Another I'm building a computer topic

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Nov 2, 2003 @ 06:41 AM

I wish my floppy drive worked :(

Why do those things fry every 3 years or so?

No floppy for me :D

The things are evil. At least Apple had the balls years ago to try to get rid of them

My wife uses a 64Mb USB Flash drive for her floppy stand-in.

Originally posted by dibz@Nov 3, 2003 @ 10:37 PM

My wife uses a 64Mb USB Flash drive for her floppy stand-in.

yes flash drives are a beautiful thing.

I'm waiting for 512MB ones to get a bit cheaper.

my 32MB one is being well used by my wife.

Until I get a new one, I'm using my 4GB USB hard drive.

The true greatness of the floppy comes from it's ability to just work... in virtually any situation, including situations where the cd-rom drive doesn't have drivers (like when you have to do an emergency boot into dos or something). I'd really like to see something come out that's like a floppy, but with speeds and disk sizes comparable to current cd burners. Then I think I could be happy. (it'd be helpful if they could be written to directly like floppies, and whatnot too).

You mean a true, driverless, industry-wide standardized floppy replacement? Yeah, I'd love that. No more of this zip crap. The LS-120 and 240 weren't a bad idea but they didn't get the traction they needed, and it would help if the whole industry pitched it. Get rip of floppy connector on mainboards and add another IDE channel (be it serial or parallel), or an entirely new replacement connector for a next-gen floppy drive replacement.

The closest thing I've seen (in functionality) is one of those internal multi-format card readers. That way no matter what flash media you are using or lets say a guest is using, you could transfer data to/from your PC.

Yeah floppys are ok, but I'd rather see them bring back the 5.25" Floppys :cheers Those things kicked ass.

I got everything running with Windows 98 after trying six different windows disks, all devices are set up--except the integrated audio :damn: All the driver files are fine (I can get actual names if that helps):

the nForce driver

mm-something.vxd

vmm32.vxd/ntkern.vxd (which I had to pull out of a .cab file manually from the Win98 disk, because stupid windows couldn't find it).

I tried the update driver button after I got all the right files in but that doesn't do anything. Anyone who has an A7N8X Deluxe M-B with Windows 98, what do I have to do to get the everythings fine message?

Umm...go to nVidia's site and download the nForce2 drivers for Win98. Those should work just fine.

Originally posted by mountaindud@Nov 9, 2003 @ 12:00 AM

Yeah floppys are ok, but I'd rather see them bring back the 5.25" Floppys :cheers Those things kicked ass.

I got everything running with Windows 98 after trying six different windows disks, all devices are set up--except the integrated audio :damn: All the driver files are fine (I can get actual names if that helps):

the nForce driver

mm-something.vxd

vmm32.vxd/ntkern.vxd (which I had to pull out of a .cab file manually from the Win98 disk, because stupid windows couldn't find it).

I tried the update driver button after I got all the right files in but that doesn't do anything. Anyone who has an A7N8X Deluxe M-B with Windows 98, what do I have to do to get the everythings fine message?

Wait you mean those big ass black things that LITERALLY a floppy disk?

I love those so very very much.

Originally posted by gameboy900+Nov 9, 2003 @ 01:47 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gameboy900 @ Nov 9, 2003 @ 01:47 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Umm...go to nVidia's site and download the nForce2 drivers for Win98. Those should work just fine.[/b]

I tried that already, but I didn't have the right device loaders on my computer at the time (I think). I'll try it again, that would be pretty stupid if that's all I have to do.

<!--QuoteBegin-Gallstaff
@Nov 9, 2003 @ 03:01 AM

Wait you mean those big ass black things that LITERALLY a floppy disk?

I love those so very very much.
[/quote]

Yeah didn't they hold like 600kb? There'd still probably be some use for them. :unsure:

Well the drivers are in a big exe installer. You just run it, it extracts the files and starts the setup automatically. Does its thing and you reboot.

Yeah good old floppy floppy disks.

screw 5.25" disks, we need to go back to those 8" monsters they had. Anyone else ever seen one, they're like a huge 5.25 disk.

Heh, I have a few of those hanging around. I got a bunch of them when we were doing spring cleaning at my old job- they used to keep the books on those things, believe it or not. Actually, when I worked there (1998-2001), they still used a crapload of WYSE VT100 terminals hooked up to an ancient PC running SCO to do all the work orders and stuff.. the software for that was written in freaking BASIC as well. Which was funny because I ended up gaining root on the system and putting a bunch of 'stealth' modifications in there just to screw with people.

Originally posted by it290@Nov 9, 2003 @ 05:18 PM

Which was funny because I ended up gaining root on the system and putting a bunch of 'stealth' modifications in there just to screw with people.

Is that why it's your "old" job? ;)

Originally posted by gameboy900@Nov 9, 2003 @ 05:57 PM

Well the drivers are in a big exe installer. You just run it, it extracts the files and starts the setup automatically. Does its thing and you reboot.

That doesn't work. This thing will not work.

Can anyone recommend a cheap but good sound card? It will only be used with a headset, I didn't want to waste money on speakers.

I still don't know why you had to resort to using Win98. That's pretty messed up... it'd be nice if you could get XP running on that. Are you sure the onboard is enabled in the BIOS? It seems like a waste to not be able to use the Soundstorm :(

many dislike it but the sound blaster live 5.1 is a great budget card that cna get the job done.

Stay away from creative labs/sound blaster. My audigy was a piece of crap, and my creative dvd-rom drive died today... taking powerslave with it... so I gotta go buy another copy now T.T

Soundstorm IS better than most cheaper audio solutions. But he's having strange issues, and I don't know if he even has a legit copy of XP.

Rabbit: Wow, so it died violently? That sucks. What were ya doing with Powerslave in there anyway?

backing it up. I never play my original saturn games... with the intent of keeping them safe... it apparently backfired this time. I hadn't even tested it yet. I know it will boot in my modded saturn still (most of the damage was done around the area with the security ring), so when I get home I'll hook up my v1 saturn and see if it still boots in that. It freaked out right after I finished backing it up, and I did another backup of it after the accident and the size of the bin was the same both times so I assume it still works.... maybe. But I'm fairly sure that it won't boot in an unmodded saturn anymore.

Back