Mac Mini and iPod Shuffle!

that mini mac looks interesting. Ever since the info was leaked a while back I've thought I might have to get one. The thing would make a good computer for just browsing the web.

Wow, I thought that Mini looked great, until I noticed that upping the ram to 1GB costs an additional $350. What the fuck? Normally I'd buy my own RAM, but with the way that thing's packed, that might void the warranty or something (and you NEED the warranty on these first-gen Apple products, trust me... or just go ask anyone who bought a G4 Cube or Aluminum Powerbook when they first came out). 256 Megs isn't enough to do jack shit with OS X, trust me.

you should be able to upgrade RAM without voiding the warrenty.

Have you seen the insides? its amazing. Luckly the RAM is right on the side of the square.

Yeah, the shuffle is pretty damn lame. You can get a player w/a screen for the same price.

Apple's products aren't only about price.

The Shuffle just brings the iPod brand closer to the cheap competition and at the same time brings an even smaller model to those financially advantaged.

Once again...

Only Apple... :D :p

Hm...

Let's see, would I be better off upgrading my G3 or buying that Mini...

My G3 after upgrading:

1.1 GHZ G3/1 GHZ G4

448 PC100/PC133 SDRAM

20 GB HDD (140 GB if Locke decides to give me his old 120 GB).

ATI Radeon 9200 Pro 128MB Mac Edition PCI

$475/$522 for Processor and Video Card

Mac Mini (Low End)

1.25 GHZ G4

256 MB DDR333 SDRAM

40 GB HDD

ATI Radeon 9200 32 MB

$500 for everything.

I've really considering the upgrade route.

Apple's products aren't only about price.

The Shuffle just brings the iPod brand closer to the cheap competition and at the same time brings an even smaller model to those financially advantaged.

No, it's not just about price, but it's just such a classic Apple maneuver - take away a feature and then spin the buzz so that it's a concept piece. Do you really want a player that doesn't allow you to find and play a specific track? Sure, it has 'play in order' mode, but you can't easily locate a tune you might want to hear, nor can you check a track's nam e if you're not familiar with it. 'Bringing the iPod brand closer to the competition' is all well and good, but that's really all there is to this product - the brand. Unlike its big brother, the user interface of the Shuffle sucks compared to what the competition offers.

At this point, I bet Jobs could introduce the 'iBrick' - a white paperweight with a plexiglas coating and raised Apple logo, starting at just $49 - and people would still buy it in droves. I don't have any major ethical issues with consumer fetishism, but at the same time, it's no fun to be worshipping a false idol.

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Wed, 2005-01-12 @ 02:34 PM

Once again...

Hm...

My G3 after upgrading:

1.1 GHZ G3/1 GHZ G4

448 PC100/PC133 SDRAM

Mac Mini (Low End)

1.25 GHZ G4

256 MB DDR333 SDRAM

40 GB HDD

ATI Radeon 9200 32 MB

$500 for everything.

[post=127670]Quoted post[/post]​

I'd lean towards the Mini.

Then you could sell your G3 and use the money for more RAM.

Unless you really need the better graphics card.

Originally posted by it290@Wed, 2005-01-12 @ 03:37 PM

No, it's not just about price, but it's just such a classic Apple maneuver - take away a feature and then spin the buzz so that it's a concept piece. Do you really want a player that doesn't allow you to find and play a specific track? Sure, it has 'play in order' mode, but you can't easily locate a tune you might want to hear, nor can you check a track's nam e if you're not familiar with it. 'Bringing the iPod brand closer to the competition' is all well and good, but that's really all there is to this product - the brand. Unlike its big brother, the user interface of the Shuffle sucks compared to what the competition offers.

At this point, I bet Jobs could introduce the 'iBrick' - a white paperweight with a plexiglas coating and raised Apple logo, starting at just $49 - and people would still buy it in droves. I don't have any major ethical issues with consumer fetishism, but at the same time, it's no fun to be worshipping a false idol.

[post=127676]Quoted post[/post]​

Very true :)

Gotta love the Mac culture :D

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Wed, 2005-01-12 @ 02:34 PM

Once again...

Hm...

My G3 after upgrading:

1.1 GHZ G3/1 GHZ G4

448 PC100/PC133 SDRAM

Mac Mini (Low End)

1.25 GHZ G4

256 MB DDR333 SDRAM

40 GB HDD

ATI Radeon 9200 32 MB

$500 for everything.

[post=127670]Quoted post[/post]​

Also remember that with the Mini you're basically getting a free copy of Tiger ($129) and iLife '05 ($79)

Not really, considering every Mac comes with the OS... it's not like you have to purchase it seperately on the other models, and you can't opt out of buying the OS.

I meant as opposed to paying for the upgrade when it comes out.

BTW, to address a concern from before, opening the case yourself, does void the warrenty.

Aha. I thought it would. Guess that rules out one of these babies for me, then, unless it's possible to open it without being detected. Of course, I know an Apple authorized tech, so maybe I could just get him to say he did it in case anything went wrong later. ;)

or just get him to do it for free ;)

The whole RAM thing with all of their systems is my main complaint about Apple. You would think they would at least put 512 minmum in their machine in order to keep customers happy. Especially for newbies that get the impression that the Macs are slow.

Originally posted by racketboy@Wed, 2005-01-12 @ 12:55 PM

Also remember that with the Mini you're basically getting a free copy of Tiger ($129) and iLife '05 ($79)

[post=127686]Quoted post[/post]​

When did Tiger come out?

I haven't been following the Apple scene for months...

Very true

Gotta love the Mac culture

:D :thumbs-up:

a white paperweight with a plexiglas coating and raised Apple logo, starting at just $49 - and people would still buy it in droves.

:p :thumbs-up:

Back