My first saturn helloworld! :P (not much)

SegaSaturnShrine

Established Member
Hey all, been playing around with @johannes 's engine lately. I don't have anything impressive to show off by any means, all I did was modified his existing helloworld example (only changed the strings of text lol), but hey there's a first time for everything :p. I'm completely new to programming on the Saturn and to the C language as a whole, so go lightly on me :p. The main language I'm familiar with is MATLAB due to my studies being focused on hardware development rather than software, and I have some experience with PIC16/PIC18 ASM and a little bit of PPC ASM, but yeah. I keep hearing MATLAB and C/C++ have a lot of similarities to MATLAB so that will be helpful. Who knows maybe if some day I ever become good at saturn programming, I can port over watered down version of FREEMAT (free open source clone of MATLAB). Don't hold you breathe on that one, its more of a joke than anything haha.

helloworld.png

Screenshot is from Yabause, haven't tried it on actual hardware yet, as my nephew's playing Wii U on the tv :p, but it should run just fine, considering Jo's example does run on my saturn no problem...

Hey all, been playing around with @johannes 's engine lately. I don't have anything impressive to show off by any means, all I did was modified his existing helloworld example (only changed the strings of text lol), but hey there's a first time for everything :p. I'm completely new to programming on the Saturn and to the C language as a whole, so go lightly on me :p. The main language I'm familiar with is MATLAB due to my studies being focused on hardware development rather than software, and I have some experience with PIC16/PIC18 ASM and a little bit of PPC ASM, but yeah. I keep hearing MATLAB and C/C++ have a lot of similarities to MATLAB so that will be helpful. Who knows maybe if some day I ever become good at saturn programming, I can port over watered down version of FREEMAT (free open source clone of MATLAB). Don't hold you breathe on that one, its more of a joke than anything haha.

View attachment 4456

Screenshot is from Yabause, haven't tried it on actual hardware yet, as my nephew's playing Wii U on the tv :p, but it should run just fine, considering Jo's example does run on my saturn no problem...

Good job ! Setting up development environment is always the boring job, but mandatory when starting development.
Please have fun with C language :)

Good job ! Setting up development environment is always the boring job, but mandatory when starting development.
Please have fun with C language :)

Thanks, I saw that you commented on my awful Sonic R let's play video XD. I really need to invest in a capture card haha.

Thanks, I saw that you commented on my awful Sonic R let's play video XD. I really need to invest in a capture card haha.

Yeah, I'm probably the last people to like Sonic R :D
Controls are soapy, but after getting some experience, you get used to them.

I personally prefer "handmade" videos rather than captured ones :)

Haha, I don't know my way around the saturn yet, just figuring things out, I'd probably be more of a setback then any sort of help lol

"that escalated quickly" :D

Ya, a really simple hello world==saturn expert/veteran XD totally hahaha. Not to mention I'm learning C on the fly as I go here. I've noticed the syntax for calling functions is completely different than in MATLAB which I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around. I won't be taking classes in C or C++ for quite some time, so trying to learn on my own as I go in what little free time I have lol.

Back