the official gamestop/eb horror stories thread

muffinman943

Ban Hammered
im making this because its what all of the other message boards are doing, so we need to do this too to fit in or something :huh neway, post ur stories after mine :) once i went into eb, and this guy literally holds my hand and leads me over to the ps2 machine and is like " heres the medal of honor game" , i told him never to touch me again and that he sucked.

reserved a PS2, months in advance....was number 50 on the list.... came there on release day and they conviently skipped over me and gave my PS2 to someone else :( (good thing i went to k-mart first and picked one up, then went to funcoland next ;) )

Manager was behind the counter. He had a stack of about 40 to 50 Saturn games on the counter, including a couple that I wanted. When I tried to buy them, he refused to sell them. He said that they'd decided to send them back to their distribution warehouse or something like that because they'd been there so long and nobody was buying them. HELLO! I'M TELLING YOU I WANT TO BUY THOSE TWO RIGHT THERE AND YOU DON'T WANT TO SELL THEM TO ME???

Originally posted by muffinman943@Nov 15, 2003 @ 08:29 PM

im making this because its what all of the other message boards are doing, so we need to do this too to fit in or something :huh neway, post ur stories after mine :) once i went into eb, and this guy literally holds my hand and leads me over to the ps2 machine and is like " heres the medal of honor game" , i told him never to touch me again and that he sucked.

Hahaha :lol:

Well, theres no eb or Gamestop here.

BUT:

Currys; They had new Keyboards, VMUs and Steering Wheels cheap. I had no money. I went In a week later with money to buy up the whole remaining stock. THEY BINNED IT ALL!

GameStation; This week, I go in with £30 to buy some games. I ask what happened to the Sega Retro stock. They said the area manager wanted it sent away.

ARGH!

This isn't a horror story but it's kinda funny:

In the gamestop here there was an ngage display and I'm like WTF I'll try it. So I go over and some guy behind the counter goes "Yeah the ngage is the most powerful cell phone on the market right now and it's also the most powerful handheld gaming machine" to me and just as he's finishgin up saying it another guy *who still works there* walks in and goes

"Dude we've sold less than 10 of those, shut the hell up, he's not buying one. Are you?"

To which i replied "hell no"

"good man"

Oh, yeah... Another funny one... This was probably in March or so this year.

The clerk was trying to sell Phantasy Star Online for GameCube to a guy. He's telling the guy about how version 1 and 2 were hits for Sega Dreamcast in Japan, but only version 1 was ever released over here (in the USA). I couldn't believe what I was hearing, so I went over and pulled a copy of version 2 from what little DC stock they had left and slid it in front of both him and the customer and said, "Phantasy Star Online version 2, US release, servers still up and running." The clerk shut up pretty quick, and I went back to digging through bags of used accessories (the only reason I still go there after the manager pissed me off with the above mentioned Saturn games is that I can usualy find odd cables and 3rd party controllers pretty cheap). The guy he was trying to sell it to comes over to me a few minutes later and asks if it was worth buying (for GC). I told him I'd only played the DC version, but yeah, it was worth it.

wow they've never done that to me, they have always been friendly (well in one of the 3 gamestops anyway, they others just basically ignore you if you don't ask), and eb can be a bit busy at times to help. but they've never tried to sell me something like that.

I always goto funcoland (gamestop) about a week after a game I want comes out, They always ask if I reserved it, and I always say no. They then proceed to tell me that all their copies are for pre-orders only. I then proceed to walk 100 feet to target and buy the game. Rinse. Repeat.

Heh... I posted this same story before, but I'll post it again.

Last year (Monday, October 14, 2002) I went into GameStop, and purchased NFL 2K1 (DC), NFL GameDay 99 (PSX), and Doom 64 (N64). I had nothing but Nickels, Quarters, and Dimes with me. I pick 'em up, take 'em to the counter, and I give Brandon my money. While he's counting them all up, I see a sign saying "Only 11 Days until GTA: Vice City", Im like "Tch... GTA is crap!" Brandon has this aghast look on his face. I kinda start bashing $ony a little bit, and saying how godlike the Saturn :bow is. Brandon says "Hey Justin, get a load of this kid," Justin comes over, and he tells him what I was saying, and I start going all Sega now. I'm going on and on about the Saturn :bow , and I say "The reason why the Saturn is so great, is all of Sega's arcade titles on it," He says "No, what made the Sturn so great was Panzer Dragoon Saga," I'm just standing there in awe. "You own PDS? Is it complete?" "Yeah, and Shining Force III. I also got Fighters Megamix, with an FMM T-Shirt," I'm just in awe. I start talking about the Dreamcast as well. Justin says "The Dreamcast was awesome, mainly for it's 2D capabilities," I said something about Mega CD, and he kinda bashed it, although he did praise Snatcher. Brandon said something and Justin said "He is what you call a hardcore gamer," I just grinned at that.

