need something new and fun

Time will tell folks....for me it'll most likely be the DS cuz new/fun>old/pretty

New like...

Super Mario64 DS (Port)

Animal Crossing (Port)

Metroid Prime - Hunters (based on the Prime series)

Mario Kart DS (based on the Mario Kart series)

Ridge Racer DS (Port)

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (Port)

Spiderman 2 DS (Port)

- aside from Feel the Magic, the DS does not really offer any "new" concept in terms of software.

Originally posted by racketboy@Thu, 2004-12-09 @ 03:09 PM

I'm still happy with my GBA, to be honest.

You mean your portable Super Famicom? Ahahaha~

I do not mean to start another war, I was just pointing it out.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Thu, 2004-12-09 @ 06:14 AM

You mean your portable Super Famicom? Ahahaha~

I do not mean to start another war, I was just pointing it out.

[post=125584]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually its a bit better than SNES.

But yes, there are plenty of ports.

Suprisingly I don't own many of them.

I am talking a new type of gaming. Not just the same shit I have been playin forever. Nothin really pulls at me but feel the magic and mario. Metroid does a lil because a solid FPS game on a handheld is non-existant until this one (I played it for like 10min...the control was nice, who knows how the game is though?).

The touch-screen is mostly what I am talking about "new". This could lead to some cool games/different ways to play games. Nothin too fancy has been shown yet (what do you expect? it was just launched) but hopefully we will see somethin a lil more innovative than what we have. There is definatly more promise in the DS over the PSP.

Back