Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Dud

Established Member
Has anyone gotten this game yet? Mine is coming on Friday, I'll be waiting on the porch until the FedEx guy comes, but I'm going to time it so I only have to wait outside for an hour or so. Anyway, this is the most excited I've been about a game all year, just curious if anyone has an opinion on it yet.

I don't have the game, nor have I ever played any of the others in the series, but can I just say that MGS3 has the worst subtitle evar! Seriously, I can't say it out loud without giggling like a schoolgirl on speed. :hehehe:

It is pretty funny, Kojima has a silly sense of humor. But I think it comes from the aspect of the game that you can eat animals.

You DO know where the term "Snake Eater" comes from right?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to MGS3, although I most likely won't be playing it until 2005. If I'm lucky, I may get it before the end of the year, but money is tight, and RE4 is top priority.

I got the demo to hold me over though.

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Thu, 2004-11-18 @ 12:09 AM

[post=123965]Quoted post[/post]​

I see what's going on here..... You two need to grow up. :p

It's military slang for Special Forces, who can't exactly haul around a month's worth of rations in case they get stuck behind enemy lines for a while. <_<

Try as hard as you like guys, I refuse to take the term "Snake Eater" seriously...especially when used in conjunction with "metal gear" which is "solid". :hehehe:

Originally posted by ExCyber@Wed, 2004-11-17 @ 11:34 PM

It's military slang for Special Forces, who can't exactly haul around a month's worth of rations in case they get stuck behind enemy lines for a while. <_<

[post=123967]Quoted post[/post]​

Exactly, just making sure you guys knew it.

I am currently borrowing this from blockbuster, its great, fun and in the same tradition of the legendary metal gear games, this one lives up to its predecessors... so far this game is amazing... if your a fan of the series, get it.

I liked the first one, but hated the second. I've considered picking up the XBox version, though. I rented the PS2 and couldn't stand Raiden. Damn pussy isn't fit to hold Snakes clip.

Yeah I finished this game yesterday night. I was a little pissed at how often I get spotted because the camera points at the top of you head instead of at what's in front of you, and it's infinitely more important to see what's going on around you in this installment. However the amazing ending totally redeems any shortcomings the game has. I recommend.

I may get MGS3 as I loved MGS1. My main worry is the cut scenes, MGS2 went way over the top with them. I hated the way the plot went after you met the president .

Originally posted by axelblazeadam@Sun, 2004-11-21 @ 06:00 PM

I may get MGS3 as I loved MGS1. My main worry is the cut scenes, MGS2 went way over the top with them. I hated the way the plot went after you met the president .

[post=124196]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm in the minority that loved MGS2 and was just so-so with the original. I like trippy games with weird over the top plot twists. I think you'll like this one though, the plot is more straight-forward like MGS1 was.

This game is so good, so perfect, the ending is so beautiful ToT

Everyone needs to play it.

I even love this game better than Sons of Liberty.

Dammit! I wanna play this now! But Christmas... RE4....

Oh well...

I'll live, I didn't play MGS for over a year after it came out. MGS2 went about seven months before I played that.

Meh..

The credits just finished rolling.

Well..

It was a great game nonetheless, but MGS is still a lot better in my opinion. I actually liked MGS2 moreso than this.

Anyway...

Heh... Not surprisingly, I kinda bit lost with the plot and everything about halfway through, and never really understood everything after that (Although the whole deal with Boss in the ending (NOT before you fight her, but the actual ending) cleared some things up).

Speaking of Boss...

God I hated her, she was really annoying (Probably just her VA), and she just looked weird. :blink:

I never really thought much about the graphics...

Until you get to the caves! :drool: The backgrounds and water effects are amazing! The flame effects later in the game are FUCKING INCREDIBLE! Fury was my favorite fight alone, just for the flame effects.

The best part of the game, was when Snake's walking down the river, and the trees are on fire. Put together the best water effects, and best fire effects I've ever seen, makes for some serious eye candy. :drool:

Ocelot was the man. He took awhile to grow on me, but he was real cool.

Oh yeah and, play the game the way it was meant to be played. Play with the Raiden mask on all game! That's what I did! :p

Bow before Raidenovitch Raikov! (God... Why did Kojima have to make him a gay guy?)

Eva: "I'm able to get several men to take their clothes off, but not him. I'm sure you'll be able to Snake."

Me: "WHA?!!! They made Raiden a gay guy!" :damn:

Also, why the hell does everyone say that the game can takes about... 17 hours or so if you RUSH IT, when I beat it in just over nine while taking my time? :huh

The final boss area has to be one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in my life. :drool:

The worst flaw of MGS2 carried over to MGS3, that being the absolute lack of character development in some cases.

In MGS2, the enemies lacked so much personality (Fortune has to be the worst character in any game ever), but MGS3 is even worse than that! UGH! It goes like this "Oh.. big guy with hornets is attacking me, I must kill him." "Here's a big guy with a flamethrower! Run! Shoot him!" There almost seems to be no point to the boss battles.

In the original MGS, the enemies had some personality, that made you like them. The scene after the second Sniper Wolf battle is very emotional, and has made me cry.

Also, Eva is the main female protagonist... Uh... Did they just throw her in there for sex appeal?! I just didn't care for any of the characters at all. Not even "Snake". Ocelot was the only one who really interested me (His meow drove me insane. I want to kill whoever decided to give him that...).

The soundtrack was pretty good at points. You have no idea how excited I got when I heard the MGS2 Theme during the Granin cutscene, and during the ending, and credits. I really didn't pay that much attention to the soundtrack as I do the other games.!

All in all, I was a bit dissapointed with the game. Like I said, it's a great game, but you won't see me playing through it six times like I did with the original and Twin Snakes.

I will say again, the water effects, and fire effects are the best I have ever seen in any game. Ever. WOW!

Hmm, I just beat the game as well. Even though this game looks better than MGS2, I really, really miss the silky smooth 60 FPS MGS2 had. Seeing some of those cutscenes push towards that magic number almost put tears in my eyes...

Why does 60 FPS look so good on a TV? Is it because of the 60 hz NTSC refresh rate?

Why does 60 FPS look so good on a TV? Is it because of the 60 hz NTSC refresh rate?

Basically. Strictly speaking it is an interlaced 29.97fps display, but it can still be updated 60 times per second (although this can lead to some ugly artifacts in certain situations).

Originally posted by tsumake@Mon, 2004-12-20 @ 04:53 AM

[post=126090]Quoted post[/post]​

Ain't it obvious? When you're see a different image at every screen refresh, it magically moves smoothly. At ~30 fps (or ~25fps for you pal people) the screen blinks the same frame twice, so you get a little ghosting.

As example, Sonic Heroes PC (the demo, at least) has a small bug: it picks the highest supported refresh rate for the resolution you selected (on XP, at least). So, the game was running at 60fps on my computer, but my monitor was running at 120Hz, and the ghosting effect was there. When I got my videocard to force the refresh rate to 60Hz, the game suddenly moved a lot smoother.

Back