Last couple times I saw Justin (he doesn't work there anymore :( ) I was talking about Saturn some more with him. He said the main reason why he owns a Saturn, is for the rare and top-quality games. PDS, SFIII, Guardan Heroes, etc. I said how I got Guardian Heroes and Radiant Silvergun, only in CD-R format. I was kinda disapointed (since they're CD-Rs), but I said how I plan on getting the originals one day though. He said "Well, at least you get to play 'em,". I remember asking him if he were to sell PDS and SFIII. I asked him how much would he charge if he sold them together (as these are COMPLETE copies), he said "Probably around $150," I was like " :eek:mg: $75 EACH!? That's a STEAL!"

I miss Justin...... :(

I remember one time I went in there, and I exchanged a game and bought a couple others. I'm going on and on and on about how Sega is god, and how much I hate $ony. I really got under Cody's and the other clerk's skin. I really annoyed the hell out of 'em. Cody was somewhat reluctant to sell me the games. Heh....

Computer Exchange over here pissed me off when the Leeds branch decided that the Saturn stuff was being set to London for their 'dedicated retro section'. Which would've been fine (if a tad annoying), were it not for the fact that they were still chock full of SNES, Megadrive and PSX games which are either from the same era or older.. This lady at a local market did a similar thing when she said Dreamcast games were too old to stock, when she still sells 16-bit stuff. Weird.

Gamestation here is the worst though, I once looked at their job application forms where it basically says, 'you don't have to know anything about games to work here so long as you make us money'. This is proved by their blatant agenda of pushing the most expensive console onto anyone who comes in seeking an honest opinion on which console to get.. Amazing how the most expensive one is always 'the most powerful' and 'has the best graphics and games'. To further prove they know fuck all, they wholeheartedly recommended Dino Crisis 3 to someone the other day.. I rest my case.

well there aint no Gamestop or EB here in Holland (tho I liked 'em when I was in the 'States), but I had a pretty hair-raising experience in my local gamestore. The owner kept insisting that Panzer Dragoon Saga never got a PAL release, he was very adamant about it. As soon as I get my copy I'll race thither and smack him in the face with my copy :devil

(well, of course I'll be careful)

the other day i was in funcoland and the only thing annoying about it is the stupid fucktards that go in there. these two guys would NOT shut up about random games that they would see. like, one would walk over to the gba accessories and go "look, i could get a magnifier for my game boy advance sp" and the other one goes "why would you want to do that when you could just buy the game boy player for your nintendo gamecube?" and the first one says something like "you know, you are exactly right. i think i will buy the game boy player for my nintendo gamecube for only $49.99"

i hate those guys.

the funcoland here is pretty cool, though. they give me all sorts of promo stuff and demos when they're not supposed to. i work in the "r zone" (the video games/electronics section of toys r us) so i get a lot of that stuff for free too. i've got an enormous metroid prime display in my room right now :)

I was at the local Gamestop the other day browsing around when I heard the two guys who work there getting all excited. I walk over to see what is going on and there was a kid trading in his Saturn. They ask the kid what he wants for it and says he is not sure because it was his brothers and he doesn't really know what it is worth. They offer him $20 and he gladly accepts and walks away. I say to myself, wow $20, not bad for a trade in. Then I ask what model is it, they have no idea what I am talking about. They say it must be pretty old because it still has the Genesis cartridge slot on it. I say the Saturn doesn't play Genesis games, and a model one usually has oval buttons and a model two usually has round buttons. What does it have? They say round buttons, I say, Oh, a newer model. They say no, must be older because it HAS the Genesis cartridge slot. I say, wow maybe you are right, I am wrong, by the way how much will you sell it for I might be interested in it. They say, not sure maybe $100 because it is an older one and HAS the Genesis cartridge slot. I smile and walk away laughing. Nuff' said. :)

Heh, not EB related, but I walked into a pawn shop awhile ago, and while browsing the shelves I saw a dusty old Saturn (model 2) lying there. I pulled it out and looked at the price tag - $75. No cables, no controllers. So I got one of the guys who works there and said 'how much do you want for this thing?'.. he glances at the price tag and says '$75'. I said.. 'you know, this might go for $25 on ebay if the seller got lucky'.. so he goes and asks his boss, this cranky old guy. The old guys says 'let him have it for $40'. So the other guy comes back and tells me $40. I said 'look.. how long has this thing been sitting here?' .. the guy says 'oh, about three years...' so I explain that it doesn't have any of the parts that it came with, and that it'll probably never sell (and certainly not at $75). I offer him $25. He looks at me in an extremely pissed-off manner and says 'sorry, this thing is worth at least 40 bucks'... so I give up and leave. Arg, what a waste.

Back