the official gamestop/eb horror stories thread

Originally posted by it290@Nov 20, 2003 @ 05:51 PM

I offer him $25. He looks at me in an extremely pissed-off manner and says 'sorry, this thing is worth at least 40 bucks'... so I give up and leave. Arg, what a waste.

In that scenario, I'm guessing it'll be sitting there for at least another 3 years.

Well, I've been working at Gamestop/Funcoland for about three and a half years now, so I have some good ones to share.

Funcoland days:

1. Second day of work ... I come in and Mike is pouring cleaner fluid [light alcohol solution] on his shoe. I'm all like "wtf are you doing" and he says "I'm going to prove to Stew [our assistant manager] that I'm immune to all pain." So he takes out his lighter and lights his leg on fire. In the store. He almost immediately starts to scream in pain and starts to drag his foot along the ground to put out the fire. The result is a HUGE burn mark in the rug, still there to this day. It was awesome.

2. Pre-Christmas 2000 ... our keyholder at the time, Dan, and our ass. manager Stew take turns answering the phone in their "gay voices." Which was actually pretty funny at the time. So it's Dan's turn, and he answers the phone in his "gay voice." The man on the phone can tell he's being dumb, so he asks what his [Dan's] name is. He says "I'm Gary." Stereotypical "gay guy" name, I guess. So the man on the phone goes "Well, this is Gary M. Can I talk to whoever is in charge?" Gary M. was the District Manager at the time. Nice work, Dan.

3. Pre-Christmas 2000 ... we used to have cleaner wars. Well, actually, just the other dudes that worked there. I just played video games all the time. Anyway, if any of you used to work/shop at Funcoland you remember the cleaner kits we used to sell. Well, Stew and Greg [the manager], and Darryll [the other associate besides me] would throw the boxes at eachother. One night, my mom comes by to pick me up from work, and see this HUGE mound of hundreds of these kits laying on the ground, and she goes "Emily why aren't you helping clean this up?" And I was like "whatever, I didn't throw any of these, I shouldn't have to clean them up."

4. Pre-Christmas 2000 ... Stew is throwing around a screw driver, trying to get it to stick in the wall. He used to do this a lot, actually. So anyways, his throw goes a bit to the left and goes straight through one of the huge windows at the front of the store. Luckily for him the DM [District Manager] believed that a kid's bike on the outside of the store did the damage, and he didn't get in trouble for it.

5. Beginning of 2001 ... We get a new DM, Scotty Niles. At the front of our store there used to be arcade units and above them there was a little bit of an alcove that went from the front of the slatwall to the back part of the real wall. [Sorry, kind of hard to explain] Anyway, Stew and Greg and Darryll used to through old PSX cd cases up there and bust them, etc., when they were thrown. Scotty comes in one day and decides he wants to use that space to display system boxes. I go up there on a ladder to check out the area and there is at least three inches deep of pure broken plastic sitting up there. So I grab a trash bag, wrap it around my arms, and proceed to use the full lenghth of my arms to shove it all of to the far right side. The pile of broken glass on the ground was an amazing sight to see.

Okay, my brain hurts. More tomorrow.

Originally posted by for your lungs only@Nov 20, 2003 @ 11:46 PM

and she goes "Emily why aren't you helping clean this up?" And I was like "whatever, I didn't throw any of these, I shouldn't have to clean them up."

You're a girl? Cool. ^_^

Damn it Ex you beat me to it. I was gonna post that. Now if I could just find the scans from the actual EB training manual that suggested doing those things.

i have the training manual downstairs somewhere

edit:

it really does say shit like that, your supposed to shmooze the customer into being ur best buddy so u can make him buy shit he doesnt need

No one around here does that. Closest I ever came was when some guy came up to me and said "Are you here for Max Payne?" I was all.. wtf.. cuz I didn't know what it was. So I just said "no" and walked away. The End.

ps, I now know what Max Payne is. I still don't care.

I never did the training but i still have the book (our store was manager-less for months so noone could oversee it), you had to have a district manager for the training come down and watch you shmooze ppl into buying crap basically tho

Well, there is this super hot chick that works at an EB close buy, but she is fucking dumb as a brick. I stood at the register for like 10 minuts saying "I want to buy this game". She talked to me, i guess didn't notice the $20 and game in my hand and just went about her buisness. Then this guy came and picked up a magazine and she said, "would you like to buy that?". The guy said, "i think this guys been waiting long before me." And she was like... oh, ok. So she helped me. I had a 10% off card and clearly tried to hand it to her and mentioned i wanted to use it. She took it and swiped it, saying "you cant use it, there is no money on here." I said no, for the 10% off. Then she over charged me by $15.00. I was like what! check that again lady! And she said... oh. So she wrang it up, and forgot to use the card again, so she said... oh. And then used the card. I was there forever trying to buy that stupid game! They only hired her cause she was extremely hot!

