Half Life 2

Well, I just finished HL2...and all I can say is WTF? I'd like to spoil the ending for someone, but I don't think I could if I tried. 2004 must be the year of the craphole endings - first Halo 2, now this.

Except for the ending, I thought the game was well executed. Nice length, interesting levels and a reasonably coherent plot. Actually, scratch that last - I still don't know what the game was about, but it was fun for the most part.

Some of the weapons seemed a little weak - the SMG springs to mind - and Valve have dialed back the amount of ammo you could carry too far IMO. Still, there was only one part of the game where I really ran low, and I think that was the point of that segment anyway.

The NPCs, both the interactive and non-interactive, really helped the environment along. The City was quite amazing looking in some places, though Valve got a little sloppy with textures in a few places.

Inevitably HL2 is going to be compared to Doom3 (y'know - the "other" big shooter this year). In every respect, I felt that HL2 was a better game. Looked better, moved better, played better. Hell, in Ravenshome(?) I was more scared than at any point in D3. It's scripted to buggery, but you don't care because it doesn't hinder you at all.

Valve had better follow up with HL3 soon to resolve my WTF delema, though... :rant

Oh...one more thing. Steam can suck my balls. Enforced patching (ie, no playing the game until your game is patched to whatever is the latest version and no indication of the size of the patches), no way to download patches offline (so if I need to reformat, I'll have to sit through hours of patching to play the game again), online authentication, the inability to sell-on the game once I'm done with it. It all sucks hard. I won't be buying another Steam enabled game in the future. I only hope that when Valve go under, they'll "unlock" their steam catalogue.

Originally posted by Curtis@Sun, 2004-12-26 @ 06:35 AM

Oh...one more thing. Steam can suck my balls. Enforced patching (ie, no playing the game until your game is patched to whatever is the latest version and no indication of the size of the patches), no way to download patches offline (so if I need to reformat, I'll have to sit through hours of patching to play the game again), online authentication, the inability to sell-on the game once I'm done with it. It all sucks hard. I won't be buying another Steam enabled game in the future. I only hope that when Valve go under, they'll "unlock" their steam catalogue.

[post=126505]Quoted post[/post]​

Similarly, I heard you HL2 guys also have to register an account (via internet) first to play the game, then re-new the account every ~30 days..

Renew? Highly unlikely, given my experience with Steam. However, that doesn't stop Steam from (as I've said so many times) sucking ass. Steam FTL.

Originally posted by Curtis+Sun, 2004-12-26 @ 01:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curtis @ Sun, 2004-12-26 @ 01:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Inevitably HL2 is going to be compared to Doom3 (y'know - the "other" big shooter this year).  In every respect, I felt that HL2 was a better game.  Looked better, moved better, played better.  Hell, in Ravenshome(?) I was more scared than at any point in D3.  It's scripted to buggery, but you don't care because it doesn't hinder you at all.

[/b]

Don't forget FarCry ;) I enjoyed this one way more than Doom3 ...

<!--QuoteBegin-Curtis
@Sun, 2004-12-26 @ 01:35 PM

Oh...one more thing.  Steam can suck my balls.  Enforced patching (ie, no playing the game until your game is patched to whatever is the latest version and no indication of the size of the patches), no way to download patches offline (so if I need to reformat, I'll have to sit through hours of patching to play the game again), online authentication, the inability to sell-on the game once I'm done with it.  It all sucks hard.  I won't be buying another Steam enabled game in the future.  I only hope that when Valve go under, they'll "unlock" their steam catalogue.

[post=126505]Quoted post[/post]​

[/quote]

I bought the game, I installed it yesterday, and I got the steamless fix ;)

It works like a charm :D

Originally posted by Runik@Mon, 2004-12-27 @ 08:12 PM

Don't forget FarCry ;) I enjoyed this one way more than Doom3 ...

True. :)

I still liked HL2 better, though.

I bought the game, I installed it yesterday, and I got the steamless fix ;)

It works like a charm :D

Let me just say "bad idea". There have been reports of people having their Steam accounts terminated by installing a simple no CD crack. No Steam means no Steam games - including the older ones you might have. Just be sure you don't start Steam by accident.

Originally posted by Curtis@Mon, 2004-12-27 @ 12:12 PM

Let me just say "bad idea". There have been reports of people having their Steam accounts terminated by installing a simple no CD crack. No Steam means no Steam games - including the older ones you might have. Just be sure you don't start Steam by accident.

[post=126542]Quoted post[/post]​

Don't worry, it was a manual install (gcf unpacking) with steam emulated, without being installed ;)

I don't have any steam account, so it can't be terminated :D

trojan_horse1.jpg

Back