Doom 3 ships today

Originally posted by Curtis@Aug 9, 2004 @ 09:49 AM

Yeah...beat Sarge. I thought he was a little easy since all you had to do was shoot the 9000 rounds from the sky. I'm at "Caverns 2" at the moment.

I defeated the Sarge without the 9000 ... I somewhat didn't found this gun before :p

There are already Mods up on fileplanet. Some are integrated into the game itself. Some created a flashlight mod for the guns. I'm waiting.

Originally posted by it290+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(it290)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just want to say that I really, really hope they make another Aliens vs. Predator game using this engine.[/b]
Hell yes!

Originally posted by it290@

btw with the spiders/trites just pop 'em a couple of times with the pistol -- two shots is all it takes and I find it works better than trying to take out a swarm with the machine gun or the shotty.
I'm crazy, so when I find a big group of spiders, as long as they aren't in my face, I like throwing grenades. I threw like 10 of them in this one area, while sprinting around exposed to the Martian atmosphere. There were spiders exploding into goo all over.

<!--QuoteBegin-Curtis

When it arrives we still get no reflected or ambient light at all - shadows are horrible and totally pitch black. We've been seeing effects like this for over a year in games like Splinter Cell. To add to that, the lighting or lack thereof makes no difference to the gameplay - the monster are always aware of you, lighting be damned. The only thing that Carmack brings to the table is quality bumb-mapping at high speeds and I suspect that the CryEngine could do a pretty good version of Doom.[/quote]I agree that lighting needed work, and at least SOME enemies shouldn't have been quite as aware of you in total darkness. However, the areas that are totally black are there for a reason. They didn't want you to cheat too much, the flashlight is vital, and they want you to be caught in the dark. I damn well know if there weren't pitch black areas that most people would just jack up the gamma. They should have made it so the flashlight was a little better and let you use it with the pistol at the least (although there are mods that do similar things). I personally would have used the duct tape to tape it to my helmet, if you're seen the "duct taped flashlight to machine gun" mod.

DoomGuy isn't wearing a helmet. And hey, at least the flashlight doesn't run out of batteries (although that would have been even more enjoyable, perhaps).

I really don't like DOOM3, at all... it's so boring. It's like a first-person Resident Evil with a little more firepower to me... and I hate Resident Evil. :S

Originally posted by it290@Sep 1, 2004 @ 12:21 AM

DoomGuy isn't wearing a helmet. And hey, at least the flashlight doesn't run out of batteries (although that would have been even more enjoyable, perhaps).

In my mind's eye the only DoomGuy is the one on the box for the original. He has a helmet, damnit, and so would I if I was prancing around on Mars. Heck, I'd tape TWO unlimited energy flashlights to my helmet, for when the place gets extra dark.

Wait a minute, Tag posted, and its very recent! Are people coming back for short periods of time again? HURRAY!

The one on the box? But what about the actual DoomGuy in the Doom 1 and 2 (not the one on the title screen)? You see his face the whole time you're playing! Of course, that camera could be inside his helmet, I suppose.. when you play multiplayer (in any of the Dooms), all the players are wearing helmets, but I always figured that was just so it wouldn't seem like everyone had the same character.

In Doom 3, it certainly would make sense for the main character to wear a helmet (I mean, there are several sections where you go outside and your 'oxygen tank' starts draining.. although at the speed it drains it almost seems like your guy is holding his breath), but he is never actually shown with one.

Back