Ghostcast and gigabit speeds

At work I had a ghostcast server on a 100mbs switch, we then upgraded to a gigabit switch.

Now the network only supports 100mbs but we got the switch because when connecting a machine to the gigabit switch with server signifgantly increase transfer speeds.

The problem is that when I try to ghost over the network to machines in the lab with the gigabit switch I only get about 50 megs per minute but with the 100mbs switch I get between 200-300 megs per minute.

My question is why is it slower when using the gigabit switch? I assumed it would be just as fast as the 100mbs switch. Im at a loss as to why it goes so slow.

Ok... I'll start by saying I don't know why...

But, it sounds like your getting 10Mbit speeds now. As apposed to 100Mbit or gigabit speeds.

That 50 megs... do you mean Megabytes or bits? same with the 300. If you mean bytes then those speeds match my assumption.

50MB per minute is about the same throughput you'll get from a 10Mbit connection. Check your switch, does it allow different types of connections across it (one user at 100mbit another at gigabit).

Someone else will mostly likely be able to help much better then me though.

I just used remote desktop to view the progress of the ghostcast and its dropped down to 45 megs a minute, so its going to take almost 5.5 hours to blast a 14gig image out.

Perhaps thats the problem though Lord, maybe the switch doesnt like different machines connected at different sppeds. Its a 10/100/1000 switch.

Usually the session starts out going really fast, then drops down before stabalizing. When things are going good I can usually get almost 350 megabytes per minute.

Again I would just assume the switch would work at 100 with clients that can only accept that speed, not 10.

Well even stranger yet, I connected another PC directly to the gigabit switch and tried ghosting it. It only reached speeds of about 205 megabytes per minute.

Then tried again with 100mb switch and its up to about 340 megabytes per minute.

The ghost server and the machine being re-imaged both have gigabyte cards and the switch indicates that both are communicating at gigabyte speeds so now im really confused.

Could the switch be bad? Does the fact that I connected the two using Cat5e have anything to do with it? From what I understand Cat5e is capable of supporting 1000Base T connections up to a certain length. Perhaps its only half duplex and thats the reason for the slow downs? If i had cat6 between the two maybe I would get better results?

If its going to have less performance I may aswell send it back.

Back