Another I'm building a computer topic

Originally posted by Alexvrb+Oct 27, 2003 @ 07:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexvrb @ Oct 27, 2003 @ 07:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-ExCyber@Oct 27, 2003 @ 02:49 PM

BTW, don't worry too much about whether or not you'll use the extra RAM - the OS will generally soak up the

extra as tasty performance-enhancing file cache. This can lead to a serious boost in app loading speed if you're the type who leaves the computer on for long stretches.

Dude, where's my RAM???

Seriously, that's why I havent down- err, upgraded to WinXP yet. [/b][/quote]

I will read the rules and feel lucky that I haven't been banned.

And I just ordered everything, a few hours ago, a little ahead of schedule.

Gallstaff- I think someone said dual channel mode works automatically if you have two of the same stick, but I could easily be wrong.

NO WAREZ TALK.

Is that clear enough?

It's in the rules and I've told you once myself. Get the fucking hint.

Yes, I have the misfortune of wanting to own a legal copy of Windows. So I won't spend money pretty much unless I have to. I figure when they come out with a public, non-beta x86-64 Windows, I will buy that. Because by then I'll have something that can run it properly.

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Oct 29, 2003 @ 02:28 AM

Yes, I have the misfortune of wanting to own a legal copy of Windows. So I won't spend money pretty much unless I have to. I figure when they come out with a public, non-beta x86-64 Windows, I will buy that. Because by then I'll have something that can run it properly.

The price of Windows is ridiculous. (I hope I can say that <_< ) I'd buy Linux if more games programs supported it.

:lol:

Bitch about windows and it's price all you like. I just don't want to hear about pirating it. :)

Sure its expensive, but I buy new versions so rarely its not a killer issue. I don't need to always have the newest OS. For instance, I used DOS + win 3.11 for ages, and then Win95 OSR2 for ages, and now WinME. Its still supported until 2005.

Wow paying the $80-100 (depending on factors) for an upgrade copy of an OS that comes out every 2-3 years is SOOOO bad for you. Seriously it's not that badly priced considering what you get.

At least it's not like MacOS where every tiny little upgrade is another charge even if it just fixes bugs.

And yes all you need is the upgrade version of Windows and not the full version. It's IDENTICAL. The only difference is during the install you need to prove to the installer you had a pervious version and simply inserting that versions install disc in the drive to let it check is sufficient. (Been doing so myself since I upgrade to Win95 from Win 3.1.

And yes all you need is the upgrade version of Windows and not the full version. It's IDENTICAL. The only difference is during the install you need to prove to the installer you had a pervious version and simply inserting that versions install disc in the drive to let it check is sufficient.

Of course, as long as you're using the new version you no longer have a license to use the old version, so if you use an upgrade disc for the initial install onto a new PC you may as well have warezed it and flushed $90 down the toilet.

I'd only pay $80-100 for a full version. If you're a student it wouldn't even be an OEM version.

I put everything together (yes, correrctly). I can't get any os to work on it.

Windows 95- Won't boot, error message: "media test failed, check cable"

Windows 98SE- Same problem as windows 95

Windows ME- Boots, installation starts, but stops because this is a "Reinstallation Only" disc from Dell

Windows XP Pro- Same problem as Windows 95 and 98 discs

There obviously isn't a problem with any cable. What am I doing wrong?! :wanker

I tried some more stuff. The error message I was getting was from some NVIDIA boot thing, I turned it off.

I installed XP Pro on the harddrive by putting it in another computer and then put it back in the new one, but apparently that won't work. Now I'm stuck with the error message: "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". I guess I'll just have to keep trying different Windows disks until I get one that boots AND can actually be installed. :puke:

Originally posted by mountaindud@Nov 2, 2003 @ 04:52 PM

Now I'm stuck with the error message: "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

You haven't got a non-bootable floppy disc in the drive do you?

(I'm just checking)

I wish my floppy drive worked :(

Why do those things fry every 3 years or so?

I can't help you there. The only machine that I've had a floppy drive fail in was a mac.

Originally posted by mal+Nov 2, 2003 @ 01:17 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mal @ Nov 2, 2003 @ 01:17 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-mountaindud@Nov 2, 2003 @ 04:52 PM

Now I'm stuck with the error message: "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

You haven't got a non-bootable floppy disc in the drive do you?

(I'm just checking) [/b][/quote]

No, all the drives are empty. Except the harddrive.

Wait wait wait... so you took the HD out, put it in another computer, installed Windows on it, and shoved it back in the new computer? Hmm, have you tried using a different 80-pin IDE cable (one you've verified to work)? While you're at it, make sure the drive's jumpers are all set OK... just for the heck of it...

The fact that it spat out an error like "Media test failed...." means its having trouble writing/reading to the media (a storage disc/device), in this case your HDD. If its been properly formatted in NTFS, and the cables and everything are OK, then its quite possible something is wrong with the HD. The best way to find out is to use another HDD that you have verified as working. But try swapping out the cable first.

Gallstaff: I've yet to have a floppy drive die on me. I've got one that is ancient and it works like a charm - although I've seen generic newer floppy drives that are *really* cheaply built and they corrupt floppies and die and crap. I did discover a strange problem with this one floppy drive, where it wouldn't work properly if the front bezel was removed! But the case I had it in had that molded front opening for the floppy drive to go, and if I left the bezel on the floppies were really hard to insert/eject. Major PITA, but I just swapped it for a less screwy drive, for that case.

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Nov 3, 2003 @ 02:08 AM

Wait wait wait... so you took the HD out, put it in another computer, installed Windows on it, and shoved it back in the new computer? Hmm, have you tried using a different 80-pin IDE cable (one you've verified to work)? While you're at it, make sure the drive's jumpers are all set OK... just for the heck of it...

The fact that it spat out an error like "Media test failed...." means its having trouble writing/reading to the media (a storage disc/device), in this case your HDD. If its been properly formatted in NTFS, and the cables and everything are OK, then its quite possible something is wrong with the HD. The best way to find out is to use another HDD that you have verified as working. But try swapping out the cable first...

All cables are good, I even started a Windows ME disk, but it came with a Dell computer we bought a few years ago so it won't work on anyone else's machine. I realized there actually isn't any problem other than finding an OS.

The "media test failed..." error message was caused by some onboard Nvidia LAN port, that I turned off for the time being (that problem is solved).

Back