Nintendo Revolution

Cloud121

Established Member
Heh..

Clearly my most wanted of the three new consoles. :D

Specs so far, taken from NX:

It will be as thick as 3 DVD cases and as long!

You can use it in both vertical and horizontal positioning.

The system will be wireless enabled.

It will be able to play DVD's.

Backwards compatibility with Gamecube discs will be a feature.

Four 2.5HGZ G5 Custom cores, with 128KB of level 1 cache and a 512KB shared level 2 cache.

Dual core ATI RN520 chipset with 16MB of on-board eDRAM for the frame buffer.

Supports 720p and 1080i.

512MB system memory.

32MB the memory the PPU physics processor.

DSP

Nintendo needs to release some decent info on this thing. No one wants to steal your stupid ideas Nintendo, just show us something!

here is what I posted at NX...seems to not get a response.

wireless enabled... wireless lan/internet?

backwards compatibility will be a feature.....add-on? emulated w/ enhancements?

foure 2.5hgz g5 custom cores.....that mean a quad-processor system? hot hot hot I say! lol

dual video chips as well? lol

DSP?

oh ya, and got to love the 720p and 1080i :p. I love my HDTV smile.gif.

and yes, nintendo needs to pull their heads out of their asses and gloat gloat gloat! brag to your hearts content! make people want it! don't just think "hey I am nintendo, they will buy me!"

Physics processor? Interesting.

Overall, though, it seems like IBM is going to be making a LOT of money with this next wave of consoles.

Some more info:

May 17, 2005 - New details regarding Nintendo's next-generation console, codenamed Revolution, have started to sprinkle onto the Internet. The machine, which will be revealed during Nintendo's pre-E3 2005 show on Tuesday morning in Los Angeles, will sport a slick, black design and a front blue light.

Revolution will be "two-to-three times more powerful than GameCube," according to Nintendo, which also acknowledges that the next-generation race isn't solely about new technologies. By contrast, Microsoft's Xbox 360 console is 13-15 times more powerful than the first, according to the publisher. And Sony says it's PlayStation 3 is roughly 35 times more powerful than PlayStation 2.

Nintendo also revealed that using Revolution's new Wi-Fi connection, gamers would be able to go online to a free gamer-matching service. Interestingly, in a move similar to Microsoft's Xbox Live Arcade service, Revolution users will be able to download classic and new Nintendo games over the Internet. Nintendo cited such examples as Donkey Kong and Super Mario Sunshine, which suggests that Revolutionaries could have access to games for all the publisher's previous consoles.

Ladies and Gentlemaen, I present to you, quite possibly the coolest looking console ever. Not too flashy (Sony), and not a TiVo (M$), this one is just right. :)

Attachments

• e3_2005_revolution_revealed_20050517010646774.jpg
    e3_2005_revolution_revealed_20050517010646774.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 144
    5.5 KB · Views: 134
    5.5 KB · Views: 135
    5.5 KB · Views: 134
From Cube Europe:

Along with the image, new details on the console were also revealed. As previously hinted, the unit will feature a front self-loading disc slot that will accept standard-sized DVDs as well as the smaller GameCube discs. Also verified, the Revolution will offer playback of DVD movies.

In terms of the raw power of the system, Nintendo purportedly made the modest estimate of the Revolution being approximately 2-3 times the performance of the GameCube. This is in contrast to the (possibly exaggerated) XBOX 360 (10-13 times the performance of the original XBOX) and the just unveiled PS3 (supposedly 35 times the performance of the PS2). Nintendo's Perrin Kaplan pointed out that "It's not all about having 'turbo power', it's about what you do with it."

The USA Today article also included the comments of one analyst, Richard Doherty of The Envisioneering Group, who listed one of the Revolution's chief advantages as a platform being that it will truly be considerably easier and cheaper for developers to work with compared to the competition. In Doherty's own words, this is because "They do not need to make major changes from the games they were designing, [as such] they have better performance without having to do a lot of extra work."

