Ninja Gaiden

Haha, very funny.. :lol:

In FFVII's case, I had no idea of all the hype. I mean, there were all the commercials in the world, but that's just marketing. No one at my school had ever played Final Fantasy before, so I didn't hear anything about it. I wasn't using the internet at the time, so that's another factor. Although my step-bro played FF a lot...

I just felt like playing it that faithful December 26, 1997 at about 11:00 AM. Having no idea what I was expecting or getting into.

Just got the game today. It isn't bad per se, but it's not that great either. I'll also have to agree with Cloud that, this game is VERY similar to Devil May Cry, the menus do look like they were ripped right out of Devil May Cry or Onimusha. Also the game is way to hard, I'm only on Chapter 3 where you have to fight the stupid fuck with the blue laser on the airship, and I'm already having trouble.

It should go without saying that this is all just my opinion. Don't take my word for it, try the game for yourselves. I've got a lot of anger, and maybe I'm taking it out on this poor game.

Originally posted by mountaindud@Aug 7, 2004 @ 12:40 AM

Also the game is way to hard, I'm only on Chapter 3 where you have to fight the stupid fuck with the blue laser on the airship, and I'm already having trouble.

That enemy is glitchy, you can run and slash through him over and over.

You were right, it's easy if you just stick to hit and run attacks, and stay close to him.

I finally bought my own copy of Devil May Cry today (I borrowed my step-brother's a couple years ago).

Goddamn, I missed this game! It's so much better than Ninja Gaiden...

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Aug 7, 2004 @ 05:50 AM

That enemy is glitchy, you can run and slash through him over and over.

It doesn't seem consistent though. It was really, really pissing me off, because I watched my friend tear him up by diving through him with the upgraded sword. Then he watched me do the same thing, and he starts blocking me and clobbering me over the head. So I made him do it again, and oh look he isn't having such an easy time of it now.

Whoa, my buddy was showing me some of the what the downloads add. Free games upgrades are kind of nice.

Originally posted by Alexvrb+Sun, 2004-09-19 @ 12:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexvrb @ Sun, 2004-09-19 @ 12:09 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Whoa, my buddy was showing me some of the what the downloads add. Free games upgrades are kind of nice.

[post=119131]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

I know what you mean, it almost makes me want Xbox Live, I'll have to check to see if anyone I know has a free Xbox Live Trial.

<!--QuoteBegin-mountaindud
@Sat, 2004-08-07 @ 12:40 AM

Just got the game today. It isn't bad per se, but it's not that great either. I'll also have to agree with Cloud that, this game is VERY similar to Devil May Cry, the menus do look like they were ripped right out of Devil May Cry or Onimusha. Also the game is way to hard, I'm only on Chapter 3 where you have to fight the stupid fuck with the blue laser on the airship, and I'm already having trouble.

It should go without saying that this is all just my opinion. Don't take my word for it, try the game for yourselves. I've got a lot of anger, and maybe I'm taking it out on this poor game.

[post=114854]Quoted post[/post]​

[/quote]

I must retract the above statement. I've been playing Ninja Gaiden again, and I have to say that once I overcame the ridiculous difficulty level this became one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played. Definitely my favorite Xbox game, and one of my top ten favorites from this generation of consoles. Truly an amazing game.

I must retract the above statement. I've been playing Ninja Gaiden again, and I have to say that once I overcame the ridiculous difficulty level this became one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played. Definitely my favorite Xbox game, and one of my top ten favorites from this generation of consoles. Truly an amazing game.

Why do I have a feeling I'll do the same?

Because you're a fanboy who has his "X similar game is superior" statements consistently shot down after you really sit down with something and get into it? Just a thought. :p

I've got to renew my Xbox Live subscription. Maybe next paycheck. Grr...

After finally making it to chapter four (woohoo!), I've really grown to love Ninja Gaiden. It's hard as I don't know what, but at the same time it's rewarding. While playing it, I asked myself what makes this game good. Here's some observations:

- In essence, the game seems to be a weapons-based 3D fighting game (like DOA) on a macroscopic scale. The intimacy (and intricacy) of the combat system would be pretty intense on a one-on-one level, but since Team Ninja has you battling multiple enemies at once. Granted, it's a bit more simple, but given the intelligence of the enemy and the number of opponents, it's quite daunting. You have to be thinking of many things at once to get a grip on this game. That's why for me, I have to be in a particular mindset to play this game.

- While the combat takes precedent, TN also incorporates facile level design and a tremendous control scheme. Ryu literally moves on a dime. In fact, sometimes I feel that it's too sensitive, but honestly it has to be in order for the game to be fun. A problem I find though is in Ryu's acrobatics: I am a bit frustrated that TN didn't allow Ryu to grab ledges with more regularity (a la prince of persia). There were many times when I was able to get him to run up a wall high enough to grab a ledge, but he wouldn't do it. Couple that with the sensitive control scheme, and sometimes you have a confusing jumping scenario. This can be ameliorated with practice, but still...

