Saturn question

Hello all,

This is my first post here @ SegaXtreme, Greetings to all. I have recently aquired an NTSC Sega Saturn. I know this system is highly overlooked and has alot of rare and xtremely fun games!

I have decided that I would like to mod this saturn, and I would like to avoid the swap-method at all costs. So the better alternative is using a modchip. The only problem I have is that I do not know which model saturn I have. Today i carefully opened it up and I have taken some digital pictures that I have attached. Perhaps some knowledgable Sega fans here can help me to ID my system.

Also, all suggestions are welcome. If someone would'nt mind linking a page for install instructions for the model I am working with, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!

:thumbs-up:

Attachments

• IMG_4927.JPG
    IMG_4927.JPG
    390.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_4928.JPG
    IMG_4928.JPG
    347.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_4929.JPG
    IMG_4929.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4927.JPG
    IMG_4927.JPG
    390.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_4928.JPG
    IMG_4928.JPG
    347.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4929.JPG
    IMG_4929.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 114
What do you count to know that it is a 20 pin?

Also how hard is it to hack the 21 pin to 20 pin. I have very little electronics experience. very novice soldering skills as well. :( .

Is it extremely hard to find a 20 pin modchip?

Thanks for your response!

Originally posted by Terraf10p@Wed, 2006-04-26 @ 12:00 PM

What do you count to know that it is a 20 pin?

You count the number of conductors (AKA pins) in the ribbon cable.

Also how hard is it to hack the 21 pin to 20 pin. I have very little electronics experience. very novice soldering skills as well. :( .

I've never tried it myself, but it looks to be more than a little tricky for someone new to soldering.

Is it extremely hard to find a 20 pin modchip?

Considering the age and relative popularity of the console, it's getting harder to find 21 pin mods which are for newer model Saturns. Mods for older 20 pin Saturns are as rare as hen's teeth.

Hi Terraf10p,

I just finished modding a uk model 1 just like that in your photo. It's quite involved but I managed to 1. stay alive (though 240v to the thumb *does hurt*) 2. wind up with a working fully pimped saturn.

Are you in the UK? If so, whereabouts? {edit: sorry, just clocked the title, it's a *US* saturn - i'll let the question stand though - who knows you might be in the UK ;)}

I'd be happy to help with info and possibly some soldering.

Charlie

Hey good news guys!

Today I picked up 2 USA saturn system's with round buttons ;) . So I am hoping they are both model 2. If this is the case ill just leave the model 1 alone as a stock system. Only problem is: I have power cable for both but A/V for neither :( . I have used an av cord from another saturn to test and verify both systems fully function, need new batteries, but no surprise there.

Can anyone reccomend a good source for A/V cables for saturn? I will most likely order 2 mod chips at the same time, so Id like to get the best deal i can. I plan on opening both systems up for a couple pictures to post later.

Thanks everyone for all your posts.

:thumbs-up:

Back