Modding Model 1, 20pin

I've scoured the internet for information on this, including the board and the SegaXtreme website, but I've found NOTHING on this. Everything is Model 2 this, and 21 pin that. It's starting to annoy me. I would have thought that a Model 1 would be the most modded, or the easiest to mod in some ways, seeing as it is an earlier model. But everyone talks about the Model 2, and i just cant get past it. I don't plan on buying another saturn simply because mine has 20 pins and not 21. :damn:

So, if anyone has any mod's or information on modding the Model 1 to play back-ups or imports, or anything of that sort, Please tell me.

And on another note, why not sticky a Model 1 modding FAQ. I think it may be a little more needed than "How to mod a 21 pin Saturn," because that's already EVERYWHERE.

Thanks.

It's all because you can't easily get mods (if at all) for 20 pin Model 1 Saturns anymore.

You show me the mod and I'll write you the guide.

Any other questions?

Let me think about it.

I've kind of moved on from the whole 'hacked 21 pin mod experiment', but never say never.

Seriously though, It would be pretty cool to figure out how to make a mod for Model 1. If one is made, SegaXtreme could even sell them or something.

I am liking this direction :)

20 pin mods arn't made anymore because there isn't a market for them (though almost every Chinese store carried them). The Saturn is so old no pirate manufacture cares, and they've all gone to bigger and greater things. The only people left who need 20 pin mods are the guys who were never in the loop in the first place.

Well I think it would be cool to get one out. What is so different between a 20 pin adn 21 pin saturn anyways? What does that extra pin do?

Hmm ok well if you guys can see the differences, can a convertor not be made?

As well on that note, is there not anybody on this board who has a Model 1 Saturn modded, and has pictures of it? Maybe that is sort of the key to all of this?

The lack of a clock signal source on a model 1 Saturn and the lack of 8.467MHz crystals make it rather tough.

I'm sure that there's the technology available to find such a clock signal on the model 1 CD board, but I wouldn't know how to use it even if I had it. :(

Ahh I understand a little better now. Are those 8.467 crystals not made at all though? Could they not be purchased for testing? I know this costs money, however if they weren't catastrophic I would not mind chipping in for em, or for testing.

It's finding them that's the problem.

While I haven't had a good look for any lately, the last time I looked was in vain.

Back