Manual Mix Up!

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
Apparently the NES and SNES manuals I thought were made at HQscansorg.org were not made from there. They were made by nesfiles.com which appears not to be around anymore and also by Vimm at Vimm's Lair. Thanks for supporting the Nintendo fan base Vimm!

Yeah, Vimm's been around for ages - was the only site that I knew of (back in the day ;)) that was dedicated to manual scans, as opposed to the text written manuals. The only problem was that you had to download his program to view his manuals..

-HQ has never claimed to have "scanned" any manuals.

-HQ is simply a group such as Cowering (GoodROMs) who collects & maintains, organizes the scanned manuals.

-Vimm has used some of the HQ scans for SNES that I am aware of, but anyone may freely do so.

-Vimm certainly did not scan every manuals he has (since he has used some HQ ones) but he leaves you to believe he did since he "tags" them.

-Vimm also uses a encrypted/copy protected format whereas you cannot print .vlm files nor extract or edit them (Read Only Format)

-Vimm created a "manual monoppoly" whereas he has no legal right to claim ownership over them.

-You cannot "right click and save" Vimm's manuals - copy protected.

HQ believes that this is "wrong" and tagging & copy protecting manuals is destroying the entire scanning scene. Since many HQ members have directly been involved with the ROM scene, we as gaming contributers ourselves know what the emulation ROM scene would have been if users were forced to "view hacked intros" seeing www.mysite.com

-Vimm has many dumps of NES/SNES ROMs HQ members made and has gone to the extent of adding (Vimm's Lair - www.vimm.net) on each rom thus screwing up the checksum (his roms are in Cowering's Bad Dumps dir).

-HQ attempts to break/discourage the manual monopoly and attempts to clean the manuals by removing tags.

HQ in no way is trying to harm Vimm or any other website that tags manuals, we simply are trying to make clean sets available freely to everyone like ROMs are = clean & free.

It is also untrue that HQ does not have donated exclusive manuals, our entire PCE manuals were hand scanned and donated, and all of our 1.01 NES/SNES did not come from Vimm and certainly our non-English manuals did not either.

No one has the legal right to be tagging & copy protecting manuals they do not own, even Nintendo has released some GC & GBA PDF manuals, Sega, Sony & Microsoft and they are not tagged nor copy protected...what gives Vimm or anyone else the right to do so?

Best
Regards, if this website no longer wishes to support HQ please send us an e-mail and we will kindly remove your link.

L1br4h

This whole manual thing sounds really really messed up.

I have nothing against HQ or Vimm.

If what you said is true then I give props to HQ for helping out the whole messed up situation.

IceMan2k said:
This whole manual thing sounds really really messed up.

I have nothing against HQ or Vimm.

If what you said is true then I give props to HQ for helping out the whole messed up situation.

It is very mixed up, as we felt as contributers to the ROM scene that this was heading in the wrong direction.

So we are just "cleaning" everything up, making them avaialble to everyone who wants them. No tags, No copy protections & freely editable and printable (you can read my PDF FAQ on hqscansorg.org if you need help) extracting or editing files.

As for what I said is true...you may go to www.vimm.net and try saving a manual, just view it and right click...see if it saves.

Also his newer manuals are back to .vlm format only (we forced him to use PDF but he never did prior to HQ), download it and try printing or editing it...open it with a hex editor and see how it's encrypted.

It is no secret that Vimm personally dislikes us and has made this publically clear, no one likes "change" esp. the ones in power...so some people do not it but most support it.

I have no reason to lie to you about this. I am currently talking with "Sleepy" from www.replacmentdocs.com who will be returning and hosting this time...non tagged HQ manuals and no more copy protection (if all goes well).

Again thank you for your understanding and we are sorry about the mix up & confusion and no offence towards you, Vimm or anyone else.

I hate to get into politics, but I didn't make this post so just doing a follow up for now.

Since this post was made HQS has released an "About Us" disclaimer, which I won't paste here - you can read that from: http://hem.bredband.net/b226863/manuals/about.htm

Today (06-16-04) Vimm.net released "tagged" and "copy protected/encrypted" HQS sets, our stance on that was posted here: http://www.grh.se/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=59

As for release news Friday June 18, NES 1.01 update will be released, keep an eye on our main website and other emu news sites for details. www.hqscansorg.org

Back