FIRST PC CRASH

Gallstaff

Established Member
My first crash ever since I built the thing a year and a half ago! And it was totally my fault for using third party drivers in the first place.

What a milestone!

Attachments

• Picture_016.jpg
    Picture_016.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Picture_016.jpg
    Picture_016.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 67
Good job. I use to get that on an old NT 4.x machine at work all the time. In 2000 I got it once, similar mistake, using a third party driver.

My parents 2k machine gtes that all the time, it hasn't been redone FOREVER and I believbe it's from the 3rd party vid card drivers....

Originally posted by mal@Jul 19, 2004 @ 06:17 AM

No crashes on a Mac? You can't be using it properly. ;)

Exactly :D

I used a Mac for fun some years ago, and it just crashed (I was just trying to use it :p )

And as there's no reset button on it, I had to unplug it :D

Haha, yeah, OS9 and prior (which I believe you're using, right, Cloud?) are pathetically easy to crash. OSX is a lot better, but I've still managed to crash my OSX machine at work quite a few times. All three OS9 machines that I use regularly will crash if you even so much as attempt to do anything that remotely resembles multitasking. And out of those, two are pretty much clean installs with an extremely minimal number of extensions running and no funky hardware. Remember Cloud, protected memory = good.

I have a G4 Powerbook with OSX 10.2, and I've crashed it a few times. Usually it has happened while installing some application.

Originally posted by it290@Jul 19, 2004 @ 08:27 AM

Haha, yeah, OS9 and prior (which I believe you're using, right, Cloud?) are pathetically easy to crash. OSX is a lot better, but I've still managed to crash my OSX machine at work quite a few times. All three OS9 machines that I use regularly will crash if you even so much as attempt to do anything that remotely resembles multitasking. And out of those, two are pretty much clean installs with an extremely minimal number of extensions running and no funky hardware. Remember Cloud, protected memory = good.

Yeah I never saw the appeal of Mac OS 9 and earlier.

Networking sucks -- at school in the design labs, if the server had problems, it froze up all our machines.

Also it was not great at mulitasking like having Photoshop and Freehand doing stuff at the same time.

Originally posted by it290@Jul 19, 2004 @ 03:27 AM

I'm using OS X Jaguar (10.2.8), and System 7.6 (PowerBook).

Neither my G3 (OS X) or my PowerBook (System 7.6) have crashed ever!

System 7.6 is actually my preferred Mac OS besides OS X...

Hey it, I'm really drawing a blank right now, but, what's protected memory?

Oh and mal,

I sure has hell am using it correctly! :lol:

Even Windows is quite stable if you don't do much with it, Cloud. Using all sorts of interesting software on it means you might crash it.

Gallstaff: You mean AFTER you underclocked your memory. :D Silly wabbit, buying a silly motherboard.

Protected memory means that only the kernel and some other integral parts of the OS have access to all the memory in the system. It prevents programs from accidently overwriting eachother's allocated memory and causing a crash. See: Mac OS Classic.

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Jul 19, 2004 @ 02:38 PM

Even Windows is quite stable if you don't do much with it, Cloud. Using all sorts of interesting software on it means you might crash it.

Gallstaff: You mean AFTER you underclocked your memory. :D Silly wabbit, buying a silly motherboard.

Haha nice job remembering. That's right, my ASUS hates my pc-3200 GEIL ram. I totally forgot i was running it like two sticks of 2700. I need to get a new mobo. Thanks for reminding me. :lol:

Originally posted by Cloud121@Jul 20, 2004 @ 04:38 AM

Neither my G3 (OS X) or my PowerBook (System 7.6) have crashed ever!

System 7.6 is actually my preferred Mac OS besides OS X...

Sorry Cloud, but I just don't believe you.

I was a hard core Mac user for over 6 years and having them crash was quite a regular occurrence. Not daily, but often enough.

To be honest, my Mac OS X 10.2 machine crashes more than my Windows XP Pro machine. However, I've also reformatted my XP machine more times than I can count.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Jul 19, 2004 @ 10:45 PM

Haha nice job remembering. That's right, my ASUS hates my pc-3200 GEIL ram. I totally forgot i was running it like two sticks of 2700. I need to get a new mobo. Thanks for reminding me. :lol:

Just remember, brand is somewhat important, and Asus is typically good, but chipset is MORE important. If you're keeping everything else the same, get a good nforce 2 400-based board. They're pretty cheap, have dual-channel as an option (though honestly, dual-channel doesn't do much for socket A athlons... their FSB is still only so wide). It would also allow you to OC better, since it locks PCI and AGP speeds, for starters.

Back