Overclocking an AMD Athlon XP Barton 2600+

Dud

Established Member
I want to get my FSB up to 400. I want to know what I change those multiplier dealies in the BIOS to for this to happen. Also is it necesary to get a new CPU fan-heatsink? Here's what I'm running:

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe nForce 2 Motherboard

AMD Athlon XP 'Barton' 2600+ (1.9 Ghz, 333Mhz FSB)

Mushkin 512MB PC3200 DDR-RAM

Yes a new heatsink would be required oto get it running stable. Either a SLK900U or a Zalman 7000A-Cu or 7000A-AlCu would be ideal.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Jan 24, 2004 @ 09:28 PM

What about the thermaltake volcano 11?

The Zalman fans get better reviews, and I've been recommended Zalman fans before.

Does anyone know if the more expensive all-copper fan cools better than the Aluminum-Copper mix?

Yes they are but you arent pushing your processor THAT far. Unless it's only a question of a few bucks more than sure, why the hell not

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Jan 24, 2004 @ 10:39 PM

Yes they are but you arent pushing your processor THAT far. Unless it's only a question of a few bucks more than sure, why the hell not

I think it's like 12 bucks more so I'll get the cheaper one.

ugh, Tt. THeir volcano's are pieces of crap. On my sk7 with an 80mm panaflo (two steps below the slk900) I get better temps and half the volume of my mom's cpu which has a volcano 11 in it.

Originally posted by Gallstaff+Jan 25, 2004 @ 12:01 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gallstaff @ Jan 25, 2004 @ 12:01 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> Aw come on man just shell out the extra 12. All copper really is helpuful in the longrun [/b]

meh, alright.

<!--QuoteBegin-Scared0o0Rabbit
@Jan 25, 2004 @ 12:47 AM

ugh, Tt. THeir volcano's are pieces of crap. On my sk7 with an 80mm panaflo (two steps below the slk900) I get better temps and half the volume of my mom's cpu which has a volcano 11 in it. [/quote]

I wouldn't expect a product that's called Volcano to cool a CPU very well. That wasn't a very good name choice if you ask me (I know nobody is). There was one other product that someone suggested for overclocking called sapphire. Does anyone know what that is; a heatsink/fan or a oc program?

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Jan 25, 2004 @ 03:47 AM

I know sapphire is a type of video card... but other than that no. I'm not into the whole overclocking thing.

Yeah, that's all I could think of, I have no idea what he was talking about.

What about the actual process of overclocking?

You do that in the BIOS. You don't usually need any special tools, although some extreme overclocks may require you to cut some tracks on your motherboard and/or CPU.

General practice is to overclock in small increments until the machine becomes unstable and then back it off by a bit. This way you ensure you get the maximum clock. Don't forget to raise the vcore voltage by a little as you go. Also, you can potentially kill your CPU and motherboard if you don't do it right. Checkout some overclocking websites/articles before you start.

Originally posted by Curtis@Jan 25, 2004 @ 05:11 AM

You do that in the BIOS. You don't usually need any special tools, although some extreme overclocks may require you to cut some tracks on your motherboard and/or CPU.

General practice is to overclock in small increments until the machine becomes unstable and then back it off by a bit. This way you ensure you get the maximum clock. Don't forget to raise the vcore voltage by a little as you go. Also, you can potentially kill your CPU and motherboard if you don't do it right. Checkout some overclocking websites/articles before you start.

OK

Will the A7N8X Deluxe take one of those Zalman Coolers? I do not see the mounting holes next to the processor slot.

Mine does...same motherboard. Any idea what revision number the boards is (ie 1.05, 2.0)?

The thing you have to watch out for with the Zalman is also the clearance from the powersupply. If you have 2-3CM between the top of the MB and the PSU, you should be fine.

Hm My processors been running a bit hot latley at stock speeds. 119 degrees F. Are there any other processor hsf combos or seperate heatsinks and fans you could reccomend?

I do have two holes on each side of the processor, but they don't look like they are threaded, are they? So then those two holes on each side get clips screwed into them and then the fan gets fastened onto the clips?

the holes around the cpu for attaching a heatsink to are never threaded AFAIK. Usually you use like a bolt and a nut on each hole, atleast from what I've seen.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Jan 25, 2004 @ 08:12 PM

the holes around the cpu for attaching a heatsink to are never threaded AFAIK. Usually you use like a bolt and a nut on each hole, atleast from what I've seen.

I see, so you're saying I'm going to have to take off the motherboard to get those bolts underneath?

Back