What Internet browser do you use?

Hmm...been using IE ever since version 2. Never liked Netscape with it's god awful table draw speed (among other stupid things like reloading from the server animated GIFS that had loops in them). I have Mozilla installed too but that's mostly just to check that the pages I design come out looking right in it as well.

I use Firbird and netscape most often..

Sometimes i use IE just because if something is not working on a particular webpage, chances are it will work / look right under IE.

MyIE2.

Based on IE, it can do a lot more things, uses plug-ins, etc ...

Since I discovered this one, I can't use anything else :)

Originally posted by Zheræ+Jan 30, 2004 @ 09:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zheræ @ Jan 30, 2004 @ 09:53 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by racketboy@Jan 30, 2004 @ 07:46 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Zheræ
@Jan 30, 2004 @ 05:20 PM

I got bored with Firebird so I decided to try other browsers, so far I tried mozilla didn´t like the splash screen

I don't have a splash screen on Mozilla.

You sure there isn't an option to turn it on and off?

I´ve tryied looking in the prefences and I didn´t see any option to disable it, with netscape I had to had a command in the shortcut something like -d (I really don´t remember which letter was but I think it was it) in mozilla I have no idea where that option is. Anyway I got back to Firebird I couldn´t get away from these cool extentions . :p[/b][/quote]

add -nosplash to the end of the command line

C:\blah\blam\mozilla.exe -nosplash

Yeah I tried Firefox today too when they start complicating things is not a good sign at least they fixed the saving of images, in Firebird it used to lag for a few seconds, lets see if FFox has any other usefull features.

I also tried Avant Browser its cool but tab only is not a good thing, it fixes the lack of features in IE but in the end they had way too much stuff needs some tweaking.

What I'd like to see fixed from firebird, that I haven't tested yet is that half the time when you click on a torrent or a .msi it tries to open it as a webpage instead of bringing up a save dialog.

The Mozilla POV on that problem is that the web server's MIME type reporting is misconfigured. Typically the server claims to be sending data of MIME type text/plain when it should be identifying the stream as application/x-bittorrent (or application/x-ms-installer or whatever it is for .msi files). This happens with a number of file types and is a result of mixing server admins and webmasters who don't care about MIME with browser developers who do care about it.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Feb 10, 2004 @ 01:03 AM

What I'd like to see fixed from firebird, that I haven't tested yet is that half the time when you click on a torrent or a .msi it tries to open it as a webpage instead of bringing up a save dialog.

That's why I just right click the link and "save target as"

And yet IE seems to handle it all just fine.

That's because IE's developers looked at "If and only if the media type is not given by a Content-Type field, the recipient MAY attempt to guess the media type via inspection of its content and/or the name extension(s) of the URI used to identify the resource" and saw "the recipient MAY ignore the Content-Type field altogether because everyone screws it up anyway" instead. Mozilla could be doing the same thing; it's not doing it because the HTTP spec lays out very clearly how content negotiation is to be handled: in short, the server always wins. If IE actually followed the standard, web admins might actually bother setting up correct MIME types, but for now programs that do follow the standard are said to be "broken".

i just use IE for browsing because I dont like that I have to install extra software just so you can move the mouse in Netscape/Mozilla.

i just use IE for browsing because I dont like that I have to install extra software just so you can move the mouse in Netscape/Mozilla.

How's that work? I've never heard of such a thing...

It tries to open wmv files as webpages for me :-\

That's because the server is telling Mozilla "this file is a webpage" (or, more likely, "this file is a text file"), and browsers are required by the HTTP specification to trust the content type reported by the server. IE solves this problem by ignoring the spec and deciding for itself. This breaks some methods of delivering files, but web developers/admins just put up with it because the alternative is not supporting IE.

ExCyber the one thing you gotta remember is that the great majority of people who have webpages do not have enough access to their webservers to alter the MIME settings. Most people wouldn't care either. I find that using the file extension as a guide to what the file is is a more natural and easier to use way of doing it. At the very least if the file extension isn't that of a known web type it should download the file instead of trying to open it. And just imagine being a webadmin for a number of sites and needing to add new mime types for all the possible file types out there. You'd go nuts trying to cover all the bases. Mime types were great originally way back when. Back then you only had a few types to worry about, text, gif and jpg and that's it. Now since alot of different file types are available trying to keep a good mime list would be hell.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Feb 10, 2004 @ 10:41 PM

How's that work? I've never heard of such a thing...

You wanna look at graphics? Plugin.

You wanna open the browser? Plugin.

You wanna see flash? Plugin.

You wanna hear audio? Plugin.

You wanna download something? Plugin.

You wanna uninstall the damn thing and use another browser? Plugin.

Granted, the Flash Plugin is required for IE, but it just downloads it. It asks you if you wanna download it, and its done. If you use Netscape/Mozilla, you have to download the file, and install it.

Manual install is teh ****.

Back