Make and Compiling...

Well, I set up my PATHs and installed KPIT and everything, set up the SGL thingagummie and started out with one of the Akira demos. I changed the directories in that makefile to point to where SGL and the tools were on my machine, and I tried making...

Er, and I got a sl.coff file at around 562 bytes. ...My sl.bin was Zero bytes.

I tried running sh-coff-objcopy manually (since I assumed this was the tool that converted COFF to binary)...

---------

sh-coff-objcopy -O binary sl.coff sl.bin

---------

Which was the way the flags and arguments were set up in the Makefile, and it keeps generating a sl.bin of Zero bytes. There's no error or anything during the compile process, so...what's wrong here?

...Fixed some stuff. Now it says...

-----------

"No rule to make target ../common/cinit.o, needed by sl.coff. Stop."

-----------

How can this be? By an implicit rule, Make should try to use the defined GCC to create any needed O file from a present .C file, and even if that wasn't enough Sega defined a pattern rule to turn all .C files into .O files at the bottom of the Akira sample makefile anyway, so why isn't this working?

New problem. I tried to create my own makefile..., and, technically, it works.

I ran into this problem.

---------

error: stray \26 at end of program.

---------

This happens on every single file from the SGL I try to compile. Samples, SGL.h, any C files I find...

So, I pulled up Textpad and went into some of these files, and sure enough there's some unrecognized symbol at the bottom of every file instead of a newline.

...So now I've got three questions. 1) Anyone else have this problem? 2) I used Powerarchive to unzip this stuff, would that have caused some corruption? 3) Why do Sega's makefiles seem to ignore this, yet mine doesn't? I tried re-downloading the SGL, just to make sure it didn't glitch or anything, but that weird symbol at the bottom of all files is still there...

...I apologize that I haven't figured this out yet...

The stray \26s are DOS end-of-file markers. ExCyber made a cleaned-up version of the SGL archive which fixes this and some other things. He also made it easier to set up to use KPIT's toolchain.

Back