Oh yeah, one more storry. Don't worry this one is shorter. I found these saturn games for $1.00 each. Then when i went to buy them, they were all like, You do know this is for the saturn right? Do you know what that is? Its not playstation? And i was like uh, yeah. And then they just laughed at me as i purchased my games. Ignorant bastards!

Originally posted by Tagrineth+Nov 21, 2003 @ 10:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tagrineth @ Nov 21, 2003 @ 10:51 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-for your lungs only@Nov 20, 2003 @ 11:46 PM

and she goes "Emily why aren't you helping clean this up?" And I was like "whatever, I didn't throw any of these, I shouldn't have to clean them up."

You're a girl? Cool. ^_^ [/b][/quote]

Sho' thang.

HOLY CRAP that reminded me of more awesome stories! dang. Okay. I see that my stories aren't really horror stories, but they are pretty amusing nonetheless ... at least for me. X)

6. Early 2001 ... my manager, Greg, who was 21 at the time [and obsessed with Dave Matthews Band .. but that's another story] developes this HUGE crush on some 16 year old girl he met sometime. So he hires this girl's best friend, Otavia, to work at the store so that he could get in good with the 16 year old chick. Ugh. So any, Otavia is, like, the worst employee ever. All she did was sit around and play Unison on PS2. And her boyfriend(s) would come in to see her and stuff while she worked, which was alright sometimes ... but she had so many. Greg and the other people that worked at the store called her a slut SO many times to her face and she was always like "OMG I totally am! I'm such a slut I love boys." etc. She eventually quit to work as a lifeguard at some YMCA or something. Thank GOD.

7. Greg Shultz. My first "manager" was OBSESSED with Dave Matthews Band. When we were slow, he'd go into the word processor on the POS [Point of Sale ... the Gamestop/Funcoland Operating system for the register ..... we affectionately call it the Piece of Shit, because it really is] and type out every single song that DMB ever recorded, in chronological order by album. His three-letter ID in the POS was also DMB. How appropriate.

8. Darryll Flynn, everyone's favorite dude. He sucked at getting numbers and stuff but he talked up games like no tomorrow, so customers loved him. He is/was really short and the assistant manager, Stew, used to stash him away behind one section of our old arcade units where there was a space between the units/slat wall and the actual wall of the store. He'd sit back there for hours ... and whenever a customer would walk by he would do the underground theme from the original Super Mario Bros. game for NES. It was hilarious.

9. More Darryll ...... we had a store meeting one night, and we wanted to play a joke on Stew. So what we came up with was to take a TV out of one of the arcade unit spaces and stick Darryll in that little space. So we did. Stew came in, and eventually Darryll started talking to him, but he couldn't see Darryll anywhere. So for about ten minutes we played a game of "hot/cold" until he found him.

Okay, that's it for now. More later when I can remember more.

A lot of places call their OS POS, and of all those places, atleast some of the employee's refer to it as piece of shit. Radioshack's is called POS, as is hollywood video's. In fact hollywood video's is a piece of shit. The server for each store runs unix with no root password, then each pc that you actually use is a dos box with no protection on it at all. Anyone who knows anything about pc's could bring a hollywood video store down for days with 5 minutes of unsupervised time in there lol. What makes it even more fun is that it locks up, crashes, and the printers stop working all the time, so you have to do a reset of ALL the dos boxes to get it back up and running. (Employee's aren't supposed to touch the unix box sitting in the cabinet with a keyboard and monitor sitting down there too, I suspect hollywood video doesn't want anyone to know that. In fact, it's possible to dial into atleast the dos box, if not the unix box as well from outside the store, and control them with pc anywhere lol.

Ok here's one, I was just in EB the other day.

I was in there and this guy comes up to me cause I wanted to buy sonic R (hey it was 2 bucks) and the guy goes.

This is weak, why don't you get a real racing game for a real console, like grand turismo 3. and I go

Dude i'd rather have a crappy racing game from an amazing console than a mediocre racing game for a shittier console.

then he starts to list out all the reasons the ps is better and I go

Yeah but does it have nights? Now sell me my game, bitch

Radioshack's is called POS

And it's halfway decent as long as nobody's printing PDF files on the backroom computer. I guess that sort of problem goes hand-in-hand with emulating obsolete POS terminals though.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Nov 23, 2003 @ 03:47 AM

Ok here's one, I was just in EB the other day.

I was in there and this guy comes up to me cause I wanted to buy sonic R (hey it was 2 bucks) and the guy goes.

This is weak, why don't you get a real racing game for a real console, like grand turismo 3. and I go

Dude i'd rather have a crappy racing game from an amazing console than a mediocre racing game for a shittier console.

then he starts to list out all the reasons the ps is better and I go

Yeah but does it have nights? Now sell me my game, bitch

wow a store that sells Saturn games???

my Funco just stopped selling DC games even!

but they mega stocked up on NES, SNES and (crapy) Genesis games.

I'm not going there anymore unless I need a cheap GBA game right away

they were under the used misc. bin. It's where people trade in their random electronic crap and THEY deicde how much it goes for.

Back