PC Internal Temperature

mtxblau

Mid Boss
For the last three years I've been more of a laptop person, so forgive my cluelessness.

I know a CPU can get around 58C, but the internal temperature of a desktop PC, what does that average out to? Usually? I have a slot cooling fan, an 80mm intake fan, cpu fan, passive cooling on a radeon 9200 and the AOpen exhaust built into the PSU.

It's an Athlon XP 1700+ with 512MB of ram.

The reason why I'm asking is that I'd like to deaden the panels with dynamat that I have leftover, but wanted to make sure the internal temp doesn't generally exceed 160F (to anyone's knowledge).

I'm almost certain that it doesn't, but want to be *absolutely* certain that it doesn't... thanks in advance.

EDIT: I do game on this PC, but the most graphic consuming game I play, I would say is GTA:SA (don't have much time to play you see). I'd like to use it more often but where it sits, and how much it resonates drives me batty, hence deadening the sound...

While it's conceivable that a single component could get that hot (though I'm almost certain that would be out of spec for just about any chip you'd find in the typical PC), I find it incredibly unlikely that the general internal case temperature would rise to that level.

One of my PCs I used to use would get really hot (and you could notice it during use... ugh that case really sucked). Well the internal temperature would run at about 49C/120F and peak up even higher during heavy use; and it sucked... you don't even want to know what the CPU would get too.

I would set the thing as close to an AC vent as I could with floor fans... it was bad. Then that case decided to short out my mobo... YEY!

Atleast it gave me a reason to actually buy a new case at the time (years ago)

But anyones... 160F is a bit high! I'd be shooting for a much lower temperature. You know, maybe a temperature that wouldn't kill you if you were standing in it outside.

Excellent, thank you.

The stuff I have worked wonders in my car (scion xb) - where before at highway driving you'd have to crank the radio near max to just HEAR IT... now you can have normal level conversations at 80mph (and I didn't do the wheel wells or the doors yet).

I'm hoping the monstrosity of a case that I have gets a bit quieter than it is now. But right now, it's an echo chamber.

At a constant 160F apparently this stuff disintegrates into a puddle of asphalt, so I'll be hunting each of you down personally if you're wrong. :D

Oh... so that why you need it below 160F.

Well no, your computer won't get that hot, BUT don't forget that is because of the way a case is designed. I am not sure what temperatures it 'could' reach. As I have had my CPU up to 72C (damn deadly for the fucker aint it?** HAHAHA and surprisingly is 160F) anyways, that means with out proper cooling that gets rather hot... the case wouldn't reach that, but you know if you have something like Asphalt (which doesn't disipate heat very well) or what ever this stuff is inside your case it will probably hold the temperature in there and making the cooling process rather slow. This is rather unsafe for the computer components.

Not saying it's gonna melt, just saying the shit is gonna overheat your system possibly.

**this processor I did this with was a crapped out P4 that I wanted to see how hot it would get with only passive cooling and no paste... it spiked to the mid 70's and was still climbing when I started to smell something nasty and decided my fun was done for that day.

I highly doubt it would get that hot anyway - one time I put the ICE fan in my Shuttle - the fan that is connected to the CPU with a heatpipe and blows air out, pretty much the only fan in the case - back in backwards and left the machine running for a while -- even then it didn't get nearly that hot.

Just make sure you don't block any airflow. Putting that stuff on the sides of the case will definitely stop some heat from being radiated out, especially if you have a metal case, but should only hamper the overall airflow slightly. Probably not worth it if your temps go up more than 5 or so degrees, though.

How about this: are there any good freeware programs that allow you to monitor cpu/mb temp? Tried and tested (and recommended) by the SX community?

Back