- The story is mediocre, but who cares? The intensity of the combat simply bowls over this aspect.

I think this game is a positive step towards a revival of difficult games. During the early days, videogames were hard because the challenge was basically the driving selling point these days; graphics were incredibly spartan back then. Today, graphics are a viable selling point for games. I don't think this is necessarily bad, but it does cause stagnation in creativity. Games like Ninja Gaiden show a new way to re-introduce difficulty in mainstream games: Much like 2D shooters, you reward the player's skill with a visual treat. And, there is a tangible satisfaction in mastering the controls of the game.

I just got DMC3, but I'm waiting to play that when I get back to school. I think we might be heading towards an interesting period in gaming.

There does seem to be more games with a tough difficultly level appearing. Not many but certainly more then there was a few years ago.

I would add Viewtiful Joe in that catagory as well.

The key thing is gamplay which is tough but fair. There have been a lot of games which are difficult to complete, but the difficultly will come from an unfair control system or contain sections which require luck to complete.

With Ninja Gaiden, you feel you could complete the whole game without dieing if you where good enough. When you die its your own fault not the games.

Originally posted by tsumake@Sun, 2005-03-13 @ 02:28 AM

Today, graphics are a viable selling point for games. I don't think this is necessarily bad...

[post=131385]Quoted post[/post]​

What are you talking about - it's the very definition of bad!! This is the sole reason why I stopped playing games of mid 1996 and yonder, since they were getting easier and easier as an expense of being prettier and prettier. Hell, I've only played about 15 or so (max) of the current generation games, since ... no, I think I won't finish that sentance.

Sorry for being a sourpuss about this, but as we speak difficult console games are virtually non-existent, and I don't see much of a future for them anyway. The market has changed drastically. A film analogy would be such as the market being comprised of people who go to movies for the sake of something to do. They don't really care what it is they are watching, as long as they can understand it easily - in other words: doesn't require too much thinking.

It's nice that you have thought up reasons for the success of this favorite of yours, tsumake. I will look forward to playing Ninja Gaiden in the future, but it won't be anytime soon, I'm afraid. For now, I'm quite content with my Bemani fix, aswell as various shooters and other old-school favorites.

P.S. 9 times out of 10, it will be your fault - not the games - when you die.

Speaking as a Film Major, and a struggling filmmaker, I think a better analogy would be comparing a low-budget film to a special-effects laden extravaganza (EPIII anyone?). Now, while I think these huge wastes of money are not worth my time, there is potential to explore different experiences from the medium. In games, more sophisticated graphics lead to a different game experience. It isn't necessarily a worse experience, most of the time it's not, but it's different.

Another analogy is color film versus black and white. You ask anyone who likes film and they will tell you that they are two different experiences, not just because one has color and one is in monochrome. I personally prefer black and white, but I definitely see no problem with color, though like with video games no one seems to use it a meaningful way anymore. (Anyone mentions Kill Bill, and I will just simply groan....)

Of course, with games like Ninja Gaiden and DMC3, I think we'll see a resurgence of difficult and challenging games. It won't be a mainstream thing, but then again it won't necessarily be niche either. Gamers are getting older, and with age comes nostalgia. Here's hoping for the best....

The game was difficult yes, but it was also extremely frusterating. There were points were you would get stuck with no potions and such and all you could do was pray. Furthermore, some of the platform jumping had me scratching my head.

As well, tsumake, your comment on the battle system isn't that accurate. Most of the time, you'll come to rely on the Izuna drop or some other suck cheap easy way of dispensing enemies for fear of dying or having too many problems. Nevertheless, game is great and for the most mart satiisfyingly difficult but just poorly balanced at time. Did anyone else find it to be harder at the end than begininng?

True, there are points where you're stuck without potions, so you have to learn to horde them throughout the game. It's no different that in (most of) the RE series. It's frustrating, but since the game is so much fun, it wasn't so hard for to try the game from the beginning again to save up on potions. Polished my rating a bit too...

It's true, difficult games are few and far between, but I think it makes a game like this even more special. It's like a pleasant or not so pleasant suprise if you will. I think there is no doubt that Ninja Gaiden inspired Devil May Cry 3 developers to make it more difficult, and I have a feeling others will follow. It's obvious that there is a market for these type of games. How else can people measure their hardcoreness?

I've beaten Ninja Gaiden and DMC3 on Normal Mode, but neither on Hard... That's moderately hardcore, but I really need to replay those games and increase my hardcorocity...

Yes there must be a market for hard games, like Ninja Gaiden. Why else would temco release those hurricane packs with extra difficulty.

Back