TMNT 2: Every bad news has it's good news

We all know that shitty TMNT's game based off the new show. Well I just found out that Ninja Turtles 2 is going to have the complete classic arcade game for play in it. Even though the last one was as bad as say...nails on a chalkboard while you get puched in the face and this one wont be that much off. Simply put, BUY IT JUST FOR THAT PRECIOUS ARCADE GAME!!! IT'S 4-PLAYERS TOO FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!

Unfortunately, the game was originally set to include both The

Arcade game and Turtles in Time, but now I've heard that's been scaled back to just TAG. Bummer. I bought the first one and felt ripped off by the fact that they didn't include TAG in that one (they should have), not to mention the fact that it was only two player. I'll probably get this one after it gets cheap, but until then Hyperstone Heist and TiT (heh) on the SNES are just as good (save for the 4 player aspect).

Speaking of 4 player support, I wonder how they'll handle that. I have all the TMNT:TAG roms, and AFAIK none of the 4 player versions let you select your turtle in-game. You just press start on the joystick for the turtle you want. The two-player version lets you pick your turtle, but again, it's only two players. If the game is running emulated, I'll be interested to see how it's dealt with.

All they'd really need to do is find an "in play / not in play" variable or combination of variables (e.g. life == 0 and lives == 0) for each of the players so it can be known which characters are able to join in. After that it should just be a matter of writing a little routine that displays a selector and remaps the controller based on the character selection.

Yeah, I'm definatly going to wait till nobody buys this game too and then it drops to about $17 used just for the arcade game.

All they'd really need to do is find an "in play / not in play" variable or combination of variables (e.g. life == 0 and lives == 0) for each of the players so it can be known which characters are able to join in. After that it should just be a matter of writing a little routine that displays a selector and remaps the controller based on the character selection.

Yes, but can they do that without interrupting the emulation (should be feasible)? And, equally importantly, can they do it while keeping the character selection feature aesthetically in line with the original arcade game?

I was thinking they might be able to hook the character selection from the 2p version into the 4p version, but that would probably depend on whether or not Konami still has the original code for the game.

from the reviews ive read the emulated game is spot on but the sound effects and music are a little lacking (ie the sega smash pack).

Yes, but can they do that without interrupting the emulation

Yes. It could just be hooked into e.g. the video update code.

And, equally importantly, can they do it while keeping the character selection feature aesthetically in line with the original arcade game?

Probably. Even if they have no graphical talent they could just rip graphics and fonts from the game. Maybe they could use the 1up/2up/3up/4up graphics and after selection swap them around in the emulated graphics ROM to match the controller ports...

Hmmm, well, from what I've read, it looks like they didn't do any character selection at all... so you have to use the controller in the slot for the turtle you want to play as. :p

I've REALLY changed my mind about this game after seeing the video review on Gamespot for it. I mean I still think I should try it out on my own before I take their word for it like I normaly do....but they show you everything so you wont make the mistake of playing it heh heh. Plus the Arcade game isn't worth the money. It's not the best one out of lineup of TMNT arcade games.

Back