A bit more was also revealed regarding the Wi-Fi capability of the Revolution, specifically the shape its service will take when the unit is released. Gamers will apparently have access to a free online matching service, and furthermore the service will enable the download of Nintendo classics from previous systems, such as the original Donkey Kong, as well as new Nintendo games.

With more details just around the corner at Nintendo's Pre-E3 Press Conference, Kaplan was firm in stating "We've built Revolution around the concept of 'all-access gaming,' [regarding the unit's ease of adoption by both gamers and developers] ...We're about sticking to the soul of gaming."

Stay tuned...much, much more is to come.

My prediction? It'll do a Dreamcast. Nice console, zero market support - especially outside of Japan. People are too hyped up about m0ar p0war!!!11ONE11~! to care about an elegant solution right now.

DVD? Meh. WiFi? Meh. Cheap to develop for? Developers might care for non-blockbuster title, but that smacks of "kiddie games" to me...

I'll have to wait to see how it compares graphically to the competition.....sony especially has been known ot just pull random numbers out of their asses, lol. I am likin the online aspect though, we'll see how they support it. I want wireless controllers damnit!!!!

Yeah, you definitely can't trust Sony when it comes to numbers. The specs on these next-gen systems are gettin' ridiculous anyway. We don't know how well any of them will perform, nor do we have much information on any of the main CPUs or GPUs (benchmark-wise).

The wi-fi thing better not be Nintendo's 'revolutionary' feature, though... if it is, I'm gonna be pissed.

it have ethernet ports? not cool if we can't hook it up through cable and I have to go buy a wireless router...well, my modem has wireless so I should be good I think, but still, they need atleast 1 ethernet port.

Here are some pictures that are easier to see:

revo_screen001.jpg

revo_screen002.jpg

revo_screen003.jpg

That's the blandest console I've ever seen, the Phillips CDi looks more exciting than this.

I'll hold my opinion until more concrete info is out. From what I have seen of X-Box 360, it does not look like an improvement. I see were Sony is coming from calling it XBox 1.5. No huge graphical leap. Sony's claim of 35x faster is BS. Wasn't the PS2 suppose to be 100x faster than the PS one? Sorry to say, but it isn't that extreme of a difference.

Bland? it's cool looking for sure IMO. I'm pretty damn excited about it all!

Pssh, do a Dreamcast? Highly doubt that, Sega were in trouble at that time anyway, while Ninty seem to be doing pretty damn well for themselves atm. It'll be good...even if I have to buy a million of 'em just to make sure.

Hey if you go in guns blazing accouncing everything wheres the surprise? The atticipation you get into your fans? Nothing. It's a technique that I would probably use if it was me.

revo_screen003.jpg

What? No handle this time? How are we supposed to carry the console this time? :lol:

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Mon, 2005-05-16 @ 11:22 PM

foure 2.5hgz g5 custom cores.....that mean a quad-processor system? hot hot hot I say! lol

dual video chips as well? lol
[post=134146]Quoted post[/post]​

I believe it's four 2.5GHz custom G5 cores on one chip (i.e., a multi-core chip just like the Xbox 360 and PS3). Similarly, two cores in one chip for the GPU. Given the compact size of the Nintendo Revolution, I doubt it can handle four individual G5 chips running at 2.5GHz PLUS two individual GPUs. :lol:

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@Wed, 2005-05-18 @ 07:05 PM

Given the compact size of the Nintendo Revolution, I doubt it can handle four individual G5 chips running at 2.5GHz PLUS two individual GPUs. :lol:

[post=134255]Quoted post[/post]​

Would be nice though ;)

I like the fact its going to let you download games from old Nintendo systems, I never owned any nintendo console before the gamecube (except handhelds).

Arg, looks like we won't be getting any more info on the Revolution for a while. I was hoping Nintendo was going to surprise us. Anyway, just a hunch, but I don't believe this whole 'paranoia' excuse. I think they're running behind on the development of the machine.

Back