Revolution Details!

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
Some info is starting to come out about Nintendo's next gen system, the Revolution, ever since the xbox 360 full details were released.

#It will be as thick as 3 DVD cases and as long!
#You can use it in both vertical and horizontal positioning.
#The system will be wireless enabled.
#It will be able to play DVD's.
#Backwards compatibility with Gamecube discs will be a feature.
#Four 2.5HGZ G5 Custom cores, with 128KB of level 1 cache and a 512KB shared level 2 cache.
#Dual core ATI RN520 chipset with 16MB of on-board eDRAM for the frame buffer.
#Supports 720p and 1080i.
#512MB system memory.
#32MB the memory the PPU physics processor.
#DSP

Thanks to Spong for the news.

I hope Nintendo get their marketing team into gear and start preparing some influential propaganda. I think the general concensus is that MS is going to launch first - over the xmas holiday period as well! - so it would be in their best interest to drop a few "hint/ reminder" adverts around the time MS starts promoting their launch. Then when Nintendo is ready to release their Revolution, a massive advertising campaign warms the red carpet.

And the specs for both MS and Nintendo's consoles look very good indeed! That's some powerful hardware. B)

wireless enabled... wireless lan/internet?

backwards compatibility will be a feature.....add-on? emulated w/ enhancements?

foure 2.5hgz g5 custom cores.....that mean a quad-processor system? hot hot hot I say! lol

dual video chips as well? lol

DSP?

oh ya, and got to love the 720p and 1080i :p. I love my HDTV :).

I'm sorry if I offend some of the fans of Nintendo, because I am one myself, but I HATE the fact that Nintendo went Microsoft's route, in copying Sony on the vertical/horizontal standing...

My rant has ended, thats all...

Yep, wireless lan/internet.

As to backwards compatibility you just plunk in your GC disk and it should work.

Pretty sweet eh?

P.S. The Revolution will be able to stand up backwards, forwards, upside down, and even inside out ;

Just for you Dark Samurai

I hear it has an option to spin in air as well, you just need the special stand and it will flip every-which way! They call it the samurai model....lol

The PS3 details and pictures have also been released... they're saying it'll launch in spring of '06...

The details of the revolution look very promising. They've been dropping info along the lines of free wireless internet access out of the box... w/o the need of a pre-existing connection :).. at least, that's what I gather.

But a nice little tidbit of info that goes well with these specs is that the big N isn't really concerned about outpowering the other next-gen systems, they just wanna provide a very fun and innovative way for people to play games. It seems as though they'll be catering not only to hardcore gamers but casual and non-gamers as well. They're still trying to drag in more people with a bigger net :)
I like this approach and I'm eager to see how it turns out.

And of course they're hopping on the HD-TV bandwagon, which is cool... even though i can't even think about affording an HD-TV at the moment.

The Big N seems to have something here, I'm counting down the days to the not-yet-disclosed launch date :) (might be tomorrow *crosses fingers*)

EDIT: DSP = Digital Sound Processing

EDIT2: Just saw that Nintendo is saying that it'll be release sometime in 2006.... so yeah, i retract my statement about it possibly being released tomorrow :(

Back