Saddam Caught!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the President of Liberia did the same, and we just watched. Why? There's no money for America in Liberia!

They needed liberation, but they just couldn't afford it. Americans cannot hide behind the human rights issue. You just want to kill him because Bush does, and Bush does just because his father does... sheep.

How many of you actually care about similar human rights issues in Africa or Asia? Too bad they don't have a lot of oil and riches.

I just couldn't let this go...

Originally posted by BJammzz@Dec 15, 2003 @ 08:06 AM

bah, stop feelin so sorry for the guy. Why do u can so much about a guy who has killed our soldiers,

Many Iraqi soldiers died during the invasion trying to keep the US soldiers out.

and tried to kill our pres.

The US tried some tactical strikes early during the war to take out Saddam. They later killed his two sons.

He also has killed thousands and thousands of his own ppl.

How many civillians have died now as a consequence of the US led invasion?

But none of that matters I'm sure.

Originally posted by mal@Dec 15, 2003 @ 01:04 AM

How many civillians have died now as a consequence of the US led invasion?

But none of that matters I'm sure.

How many would have died if he were left in power, free to kill anyone who even voiced an opinion against him.

I do agree with you jeff that more needs to be done on other human rights issues in other parts of the world, but that doesnt make Saddam any less of an evil person.

And I agree with you axelblazeadam, Saddam may have gone on to kill more of his own people, but that doesnt make George W Bush any less of an evil person.

This thread is difficult to reply to since I agree with parts of what different people are saying, and disagree with other parts.

Whatever the issues surrounding it are, it can only be a good thing that Saddam has been caught and is going to be held accountable for his actions. I only hope that one day the coalition leaders are held accountable for theirs, though sadly this will never happen. In fact I'm sure they'll profit from it, both in a monetary sense and in a PR sense.

I don't think anybody has ever said Saddam was an all round good guy. I am personally glad that he has finally been found and that it (so far) hasn't been the complete cockup that everything else about this conflict has been.

It is not the black and white image that the US administration continually portrays. There are no "good guys" and no "bad guys". You can't lay the death of every innocent Iraqi at the feet of Saddam. As bad as he may have been, he was also a uniting force in the country. Under Saddam, terrorism (of the blow-youself-up variety) was never a problem. Now, it's going to take a monumental effort to keep organised terroist organisations out of the country. I don't believe the current administration has a chance in hell of pulling their shit together.

I really hate phrases like "the world is a safer place without Saddam". The world is equally as unsafe without Saddam as with. I'm glad that some Iraqi people *may* now have a chance to know a bit of peace.

I agree...it effects the iraqi people more than us by a LONG shot.....but by having peace over there, it will help us over here.......all I want is gas to be liek 1.20 for premium :).

he left his nations citizens with virtually no money and stole it all for himself, he beat women with flaming metal rods, and u feel sorry for him?? wtf?

AFAICT (not being an expert by any stretch of the imagination), Saddam became nothing more than a figurehead once Baghdad was occupied. As has been suggested before, capturing Saddam is a political victory. It nominally turns the Iraq war into a success, even though it's not clear that capturing Saddam will materially affect actual conditions on the ground. Even if his foot soldiers draw their inspiration from him being their commander, it's up to them to believe that he is still directing them. If these guys hang out mostly with each other rather than the general Iraqi population, it's entirely plausible that there'll be an "echo chamber" effect in which they all convince each other that Saddam's capture is merely American propaganda, they got a double and are lying about the DNA tests, etc. IMHO, we need to be wary of a similar effect here at home, with the message being that Saddam's capture is tantamount to victory. We don't really win until we can leave without the country falling apart.

Originally posted by muffinman943@Dec 15, 2003 @ 01:04 PM

he left his nations citizens with virtually no money and stole it all for himself, he beat women with flaming metal rods, and u feel sorry for him?? wtf?

I don't really feel sorry for him, but this media exercise is having precisely it's desired effect. <_<

I just feel sorry for the people left living in Iraq (Bagdad in particular) who have to live in a totally shattered country because the US couldn't invade without destroying non millitary infrastructure and without killing unarmed civillians.

Given where he was found, I'd say that speaks volumes about his involvement in coordinating post-invasion attacks...

by saying helping us over here....I am meaning more on a gov. level. It really doesn't effect us much over here besides gas......that's all that is has effected us thusfar

Helps you?!? :eek:

Do you really want to keep that tool in power any longer than he needs to be?

So, apparently on Turkey Day Bush pre-screened those people he ate with, and those who didn't get a part of it were left out to eat MREs. He didn't want dissenters around him.

Saddam had to be removed, but I think it would've been best if Bush did it without trying to make a excuses about it. WMDs? Human rights? We know why the gov't got involved.

It's good to know that the Iraqi people may see a modicum of peace (mainly the Kurds - perhaps they'll finally get their own country) but lets quit pretending that's why the US went out there. There are a number of countries that have committed atrocities, but the US hasn't invaded them. In fact, some of them were those who supported the Iraqi invasion.

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Dec 14, 2003 @ 08:38 PM

So, apparently on Turkey Day Bush pre-screened those people he ate with, and those who didn't get a part of it were left out to eat MREs. He didn't want dissenters around him.

I was wondering why everyone was so happy and cheerfull in that photo shoot.

I expected at least one person to throw a gut punch, being so close to him, or at least flipped him off.

it is when all anyone in this entire thread has done is whine about how bush is an evil dictator and puts him on the same level as saddam, clearly bush goes around massacring people all the time and setting himself up as supreme ruler of all

edit:

or talked about how saddam is really a nice guy and we should all be his best friend cuz he never did anything bad ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back