Removing the Sega logo

I have a GEN arcade set-up (gen inside a cab with a 6 cart demo unit on "rotate mode"). I am trying to make it look as little like the console as possible.

I have the older version of the genesis which doesn't have a liscence screen. I have recently looked at some bootleg carts that have blocked out the sega logo (the splash screen that appears before each game begins). The logo screens are unique and varies with each game, so it must be on the cart as oppossed to the screen which precedes it (on later model consoles).

The mystery is why the bootlegs blockout the logo or otherwise modify it. Are they compelled to display something during the cart intro? If so, is it possible to otherwise modify the graphic? Would they be stored in the same area of memory and easily found (or are they buried in the program)?

Finally, could these screens be removed entirely? Allowing the cart to go directly to the game? I suspect they are buying time as the program sets up the game. However, I cannot resist investigating it; it would greatly improve my arcade cab to have the games begin immediately. :wub:

Has anyone played around with this sort of rom modification?

:)

the sega logo is like any screen on the game

It's tiles drawn on a field

You'll have to trace it.

It's like if you want to...let say remove the select screen of sonic to play directly on start of level 1

the good thing is that in the start of the game so easy to trace

the bad thing is "what if they put some initializing functions on the ShowSegaLogo func?"

btw are you the one who buy the DS16 at 1$ ?!!!

my demo unit cost me about $25. It was well worth it.

The bootleg games seem to replace the logo with garbage suggesting to me that this may be more difficult than I think. Is anything going on during the LOGO screen? Any sort of initialization or preparation? Or is it just a time delay loop for the sake of corporate identity?

Some Tengen games have a logo screen (of course not sega). Some like Snow Bros. jumps to the game immediately.

(sorry for the price of the DS16, I'm looking on one)

As you understood, the sega logo isn't part of the Genesis but made by the programmers following Sega recommandation (5sec, etc...)

What happens while the logo is displaying is unknow ? EVERY game is different!

Perhaps nothing, perhaps the random seed, perhaps the SRAM check, can be anything!

For a large majority of games, i thought nothing happends but perhaps so high-value games put routines on it to avoid bootleg.

Only one thing to do : find and trace the func who draws the logo

I don't know....

I tried to contact him without success....

All of that because the seller didn't want internation bidder like me :(

as silly as it sounds.. bootlegs carts garble or remove the sega logo cause they are afraid sega would sue them for using it.

I have ps2 bootlegs that say "Game Station 2" on the disk and cover for the same reasons.

Back