Overclocking an AMD Athlon XP Barton 2600+

Four in japanese is 四 (yon). That means death too?

It's also read "shi" in compounds, IIRC. And yes, that does mean death, among other things. It seems like a pretty silly thing to worry about considering that it's one of the basic syllables of the language, but consider for example how many people pronounce DVD-R as "DVD minus R" now that DVD+R is popular -- little things like this can apparently be exploited to shape public opinion in subtle ways.

I can't imagine not being able to use the number four. They need to get over that. China is the same way, since Japan uses their number system; 4 is taboo in both China and Japan.

Originally posted by mal@Jul 23, 2004 @ 03:57 AM

How much is not too much?

I've got a 2500 that doesn't seem to want to play nicely with a 200 FSB and I'm thinking of upping the vcore but I'm not sure how far to go with it.

it "could" be your ram holding you back.

It shouldn't be. It is PC3200 RAM.

On my main PC it was just as simple as changing the FSB in the BIOS, but with my HTPC (same mobo and processor) it just didn't like it.

I think overclocking mileage varies from chip to chip. I ran my 2500+ at 200*10 for a while on the stock Vcore and it was perfectly stable. I bumped the multiplier up to 10.5 and it was crash city. I could have notched the Vcore up one more level (1.7? 1.75? I forget what the next step was), but since I run my processor at full load 100% of the time and it was already at 55C, I didn't think the extra heat was worth the minor speed increase.

Newer variations of the Barton chips (non-mobile versions, that is) are multiplier locked too.

Originally posted by Dyne@Jul 24, 2004 @ 01:38 AM

a cpu will simply not post and/or underclock before any permanent overclocking damage is actually done.

It depends a lot on the CPU and motherboard, buddy. We're not talking about P4s. Socket A Athlon XPs don't underclock themselves, and if your temperature isn't excessively high, it won't power off. It will be unstable, or worse, depending again on the CPU and board. Remember the "Athlon XP gets smoked" video? Yeah, the motherboard has to have the logic to handle the info the CPU sends it, and again that is temperature data. It is possible to set the voltage too high but have the chip cooled so well that it doesn't know to shut it off. Essentially, it isn't easy to do these days, but don't go giving people ideas. :D

Pearl Jammzz: As Curtis said, not all CPUs are equal, even if they have the same performance rating. You CPU probably could have been a 3000+ or 3200+ from the factory, but maybe they had high demand for 2500+ chips - so that's what it was set to be. Further, Curtis was pointing out many Athlon XPs are now being locked. I'd like to clarify that they are now being locked in such a manner that no motherboard and no connecting pin methods can unlock them (including speedstrips). So not everyone can move the multiplier to reach a 200Mhz FSB. You didn't need to mess with multiplier or voltage or anything in your case. You have a good chip, all you had to do was use the right memory, motherboard, and bump the FSB up. It isn't always so for all 2500+ chips...

I ordered a tube of Arctic Silver 5. It didn't arrive yet, but I'm going to ask this, because I have a feeling it may be a problem: What's the best way to remove the gunk that came with the Zalman HSF? It seemed like it would be hard to remove when I was putting it on.

Originally posted by mountaindud@Jul 25, 2004 @ 08:06 PM

I ordered a tube of Arctic Silver 5. It didn't arrive yet, but I'm going to ask this, because I have a feeling it may be a problem: What's the best way to remove the gunk that came with the Zalman HSF? It seemed like it would be hard to remove when I was putting it on.

Depends how resilient the material is. If by "gunk" you mean cheapo white thermal paste, I wouldn't forsee any problems. Just some rubbing alcohol and as lint-free a cloth as possible (stay the heck away from paper towels for starters). If it has thermal tape on it, you'd probably have to scrape it off first and then clean up whatever remains.

Edit: I'd also like to mention that you won't even see the full benefits of the Arctic Silver 5 for a few days or so of use. It's got to get hot for a while, cool, and repeat several times. I don't really know all the specifics, but just use it as normal and it will actually improve in performance by a little bit. Oh, and remember: keep it thin. Thick layer = bad. Hinders performance.

Originally posted by mal@Jul 24, 2004 @ 04:46 AM

It shouldn't be. It is PC3200 RAM.

On my main PC it was just as simple as changing the FSB in the BIOS, but with my HTPC (same mobo and processor) it just didn't like it.

well id say up your memory voltage as far as it will go (usually 2.8). it "may" help.

Originally posted by Dyne@Jul 26, 2004 @ 08:58 PM

well id say up your memory voltage as far as it will go (usually 2.8). it "may" help.

It may also just leave you with an unstable box. I would say don't bother unless you really need the speed. You'd probably also want ramsinks if you're going to push it that hard (not that they help a ton), and you'd probably still need to raise (slow) the memory timings - or put your memory to "slow" or "normal" or something, if your board has those kinds of blanket settings so you don't have to manually mess with everything.

I just applied the AS5 and right out of the gates, the temp dropped from 43 to 31 celsius. :thumbs-up:

Artic Silver is good, but not that good. A drop like that probably indicates a not-so-good job the last time paste was applied.

Originally posted by Curtis@Jul 29, 2004 @ 07:26 PM

Artic Silver is good, but not that good. A drop like that probably indicates a not-so-good job the last time paste was applied.

:lol: That is quite possible. It idles at 35C right now, and I haven't overclocked anything yet.

It's overclocked to 2.31Ghz now (200x11.5), but I'm a little concerned about the VCore which is at 1.850; the maximum, it wouldn't even start windows until I did that though. It idles nicely at 38C, I'll see what prime95 says in the morning.

EDIT: Screw it, this stupid thing keeps crashing. I put it back on normal settings.

Your chip can't make it. You're pushing it too hard, 1.85 just to get Windows to boot?? If you have a board that properly locks AGP/PCI, you can just set it to something like 180. Otherwise, you'll have to hope your chip isn't perma-locked, and that you can unlock the multiplier - if you even care.

Oh, before you overclock it again, you might want to flash your BIOS using the procedures Asus supplies on their site. Unless you're already using a recent BIOS. I don't advocate flashing often (unless you have a board with a secondary BIOS), but you don't want an outdated BIOS. They fix a lot of problems as time goes on. Make sure your memory is set to run sync with your FSB, too.

Back