Genesis Forth compiler

The other day I got the idea to make the Forth compiler I had previously written output M68000 code so I could use it to program the Megadrive (Genesis). Said and done - it's now at the point where it can output working code for a decent subset of the Forth langauge.

Here are some demos I wrote using my compiler (including sources): download

The full compiler package including the compiler, its source and demos for all the platforms it supports can be found here

For the M68000-side of things, it outputs code suitable for the Gnu assembler (m68k-coff-as).

For those of you who don't know, Forth is an old stack based language where you write expressions in reverse polish notation. E.g
Code:
1 2 + 5 *  \ Add 1 and 2, then multiply the result by 5

It's not the most practical language to write demos/games in, but a fun challange (me just being nuts is another possibility.. :)

Enough ranting, check out the demos if you wish. If someone has a flash kit and wants to test them on hardware, that'd be great, since I don't have the necessary equipment myself.

Wow, great.

Basic, C, asm, forth, pascal :D amazing job you did.

The sprite demo is cool :) You should use 320*224 mode to avoid distorsion on your tv, if you see what i mean :)

The sprite demo is cool :) You should use 320*224 mode to avoid distorsion on your tv, if you see what i mean

Not really, since I haven't seen it run on a TV :/

I just used 256x224 mode since it's easier when the screen size and map size match, as opposed to a 320w screen / 512w map. Of course in this case it wouldn't matter since I'm just displaying and repetitive pattern.

Back