Xbox question

hey dibz so thats all u really need..is a good dashboard....and i all i do is install it right? then hook the cords from xbox to pc...then i upload games right? where do i upload games from?

Originally posted by BJammzz@Nov 26, 2003 @ 05:41 PM

hmmmm, so do you think that the N64 emu inside those discs could be ported to say, XBox or PC? Cuz ya, it's a hella good specially on the Zelda games(the only ones I have seen it run).

No, it can't be done realistically.

Nintendo used pretty low-level code, and GCN doesn't even have an x86 processor - the entire emu would have to be rewritten from the ground up, which very effectively defeats the purpose.

hey rabbit..so first i need a modchip...does modchip comes with dashboard? thats with mega memory right wha u need ? and whats the next step? do i need to install a evolution x? hmm little bit confuse here dunno wha im doing..

I've made a playstation 2 emulator for the xbox...

it's running on a really cool modified xbox I made inside a ps2 casing. pretty cool, huh?

You do NOT need a modchip to do this, if you have an Action Replay and 007: Agent Under Fire or MechAssault you can do the gamesave exploit to change your dashboard. I bought the AR and rented the game.

Holey shit you're dumb dude.

He's being sarcastic saying that running a ps2 game on an xbox in ps2 casing is just him playing ps2 games ON a ps2.

And thailees, about your "bio" question. I dunno, you tell me. There are BIOS though. BIOS is (it's not plural the "s" is just part of the name) what your console uses as kinda internal workings. I'm not sure of the specifics but the BIOS is kinda the heart of the system which allows it to run and lets it communicate with itself. The BIOS is usually stored on a chip (EEPROM) of some sort, although i'm REALLY not the person to ask for this sort of thing.

Run all the emulators you want... you'll still have a fat ass stupid xbox controller in your hands...

if they ever make a universal controller adaptor then I'll check out the emulators....

Run all the emulators you want... you'll still have a fat ass stupid xbox controller in your hands...

Actually, the Xbox pad is not as bad as it seems. It's still damn gaudy though with all the fakey "crystal" styling and the ridiculously huge logo. And there is an adaptor out there that takes PSX/Saturn/Dreamcast controllers...

if they ever make a universal controller adaptor then I'll check out the emulators....

A BIOS (stands for Basic Input/Output System) is the onboard (stored on ROM on the main board rather than on disk) program of a computer that controls hardware initialization, self-test and loading of other programs when the system is turned on. Sometimes the BIOS is a very simple piece of code that is barely enough to start a bootloader from some other medium, sometimes it's an entire OS or debugging environment. Usually they are somewhere in between. A typical PC BIOS for example contains self-test, a bootloader-starting function, a hardware configuration menu, and a collection of routines for accessing standard PC hardware like disk drives, serial/parallel ports, and text display (these routines are mostly obsolete but are still used by bootloaders for compatibility and size reasons). The Xbox boot ROM contains a multi-stage BIOS that initializes the hardware, performs integrity/security checks, and loads a custom Windows 2000-based kernel (from ROM, not the hard drive), after that it pretty much has no function as the kernel takes over. Hacked Xbox BIOSes mostly contain a hacked kernel (sometimes they are based on a more full-featured debug version of the kernel rather than the retail one), mostly checking of signatures on .XBE (Xbox Executable) files is disabled and the hard drive initialization is patched to allow normal "unlocked" drives ("locking" is a rarely used feature of the ATA/IDE standard that Microsoft employed to make casual hacking of the Xbox harder). There are some other minor differences, but those are the most important ones.

but then u can't run unsigned code right?

Yes, you can. The AUF/MechAssault "soft mod" techniques are based on hacked save files that exploit buffer overflows in the games' savegame code to install a hacked font file that exploits a buffer overflow in the dashboard's font loading code to load a hacked kernel that exploits, well, the fact that it's the kernel and therefore answers to nobody. :)

also, this means no xbox live...ever right?

Not exactly. Once you load a hacked kernel there shouldn't be anything stopping you from using a kernel loader program to reload an original kernel. The details of the anti-mod protections for Live seem to be something of a moving target, but the main thing it checks for is the presence of a hacked kernel.

do NOT use the exploits.. modchips are cheap and easy to install, the exploits fuck up regulary and then you WILL need to buy a modchip and do some extra work to fix the xbox too.

the S-type is actually one of my fave controllers (just basically an upgraded DC controller). But ya, u can use sat controllers and stuff so it's really nice.

Also, there is online play with most of the emulators :)......haven't tried it out but I will one of these days.

Originally posted by BJammzz@Nov 28, 2003 @ 07:31 PM

the S-type is actually one of my fave controllers (just basically an upgraded DC controller). But ya, u can use sat controllers and stuff so it's really nice.

Mmm. Xbox Controller-S: Update "The Brick" with a black shell, and keep its main faults. Sounds like fun.

same button layout as the DC correct? shoulder button placed the same way right? so the DC pad sucks?

I think the most comfortable controller is the GCN one......worst one is the ps2 controller, horrable....always has been even before dual shock(that just made it worse....horrable sticks)

Originally posted by BJammzz@Nov 28, 2003 @ 09:27 PM

same button layout as the DC correct? shoulder button placed the same way right? so the DC pad sucks?

I think the most comfortable controller is the GCN one......worst one is the ps2 controller, horrable....always has been even before dual shock(that just made it worse....horrable sticks)

I've never liked the DC's pad... from a pure design standpoint, it's very usable, but there are some irritating flaws that ruin it for me.

There's a third-party pad for PS1 that works GREAT for me - MadCatz's latest model... fixes nearly all of my problems with the pad design. Otherwise I pretty much agree with you... the only upside to PS1's pad design is having four shoulder buttons.

ya, those are a plus......but not rlly a must have ya know? very few ps games I have played that actually benefited a lot from them.

Personally...for fighters and beat em' ups and such I like the 6-button layout. but for most other things the dc/xbox layout is nice

anyways.....back to xbox.......

the xbox pad (original pad) is awesome for FPS and racing games.. the precision of the L and R triggers is unmatched by any other controller.

it's big, but once you get used to it, it's actually good.. the buttons aren't great for quick games like fighting games, tho.. but the GC controller is even worse for those, and you can use PS2 pad adapters.

I don't like the S-controller cause it's too small for my taste, and the white/black button position ruins a bunch of games.. it's simply impossible to reach them in time. newer games have their layout adjusted accordingly, tho.

the xbox pad (original pad) is awesome for FPS and racing games.. the precision of the L and R triggers is unmatched by any other controller.

No way. The precision of GCN's triggers is far better, plus there's the added bonus of the 'click' for extra actions (like closing the S-foils in Rogue Squadron). =)

it's big, but once you get used to it, it's actually good.. the buttons aren't great for quick games like fighting games, tho.. but the GC controller is even worse for those, and you can use PS2 pad adapters.

The problem with the Xbox's original controller is that the sticks barely feel like they move at all before maxing out. No precision at all. GCN's sticks are by far the best I've ever used.

PS2 pad adapters are available for all consoles going all the way back to the friggin' NES. It's disturbing.

And true, the GCN pad is a bit awkward for fighting games, but that's why the Hori Digital pad exists. :D

Back