Gens Emulator

mtxblau

Mid Boss
So I installed the Gens RPM, packaged by whoever, for SuSE 9.X (I'm using 9.1).

It runs fine, even though it's complaining about libslang.so.1 or some such not being there.

Anyways, I'm curious - how does one play Sega CD games? Incidentally, I had this issue under 9.0 but never bothered to figure it out.

The boot cd option is grayed out. I can mount the games fine, of course. 9.1 has submount, which is even better - but still no change.

Any ideas?

do you have the sega cd bios? if yes and you're running xp sometimes the emulator wont recognize you have a cd drive until you force aspi.

I have all the BIOSes (Japan, USA, and Euro), but this isn't XP - this is Linux...

Gens 2.12 if that means anything.

From the README:

6) What does it emulate ?

-------------------------

It emulates Genesis, Sega CD (iso/mp3, not real CD) and 32X roms.

* !!! NOTE : Sega CD MP3 play back is broken. We are fixing it. !!! *

I assume you can just load up the ISO file.

:rtfm

Well, the manual (last I checked) didn't say anything about booting the CD under Linux. I read that part, but I have an actual, real Sega CD game (close to mint, even) I want to play.

You'll probably have to rip it then. But as the mp3 playback looks to be borked, you won't get any music. Not sure if any of the other emulators will do SCD or not, you might have to do it under Windows or get a Sega CD.

I'm going to experiment with Wine and see what results I get. Probably not good, if any at all.

I do have an SCD (which is why i have these games in the first place) but there's already a Rise of the Dragon saved game on there, as well as Shining Force CD, and I don't want to overwrite them. I could get a memory cart, but those damned things are ridiculously rare, and besides, I'm certain I can get Gens to work somehow. Somehow...

I don't know if the issue has been fixed since I don't have any real sega cds....but use the latest cvs version rather than a rpm which is probably quite outdated.Look for the gens sourceforge site and then go to the cvs link.Follow the instructions from there.You'll need gtk 2.4 for the latest cvs and the development packages if you are not compiling gtk from source.

Back