Recommend me some lower-requirements PC games

racketboy

Established Member
K -- I'm hoping to buy a newER laptop for when I go back to school this fall.

I'll will be around 550-600Mhz PIII with not much in terms of a video card.

So I'm looking for some recomendations of some older games that can run nicely on XP or new ones that don't require much horsepower.

I'm looking for two types of games:

Ones you can pick up an play quickly like puzzle games or Worms Armegeddon.

Also longer games that allow you to save frequently.

Free and cheap games are especially appreciated.

Sega Rally 2 doesn't require much?

I used to have Daytona USA, but don't know what happened to it.

Also has anyone tried those older Sega titles in XP?

Older games in general under XP can be a nightmare.

As for good ones: The Baldur's Gate series, the early Heroes of Might and Magic, Star Craft/Warcraft series, Civilization, Planescape: Torment, Sim City, Alpha Centauri. Thats just a few.

Lode Runner: The return (or something like that)

Worms as you mentioned

Final fantasy 7 and 8 (the pc ports)

Starcraft

Counter-strike

Half-life

Most bargain bin games

I doubt it and you can forget Sega Rally II too, get the first one instead.

Why XP on an old PC? Win98SE is much better.

I forgot about Theme Hospital, Heart of Darkness, Carmageddon, Last Bronx, Worldwide Soccer 97, Settlers II Gold Edition, X-Men COTA,... The Underdogs site has lots of abandon and freeware oldies in case you didn´t know =)

It's not THAT much older, just doesn't have much of a vid card.

It should handle XP fine if I turn off the effects and add RAM.

Anyway, I just like the features and make it more similar to my desktop.

Quake II is good, you can run it in software mode if accelleration presents a problem. But it should run fine. HL might be ok, it doesn't require much video-card wise, you just might have to run it in low detail.

I HIGHLY recommend Fallout 1 & 2; you can get them in a double pack from Interplay's web store for $9.99.

Diablo II is another good one.

For pick up 'n' play type games, I like Virtual Pool 2 and 3D ultra minigolf. Neither one requires much in the way of specs. Also, the Pro Pinball games are AWESOME (best pinball sims ever), and can be run on a lower end machine easily.

Sounds like Thinkpad 600X specs.

HL will run fine is software mode at 800x600 at around 20fps, online gaming. I don't know how well it runs just one player, I haven't played through the game in a long while but I imagine much faster.

Grim Fandango, can't recommend that enough. You can use ScummVM and play a whole slew of old LucasArts games as well.

RTS

Total Anninalation

Age Of Empire 1 & 2

FPS

Q1

Q2

Q3

Shogo Mobile Armor Division

Blood 1

Random

Virtual On

Heavy Gear 1 & 2

+ MORE..

grimfandago is an excellent game btw.

The only computer games I play: Heroes of Might and Magic I-IV, I recommend III the best. you can get all the I-III at EB for about 20 bucks in a compilation package.

It's a turn based strategy\war game, you can save every turn.

A really nice turn based RPG with a Japanese flare is Sceptera Core. It's 2D so not much of a PC is needed to run it. Good story too.

My favorite PC game is Freespace 2, I highly recommend checking it out. Its a little harder to find and a tad costly on ebay but well worth it. I first played it on a 400mhz machine with a horrid video card so it should run fine on yours. I recently played it again on my new machine aswell so I can tell you that it has no problems running on XP. Google up some reviews and you'll find tons of positive comments and great scores.

Other than that... ehm... starcraft? I guess I can't think of any more great games that run on lower end video cards. Those are my 2 suggestions though, both great games in very different ways.

---Ammut

I can advice you those games :) (If you want them you can ask me ) :

- Virtua Tennis

- Daytona Deluxe (can be nice on Inet)

- G Darius

- House Of The Dead 2

- The Puzzle Bobble series

- Sega Rally 2

- Sega Touring Car

- Virtua Cop 2

- Ray Crisis

Back