Microsoft wants Mike Rowe to give up domain name

MasterAkumaMatata

Established Member
A 17-year old high school student in Victoria, British Columbia has been offered a cash payment to sell his new domain name to Microsoft. The student, Mike Rowe, added "soft" to his name and registered [url]www.MikeRoweSoft.com[/url]. The student and the large software firm with a similar name are now in negotiations "to reach a mutually agreeable resolution" over compensation. For details see http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/...t.ap/index.html

He wrote back asking to be compensated for giving up his name. Microsoft's lawyers offered him $10 in U.S. funds. Then he asked for $10,000.

:lol: :flamethrower:

Originally posted by racketboy@Jan 21, 2004 @ 11:02 AM

$10?

yea that doesn't seem right...not to mention where can you even register a domain name for $10....and why would MS want it sure it sounds like microsoft but so what?

and go look at other registered domains... like mikerowsoft...that's been registered for .net .com and a few others, why doesn't MS jump all over that.

Hm Yeah I read about this a while ago.

Apprently he had to give it up because after they offered him 10 dollars, he said his effort alone was worth 10,000 as a joke. If you state that are willin gto sell the site for money, it is fair game for them to shut it down since you didnt have an intention of keeping it to begin with.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhhhhhhhahahahahajhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahh only 10 dollars, hey ill give u ten dollars for a website, because we need it and our company is worth billions of dollars, and ur website can confuse people because we need even more money, even it is impossible to spend it all in a lifetime.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Jan 21, 2004 @ 09:50 PM

Hm Yeah I read about this a while ago.

Apprently he had to give it up because after they offered him 10 dollars, he said his effort alone was worth 10,000 as a joke. If you state that are willin gto sell the site for money, it is fair game for them to shut it down since you didnt have an intention of keeping it to begin with.

So if this is true.. then perhaps the 10 dollar offer was merely a trick to get him to state he was willing to sell it, so now they can get it for nothing?

Originally posted by Zziggy00+Jan 21, 2004 @ 05:11 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zziggy00 @ Jan 21, 2004 @ 05:11 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-racketboy@Jan 21, 2004 @ 11:02 AM

$10?

yea that doesn't seem right...not to mention where can you even register a domain name for $10....and why would MS want it sure it sounds like microsoft but so what? [/b][/quote]

I registered my domain for $6 a year. That was a promotionaly offer, but you can easily find ones that will give you a .com domain for under $10.

Back