Question to psp owners

Scared0o0Rabbit

Established Member
Anyone with a psp tried watching subtitled anime on it yet? I'm a little curious if you think the subs are actually readable. I bought a psp today on ebay, for the sole purpose of trying some stuff like this out, but am curious as to what others results are like.

I don't own one, but given the resolution of the screen they should be more than readable, as long as they're encoded at a decent enough quality.

Not sure if the PSP software can do subs on the fly, but that would be the better option if possible (I prefer to watch all my subtitled stuff like that anyway).

As far as I know, it's only capable of MP4 video playback currently. That may change with the 'updates' they plan on releasing for it.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Mon, 2005-04-04 @ 05:05 AM

Anyone with a psp tried watching subtitled anime on it yet? I'm a little curious if you think the subs are actually readable. I bought a psp today on ebay, for the sole purpose of trying some stuff like this out, but am curious as to what others results are like.

[post=132529]Quoted post[/post]​

the video quality is Mpeg4 and is great. I only have the 32meg card, but a friend of mine put some videos on his 512 meg stick, and the quality is great. I don't know if this is even helpful or usefull. But as long as you get a system with no dead pixels, then you'll be all set.

I'm not sure who manufactures the screens for the PSP, but it seems it's a QC problem on their end more than anything (unless Sony themselves are making it). Dead pixels are normal with LCDs, but yeah, it does seem the rate has been rather high (although since the resolution of the PSP is higher than that of other handhelds, you're gonig to have more likelihood of a dead pixel... these things aren't checked as much as laptops and the like, either). I don't think it's the case that one dead pixel means more are going to fail, though. I also think that they likely just replace the entire screen... I'm not sure how feasible it is to repair individual pixels.

do they actually fix the defect that causes the dead pixels? or just the individual pixels? if they just fix a few pixels and then they are likely to die again, I would still be pretty pissed about paying for shipping.

Reportedly, Sony replaces the screen. As far as I know, the defect that causes the dead pixels is in the manufacturing process, and they're there from the moment it rolls off the line; it's not a problem that develops over time.

"But wait, don't they test them?"

Of course they do. But if the manufacturer insisted on only selling panels with zero dead pixels, they'd be throwing away a quite large portion of their product, and frankly, for the price most of their customers are willing to live with a handful of dead pixels as long as they're not too conspicuous (which varies with the locations of the pixels and the application). Also, testing is expensive. This may be hard to believe, but for many products test/QA is overwhelmingly the most expensive part of the manufacturing process, and it should be expected that it will be optimized, like every stage of manufacturing (and business in general), to favor eliminating the most expensive failures and not necessarily the most common ones.

In this case, I suspect that it was not the LCD manufacturer that screwed up. Barring a really big hiccup in the manufacturing process or outright lying on the part of the LCD manufacturer (both of which are possible but strike me as relatively unlikely under the circumstances), Sony knew or should have known roughly what failure rate they were going to get, and they already had a PR line in place to deal with dead pixels. The PSP manual reportedly even contains a disclaimer worded in a way that suggests that every LCD screen suffers from dead pixels:

Red, blue, or green spots (bright spots) or black spots (dark spots) may appear in certain locations on the LCD screen. The appearance of such spots is a normal occurrence associated with LCD screens and not a sign of malfunction. LCD screens are made using highly precise technology. However, a very small number of dark pixels or continuously lit pixels exist on each screen.
(grabbed from GameSpot, who hopefully don't have any incentive to make up quotes and attribute them to the PSP manual)

Read: "The item you just purchased is a bit on the pricey side, even for us here at Sony, and because of the highly precise technology involved, we don't want to lose our ass on testing these units. Therefore, we suggest you bend over and take it."

More like "These screens have a high defect rate, but because we're getting a sweet deal on them, we hereby declare dead pixels to be a feature!". Fortunately, it sounds like they're backing off from that policy.

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea here; it really is a common defect in LCD panels (although they are pretty much lying through their teeth when they say that "each panel" has dead pixels for LCDs in general; Samsung, who is rumored to be manufacturing the US PSP screens, has been reported to have a "zero dead pixel" policy for their own monitors in South Korea), and last time I checked the industry standard is to let a handful (4 or 5) slide on a monitor-size panel as long as they're not clumped together. Still, considering that a PSP screen has fewer than one-fifth the number of pixels in a typical LCD monitor, at a larger pixel size (at least, 480x272 / 4.3 < 1024x768 / 15; I'm feeling too lazy today to bring trigonometry into it), it seems like the standard should be a little tighter than "a very small number".

No dead pixels for me. A quick question, does the analog stick only work in games and not menus? Cause I don't have any games yet, but the analog stick doesn't seem to do anything in the menus for me... =|

Well I jus tdumped the first volume of flame of recca onto the 32 meg memory stick it came with, and it passed my manga test, which means it'll do what I wanted it to do. Unfortunately, I'll have to do a lot of restructuring to have it be usable on the psp as the folder depth kind of sucks.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit+Mon, 2005-04-11 @ 06:36 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scared0o0Rabbit @ Mon, 2005-04-11 @ 06:36 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>No dead pixels for me. A quick question, does the analog stick only work in games and not menus? Cause I don't have any games yet, but the analog stick doesn't seem to do anything in the menus for me... =|

[post=132794]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

Depends on the game, but most stick to just Dpad for menus.

<!--QuoteBegin-Scared0o0Rabbit
@Mon, 2005-04-11 @ 07:36 PM

Unfortunately, I'll have to do a lot of restructuring to have it be usable on the psp as the folder depth kind of sucks.

[post=132805]Quoted post[/post]​

[/quote]

Only one subfolder... playlists can not choose files in different folders... who the hell designed this? Perhaps someone who only listens to 5 songs, or maybe someone who is anti-functionality. But seriously, wtf?

Back