The PSP/DS Thread

um arent most PSP games mostly rereleases of PSX games...... and DS has a number of games that are not ports............ perhaps the one who made those comments had it backwards. Also the DS system is perfect for the multiasking type people like myself, I would much rather hqve my map on another screen, or to actually see what play I called in a football game or what ever else. 2 screen rox

No looking at the US launch line up its more PS2 ports and new versions of PS\PS2 games added to the usual EA crap.

This is the launch line up:

Ape Escape: On the Loose (Ape Escape PSP)

ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails

Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower

Dynasty Warriors

FIFA 2005

Gretzky NHL

Lumines

Metal Gear Acid

MLB

MVP Baseball

NBA

NBA Street Showdown

Need for Speed Rivals

NFL Street 2 Unleashed

Rengoku: Tower of Purgatory

Ridge Racer

Smartbomb

Spider-Man 2

Tiger Woods PGA Tour

Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix

Twisted Metal: Head On

Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade

Wipeout Pure

World Tour Soccer (Football)

The only game on that list that really interests me is Darkstalkers Chronicle.

hmmmm I needed a SP so I just went and got a DS. I am lovin it but I do find the origional GBA still the most comfy of all of them. The triggers are a lil cramped on the DS and especially the SP. Pretty solid system though, the screen is pretty awesome :). Now they just need some more good games, haha. *awaiting Golden Sun 3*

I think PSP and DS are targeted toward somewhat different markets/needs. DS seems aimed toward a more strictly gaming-oriented crowd, while PSP is trying to also be a "gadget" with the media playback features (I don't know how this may differ from other countries/cultures, but I speak of things like high-powered PDAs, digital cameras, and to a lesser extent high-end MP3 players that seem to be commonly bought at least as much for techno-bling value as for actual usage, in the US). Thus, comparing them is fraught with unfathomable peril and by doing so you invite death... or worse. :D

I noticed we had like five threads about the PSP, comparing it to DS and what not, so I merged them into one topic. Everyone please keep the discussion/bickering about the PSP to this thread.

I saw this ad this morning on my way to work.

Attachments

• DSCN2289.JPG
    DSCN2289.JPG
    614.4 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN2289.JPG
    DSCN2289.JPG
    614.4 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCN2289.JPG
    DSCN2289.JPG
    614.4 KB · Views: 150
For ages I've been waiting to buy myself a GBA SP, but I wouldn't do it if I couldn't buy a flash cart along with it. Then some magical money appeared out from nowhere (no asking!) a few weeks ago and I was like "why not?", and got myself a DS and a 256MB flash cart.

I won't even comment on the GBA part, since it's been awesome, moreso when I can play SMS, NES and even GB/GBC games with the flash cart.

On the DS side, I only have the Metroid demo (waiting for extra cash to buy myself a DS game), but so far it has been very, very good.

Screenshots and even those streaming vids on gaming sites do the system no justice: it looks and moves super smooth on the real thing, and the lack of bilinear filtering is almost unoticeable, and far beyond PSOne graphics: no texture warping and no jittering at all.

I suspect the system runs at 24-bit color depth, because the color gradients are super smooth, with no ugly 16-bit-ish color banding nor dithering (thanks God, because dithering looks horrible on sharp LCD screens).

Ah, and the touch screen input in Metroid was very good, almost as responsive as a keyboard+mouse combo.

It's also far more intuitive for people who barely played any FPS games because both my two younger sisters (8 and 11) managed to play the Metroid demo without any major problems (the jumps are harder for the younger one), and they actually *enjoy* playing it. Same goes for my non-gamer younger brother who can't play Doom for more than 5 minutes. I got him playing the Metroid demo when I wasn't looking once in a while (well, that before he found WarioWare in the flash cart...).

I gave my sisters a rough explanation ("touch and drag on the touch screen to look around, press here to shoot"), and they were running around killing monsters in no time. They also didn't get too confused or totally lost, like when I tried to get them to play Outtrigger. They also fiddle with the bios menus and the pictochat thing with ease.

Originally posted by M3d10n@Wed, 2005-03-09 @ 04:27 PM

Screenshots and even those streaming vids on gaming sites do the system no justice: it looks and moves super smooth on the real thing, and the lack of bilinear filtering is almost unoticeable, and far beyond PSOne graphics: no texture warping and no jittering at all.

Yyyyyup.

There be perspective-correct filtering here, yarr.

No interpolation, but yes perspective correction. Oh well. I figure it's probably a bandwidth-saver.

I suspect the system runs at 24-bit color depth, because the color gradients are super smooth, with no ugly 16-bit-ish color banding nor dithering (thanks God, because dithering looks horrible on sharp LCD screens).

Ding!

My thoughts now that PSP is out:

The motion blur that most PSP games I've seen have... is really awful. Makes games look worse than they should.

The screen is pretty, except when it blurs. Which happens a lot.

The speakers... suck.

And digital volume control annoys me (same with my damn Sony CD player. >.>).

Back