PS3 price estimates

schi0249

Mid Boss
Merril Lunch Japan has released some estimates on what Sony's PS3 price and costs may be. I am very skeptical of any early figures, but thought what the hell. Personally, I think these numbers are probably low. My father in law is working on Blu-Ray, and he was telling me how far behind they are on a release. He was telling me the PS3 may realisticaly be one of the first Blu-Ray players out. It's even possible, that by using Blu-Ray, it could even delay the release of the PS3. For anyone curious, he is a technical engineer. He worked on the original CD project, as well as CD-R and CD/RW.

Though Blu-Ray has better specs, I'm more interested in HD-DVD. With only slight modification, companies are going to able to produce those as well as DVD. However, Blu-Ray requires a totaly seperate and different setup. Will Blu-Ray be the next Beta; or will it truly be the next step in DVD?

Wow, an estimated $400 bucks for the PS3 compared to the estimated $300 for the Xbox 360. This reminds me of the prices for the Saturn and PlayStation when they were released.

Given the huge consumer base Sony already has in Japan, and the lack of popularity of the XBOX over there, a $400 Japan release is probably realistic. However, I don't see the Playstation 3 as debuting any higher that $350 here in the US. The competition will just be too strong to debut the system at $100+ more than an XBOX 360, especially when you consider that Microsoft will have a holiday season and several months afterwards to expand thier in-roads with the American consumer before the PS3 hits.

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Fri, 2005-07-01 @ 06:23 PM

Revolution is speculated to be around $200. You forgot to mention that one Akuma.

:D :thumbs-up:

[post=136135]Quoted post[/post]​

But Nintendo is targetting a different market. Miyamoto wants to make games for people who aren't interested in games.

And as far as PS3 goes, I'm sick of that arrogant prick Ken Kutaragi, and I hope Xbox 360 outsells it (I doubt it, but possible). It's that stupid Betamax II, err Blu-Ray drive that is causing the price increase, and for what? a console that is marginally better than Xbox 360. I'll wait until the first round of price drops before I rush out to get a PS3, unless there is some unexpected killer app at launch.

Originally posted by Dud@Fri, 2005-07-01 @ 06:53 PM

And as far as PS3 goes, I'm sick of that arrogant prick Ken Kutaragi.

[post=136137]Quoted post[/post]​

Damn right.

Something I took from the GameFAQs boards:

Lately they have been getting arrogant however, and it is very annoying to see both that and some of the results.

Remember this?

~~~

Kutaragi was unapologetic about the issue: "This is the design that we came up with. There may be people that complain about its usability, but that's something which users and game software developers will have to adapt to. I didn't want the PSP's LCD screen to become any smaller than this, nor did I want its machine body to become any larger.

"The button's location is [architectured] on purpose," Kutaragi added. "It's according to specifications. This is something that we've created, and this is our specification. There was a clear purpose to it, and it wasn't a mistake."

Offering additional testimony praising the handheld, Kutaragi said, "I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that."

~~~

Personally, quality is a huge issue for me. As soon as my PS2 broke and I found out how many others broke and the pain they put me through fixing THEIR mistake I knew I was done with Sony.

Quality problems happen again with the PSP and look at what they say! I couldn't believe it.

And now just recently, Sony stops fixing DRE's for free. Un-freaking-believable. Companies that treat their customers this way and have that kind of attitude don't deserve to succeed. I've hoped this for a while now and maybe other people are starting to see, Sony needs to go DOWN.

Why I'm looking forward to Revolution:

Nintendo was better this generation for first time since NES (I prefer the MD and PSX over the SFC and N64. I LOVE the N64 though).

They're focusing solely on games.

Due to the games only focus, the consumer won't have to pay for all the extra bullshit that Sony's cramming down our throats that drives the cost up.

I personally would be surprised to see the PS3 for less than $400. Assuming a $500 cost, real liberal, Selling for $350 would mean a LOSS of $2.1 BILLION. Even for Sony, that is a large amount to loss in cost alone. Than when you figure marketing, that number could jump to $5 BILLION over the first 2-3 years. I'm sorry, but I don't see even Sony willing to take that loss. If you include the R & D for the system, that number balloons up even higher.

All that said, the PS3 will still do very well. Will they lose any market share, if MS is lucky, maybe 5%. That still amounts to Sony being the dominate number 1.

Who cares, you next gen gamer tools will pay for this shit anyway, you'll just bitch about the price all the way to the store. i haven't bought a system since the dreamcast. nothing is worth paying for.

Originally posted by Dud@Fri, 2005-07-01 @ 06:53 PM

But Nintendo is targetting a different market. Miyamoto wants to make games for people who aren't interested in games.

[post=136137]Quoted post[/post]​

I believe so too. But I would also agree that Microsoft and Sony are, too, targeting a different market. Microsoft I believe is targeting the PC gamers, and Sony; HTPC/ average joe.

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh+Fri, 2005-07-01 @ 07:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RolfWrenWalsh @ Fri, 2005-07-01 @ 07:23 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Revolution is speculated to be around $200. You forgot to mention that one Akuma.

:D :thumbs-up:

[post=136135]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b]
That's because that article made no mention of Revolution's estimated price. :D :thumbs-up:

<!--QuoteBegin-SkankinMonkey
@Fri, 2005-07-01 @ 10:11 PM

Who cares, you next gen gamer tools will pay for this shit anyway, you'll just bitch about the price all the way to the store. i haven't bought a system since the dreamcast. nothing is worth paying for.

[post=136145]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]Haha, I'm with you on this. My last two consoles were two Dreamcasts, first one I got for free and the second one I bought new when the price dropped to $50. :p

us$400 is too much for a console, no matter where you live. I remember of the same talk just when xbox was about to be launched

Back