SCD2 CD Mechanism Repair

Hi all - I scored myself a broken mega cd2 the other day (freebie). I am trying to repair it, so I'll describe the symptoms/what I've noticed and maybe you guys can help me out?

It powers up ok, boots to the megacd menu but does not read any discs (neither game nor audio cds). When no cartridge is inserted the cd light flashes on and off constantly. I can't hear the lens moving back and forth like in other cd based consoles and occasionally it makes a nasty noise. The laser I think is working because it can detect whether a disc is present or not.

After opening it up and examining the cd mechanism, I've noticed the main nylon gear that slots into the spoked track (moves the lens back and forth) is worn down and the spoked track is also worn at one end (it has bits of powdered white plastic in it, so I assume the gear has got stuck and ground itself away at this point).

Now, assuming this is the problem - how would I go about repairing it? Are there any similar (PC cdrom/stereo cd) drives that I can cannibalise parts from? Or is there anyone out there with these parts (cog & track, or the entire mechanism perhaps) they could sell me?

Thanks in advance!

Back