the official gamestop/eb horror stories thread

Originally posted by Shitface@Nov 22, 2003 @ 01:28 PM

Oh yeah, one more storry. Don't worry this one is shorter. I found these saturn games for $1.00 each. Then when i went to buy them, they were all like, You do know this is for the saturn right? Do you know what that is? Its not playstation? And i was like uh, yeah. And then they just laughed at me as i purchased my games. Ignorant bastards!

I bought my saturn at funcoland right before they stopped selling them. When I asked for it the guy gave me a funny look and said "what the hell do you want a saturn for?".

What's the deal with Saturn and Dreamcast basically being erased from Gamestop/Funcoland anyhow? Sure they didn't "win", but It's not like they're Virtual Boy.

Yeah and why arent there ever any saturns up there on the shelf with the snes's, nes's, genesis ps1's etc. The only timne i ever see saturns in there is if they're in the misc bin! THE MISC BIN!

THE SATURN IS NOT A MISC. ITEM, IT IS A VALID PIECE OF GAMING HARDWARE!

i've been to at least 6 gamestop/funcolands in my state and not one has had a MISC section with various extinct system stuff :(

Originally posted by ExCyber@Nov 23, 2003 @ 12:30 PM

What's the deal with Saturn and Dreamcast basically being erased from Gamestop/Funcoland anyhow? Sure they didn't "win", but It's not like they're Virtual Boy.

It's all about "winning" these days. If you're not the latest hot shit, you're nothing at all. How fast did everyone dump the DC when they heard it was done? I'm not surprised at all. It just sucks how the stock never rotates in the few stores in my area that do have anything. Makes it hard to find anything worth buying.

Today at work:

Girl comes upto me, to return a game:

Me: What's the problem.

Girl: "This game won't work on my PS2"

I looked at the game, she had bought a Sims addon that was for PC, thinking it would work with the PS2 version of The Sims.

One thing I've noticed after going to the 40 or so EB stores in my area (within 40km is my area). The stores that are inside malls have THE WORST selection of everything that's older than a couple months. The stores that are located in strip malls or better yet away from residential areas have the best selection. Hell I found a Game Gear game genie IN BOX with everything for $5 in one of them. Not to mention the stacks of Intellivision and 2600 games all IN BOXES.

Personally I've NEVER seen a Saturn game in an EB store, 2 SegaCD games (which I bought), and lots and lots of SNES and Genesis sports games.

Originally posted by gameboy900@Nov 23, 2003 @ 06:45 PM

One thing I've noticed after going to the 40 or so EB stores in my area (within 40km is my area). The stores that are inside malls have THE WORST selection of everything that's older than a couple months. The stores that are located in strip malls or better yet away from residential areas have the best selection. Hell I found a Game Gear game genie IN BOX with everything for $5 in one of them. Not to mention the stacks of Intellivision and 2600 games all IN BOXES.

Personally I've NEVER seen a Saturn game in an EB store, 2 SegaCD games (which I bought), and lots and lots of SNES and Genesis sports games.

Wow, really? Its the opposite here. The EBs in the malls have the best stuff around here. I have bought a few saturn games, a few sega cd games, and they had a few atari games too. But no EB around here has a good selection of genesis, nes, or snes games. And out of what they do have, its outrageously priced. Gamestop is the place for the 16bit days. Well here anyways.

Originally posted by gameboy900@Nov 23, 2003 @ 04:45 PM

One thing I've noticed after going to the 40 or so EB stores in my area (within 40km is my area). The stores that are inside malls have THE WORST selection of everything that's older than a couple months.

That's why I stopped going to Funco/Gamestop/EB hoping to find good stuff.

I go "game-hunting" (as I like to call it) at the 2nd hand/thrift stores, where I ususally find the best stuff. Hell, I found an Activator, CDX, that CD64, and a bunch of stuff in great condition and price too all at 2nd hand places. Garage/yard sales are worth looking at too.

I only go to EB/Gamestop for new releases.

Damn, I hate Gamestop.com them boyz dont know screw bout games nephew talkin bout getting me to buy the whole damn store and being all friendly to me like the some kind of female lookin for a bone, told that pimply boy to back back and give me 50feet...then da boy gone look at me sidewayz and ask me why am I still buying games for the Cast when I should be buying up Xbox...boy, i tell ya, he should of just mind he's biz before he came up handlin' mine. But EB real cool though, they never tried to do me dirty, everytime I return a game they gladly take it back wit my money in hand, of course, i got to sign and write up all this bullshit form papers but I dont pay it no mind cuz money is on it right now, feel me.

Actually I just had a pretty good experience at Gamestop yesterday. Talked to some other customers about cool SNES games (they certainly weren't looking at my face while looking in my direction, though... so irritating).

Also talked a bit with the dudes behind the counter, one of them was actually an old Dreamcast fan! It was cool. The other dude was somewhat of a PS2 apologist, coming up with various PS2 games that "Look like Xbox games" - Silent Hill 3 and Primal were the only two examples he gave that do actually look far beyond PS2, though obviously they aren't (cause you know they do RUN on that hardware).

And when I brought Star Ocean 2 PS1, Grandia II DC, Tony Hawk 2 DC, three VMU's, and a DC Jolt Pack (all used) to the counter, the PS2 apologist dude looked at the stuff, and said 'Just got a Dreamcast or something?' I grinned and nodded. He said 'Cool.' No disparaging remarks or anything. =)

However, I was disappointed by EB yesterday...

When I told the dude that I'd just procured a DC, he just stared at me and said, "You -just- got a 4 year old console that died two years ago? Why?" But it's ok, I didn't have to buy anything there anyway - they just shipped all their remaining DC stuff up to the new store in a neighbouring (2 hours' drive away) city. >_>

Originally posted by racketboy@Dec 4, 2003 @ 04:32 PM

"OLD Dreamcast fan"? :huh:

Old i.e. one of the people who got the system on 9/9/99.

'Old', 'New', it's all relative anyway... or do you mean to suggest that because DC was released a MERE four years ago, everyone who owns one should be considered a NEW fan?

I think maybe he meant that he's just a fan, old or new. Well i don't know, that's what I think.

well I was just hoping your weren't saying "old" because it's not current.

otherwise us Genny fans would be ancient :)

Originally posted by lethal_illuminati@Dec 4, 2003 @ 04:48 AM

Damn, I hate Gamestop.com them boyz dont know screw bout games nephew talkin bout getting me to buy the whole damn store and being all friendly to me like the some kind of female lookin for a bone, told that pimply boy to back back and give me 50feet...then da boy gone look at me sidewayz and ask me why am I still buying games for the Cast when I should be buying up Xbox...boy, i tell ya, he should of just mind he's biz before he came up handlin' mine. But EB real cool though, they never tried to do me dirty, everytime I return a game they gladly take it back wit my money in hand, of course, i got to sign and write up all this bullshit form papers but I dont pay it no mind cuz money is on it right now, feel me.

Dude you might be able to talk that way in spoken language but cmon it's annoying to try and read that ghetto talk.

Gallstaff:

Let the man type the way he wants!

What the hell you mean by "Ghetto Talk"? I don't follow this whole "Ghetto" bullshit that people at school say and such.

Back