SNES music done on the Genesis!

This is totally subjective on my part, but it doesn't really sound like a Genesis track. The description says "simulating YM2612 and SN76489 (PSG) specs"; I have no idea what that really means (e.g. whether it's actually emulated or just composed for the same sample rate and number of channels).

TmEE said:
That is what YM2612 in MD can do... there's very minor difference between VOPM ands YM2612.

Here's something I did a while ago, point was to put SNES into shame, lol

http://8bitcollective.com/music/TmEE/Guile+Theme/

Recorded off my sound modded MD2, if anyone wants a BIN (for emulators, flashcarts) just ask for it :)

Wow, that once instrument sounds like its from the SNES version. But to be honest I never liked how the SNES version sounded, I like how the FM synthesis Arcade versions sounded. But also does that take into account having other channels left asside for Sound Effects and voices? That would be the true test to see how Street Fighter 2 could have sounded on Genesis. Think you could do a Genesis version of this that sounds as close as possible?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dByX0MDUzNA

If you could, that would probably prove how similar the YM2151 and the YM2612 are.

I am not going to make a remake, but that song can be done more or less identical to original on MD, maybe except for percussion and other samples since those are full software on MD, no help from HW...

YM2612 and YM2151 are more or less same, 2151 has 2 more channels and more LFO options, 2612 has SSG-EG... on all other aspects, they are compatible, or actually, identical.

In arcade machines, the FM chip always had a 8+ channel PCM chip for samples and stuff, MD does not have that, so arcade machine has an advantege here.

TmEE said:
I am not going to make a remake, but that song can be done more or less identical to original on MD, maybe except for percussion and other samples since those are full software on MD, no help from HW...

YM2612 and YM2151 are more or less same, 2151 has 2 more channels and more LFO options, 2612 has SSG-EG... on all other aspects, they are compatible, or actually, identical.

In arcade machines, the FM chip always had a 8+ channel PCM chip for samples and stuff, MD does not have that, so arcade machine has an advantege here.

Ah ok. I've been actually using some of your stuff to back up my points on the Sega Forums lately. People who say the Genesis has bad sound really annoy me.

I wonder what a reaction of some die-hard SNES fanboy is when he/she hears that Guile song or something else I've made :p

Ristar is one game which shows how nice MD can sound.... realtime generated waveforms FTW

FM synth works well for this type of music, but it can't compete with the APU when it comes to other instruments, for example woodwind instruments and strings and whatnot.

Back