Overwhelming Power of Doom3!

Doom3 will have the best graphics in gaming history. No modern graphics GPU will be able to handle it at 60FPS!

Not even the All mighty GF FX5950 Ultra & ATI Radeon 9800 XT!

:thumbs-up:

Time to throw away your old PCs!

The apocalypse is coming!!!!

And if you Infidels don’t upgrade, then you will burn in the fiery pits of hell!!!

:thumbs-up: :devil :devil

It looks sweet, but I hope they add some outdoor environments to the game. I don't see it happening with full effects on the engine though. Maybe they could do it like Far Cry and have full bumpmapping and shadows indoors, with regular more regular type textures outdoors. That's sort of what it looks like during the intro scene in the alpha when it pans past the Martian city anyway.

What?

Aren't there any out door scenes in Doom3?

The whole game takes place in dark corridors in the Deimos station?

Looks like it from all the screenshots I've seen. They're really trying to (over)use the whole hide in shadows thing, with lots of creatures jumping out at you from them.

It's the Revenant.

revenant.gif

revenant.gif

He shoots missiles at you but doesn't bring back the dead. That's the Arch Vile.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Mar 28, 2004 @ 01:13 PM

It does look very very good in terms of texture and lightning, but the geometry is so basic.

As far as i can recall, carmack's plan was to use less detailed geometry when designing models and simply using advanced techniques during play to give the creatures theyre detailed appearances, light meshes, etc etc over the simply model.

Quite true; the polycount has to be kept fairly low because there are so many rendering passes involved. Although I believe some of the models are using normal maps, which makes the geometry look like it has a higher polycount than it really does. I can assure you that although the environments seem to be all indoor, they are generally much more detailed than that screenshot shows.

Back