Working on sega cd model 1 repair

I have obtained a random model 1 sega cd. I have all the official cables.

I knew there may be some issues when i first received the system.

Initially, the system would boot up. The was NO dancing sega emblems or sound. If i hit reset it would request a disc, but the cd tray had no response.

So i took it apart to see what i could manage. Immediately i noticed the ribbon cable that connects the main board to the cd unit had become disconnected. There was some sort of weighted metal attachment that had come loose. It basically looks like a shield for the ribbon cable, i have no idea what it is used for. I reconnected the ribbon cable and used electrical tape to keep it in position. I read on the forums that there could be fuse issues. I doubt this is a problem since my system boots normally. I checked, and the AC fuse is fine.

My current status: The system will now boot up normally, play the dancing logo's, play a fun lil midi intro song. The cd tray has 0 response. The laser doesnt move, the cd tray doesnt move, the cd motor doesnt move. The whole unit seems dead.

Is there a cd unit fuse?

Does the cd unit get power from somewhere other than the ribbon cable?

Is it possible the whole unit died simultaneously?

Is there a set of capacitors or diodes to check?

open to all suggestions. Just trying to bring life back into this.

My current status: The system will now boot up normally, play the dancing logo's, play a fun lil midi intro song. The cd tray has 0 response. The laser doesnt move, the cd tray doesnt move, the cd motor doesnt move. The whole unit seems dead.

Is there a cd unit fuse?

Does the cd unit get power from somewhere other than the ribbon cable?

Is it possible the whole unit died simultaneously?

Is there a set of capacitors or diodes to check?

open to all suggestions. Just trying to bring life back into this.
I'd check all ribbon cables and other wiring internal to the system to make sure they are fully plugged in/seated properly. If any cables are soldered directly to the board, ensure the wire hasn't broken at the solder pad due to flexing.

If you have a multimeter, probe around the unit with the power on and see if anything is getting to the CD drive itself. Usually these things have one cable for power/ground and another for data so hopefully it will be apparent which one to check. (disclaimer: I haven't repaired a model 1 SCD before) If there are any voltage regulators in the Sega CD, I'd definitely look at how much power is coming in and going out on those.

You may want to take the whole thing apart and look over the PCB for any cracks, bad solder joints, or other damage.

I've read online that the Sega CD Model 1 motors are notorious for dying. I guess you would have to replace it somehow if that's the case. Although I'm not sure if you'd need a special motor or if you can use one from some older CD player.

Good luck! :)

Back