Metroid Prime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently (about two days ago) I finaly managed to get myself a gamecube to call my own, and with it, Metroid Prime. At first I was over joyed, but now, well...im not. You see, before I got my cube I hade been hearing rumors circulating through the net about the newly released Metroid Prime, saying that aproximatly 40% of all the shipped copies had a defect, one which cause the game to lock up on a certain elivator sequence. I payed no attention to them and bought the game anyways. Unfortunatly, I should have listend, for the copy I have is ammoung those 40%, and now at a mere one hour into the game, I am forced to quit because of this flaw. So any one planning on getting the game, take this as a warning.

yeah, I think people are probably trying to do something with the controller when it locks up

which is rather stupid, and therefore deserving of a lockup

the elevators are merely a transition sequence, and there is a lot of dumping and loading going on
if you fuck with the controller, you aren't going to accomplish anything worthy, you certainly can't cut the trip short, and you should just SIT THERE AND LET IT FUCKIN HAPPEN

damn, bitch
I was talking to someone else about what you posted. Is there any truth to what he says? Please do not react to his trash talk.

Hmm.. I'm putting up with the bug. Actually no I'm not. You know why? Because the damned game isn't out here for another THREE months! Nyyargh!

Sorry, had to vent my frustration somewhere.

No, I dont ever touch controlers durring cinematicas, unless of corse their real time and require some sort of use from the contoler. I have tried about nine times so far, it will never get past that sequence. on friday night I plan on returning the game for another copy. Hopefully it wount be defective like my current one.

Just to let you all know, I retured my defective copy, and got a new one. It works like a charm. In fact, im 44% through the game now, and must say that it was certainly worth getting a gamecube for :)

I just found somthing very strange that I thought you all should here about the game. The other day I took out my copy of mp from my gc, and noticed it had a bit of dust on the side that gets read by the system, so I decided to whipe it off. After whiping it off, I poped it back into my gc and started to play. Once I started riding the elevator to a place known as the Chozo ruins, it froze. The thing is, the chozo ruins elevator is the same place my defective copy locked up on, and this one, my new copy, had never froze their. So I took the disk out again and proceded to re-clean it. After trying the elevator again, it worked. In other words it looks like the disks of mp may not actualy be defective, just VERY VERY sensitive to dust in certain parts. Not sure why it would be so sensitive, or why some would need cleaning right after being removed from the package for the first time for that matter (ex: my first copy), but I thought everyone should know, especialy Karny, in case when you get yours it locks up at certain parts, that it may just be somthing as simple as cleaning it.

Thanks for the pointer, I really hope I get a decent copy of MP.

It would be such a mission to have to try and get it replaced.

I don't know why nobody else has mentioned this, but a 40% defect rate is extremely unlikely. It's possible that one store had a 40% defect rate, but even a 5% overall defect rate on such a big game during a big buying season would have people shouting from the rooftops - 40% would probably show up in mainstream news. A Usenet search turned up nothing for me...

Well, I think it may be because alot of people are taking the games defects as coding glitches. Take a look here for an example. Others on the Gaming Age forums have said that their copies froze, like my old one, alot, and were thus defective. They had a post (not sure if its still on their), that ran about 15 pages worth of people complaining that their copies were defective.

My first copy of the game froze several times, at various times and locations. I exchanged that disc for another, and the second one instead brought up an error message at seemingly random moments, telling me to reset the system. In approximately twenty-five hours of playing time, I’ve had Metroid Prime freeze or crash nearly a dozen times

I hate to say it, but it really sounds like the poor guy needs to exchange his Cube, not Metroid Prime. Random freezes and crashes tend to indicate hardware problems. It's certainly possible for software to cause them, but buggy software is far more likely to suffer from higher-level problems that only occur in certain situations (e.g. getting stuck in doors, lock-on starts targeting enemies you already destroyed, etc.), because the low-level code spends the least time getting tweaked and the most time getting tested (especially when standard libraries are used). His complaint about grappling beam control, on the other hand, sounds like a genuine bug. Considering your experience with the disc being dirty, it also might be the case that the error recovery code for disc reading isn't that great either; perhaps it just tries once and gives up if the read fails...

For now, I can't really be sure what the defect rate and cause are, but I very much doubt that this is an epidemic.

this game is awesome. I am only 25 percent done with this game and I cannot say enough about the game. I mean the depth , the graphics, the gameplay, the EVERYTHING. I mean I can;t wait to beat it to see how great the ending is.. truely a masterpiece. Bravo Nintendo and retro studios.. well done.. to all who haven't played this yet... DO IT... its worth it... get metroid prime.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stack99: About the ending, just in case you don't know, their are three different endings, and the only way to get the best one is to try and get 100%. If you do manage to get 100%, please be sure to pm me or somthing, id realy like to know what happens in it (I couldn't get past 95%).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back