First Doom 3 review is out!

Not surprising you'll need a monster system to render these monsters in all their intracetly textured glory. But the ability to play Doom 3 with all its visual magic maxed out is really a good excuse to trade up. A P4 3GHzwith a Georce 5950- class card will see u through okay. One of our test systems had a geforce 6800 ultra and ran flawlessly at 1024x 768 with high detail. (A higher level of quality and resolution is available , but the PC to run it well isnt)nning with a geforce4 MX card and 512 Mb RAM, the texture detail was great, although the game was choppier in spots.

Bottom line: If Far Cry didnt convince you, then Doom 3 should - the time to upgrade to a next generation 3D chip , or even an all new rig, is now.

And that is precisely why I hate computer games...

Oh come on, if the game can run on a GF4MX with 512MB RAM, I don't think anyone has any reason to bitch.

No, the reason why I hate computer games, is because of the "Is my computer powerful enough?" crap.

A new big game comes out.. Oh, gotta go buy the newest $200+ video card!

I just hate it how you need to shell out an arm and a leg just to play a game sometimes...

Ugh...

That's why I'm a console guy...

Did you entirely miss the point of what I was just saying? Personally, I wouldn't run D3 on a GF4MX, but from what you quoted, it's entirely possible. A GF4MX will set you back about 30 bucks or so. I'd hardly call that having to shell out an arm and a leg. Besides, no one is forcing you to upgrade.

Additionally, if you buy high-end hardware, it's usually 2-3 years before games truly start to take advantage of it and push it to its limits. So in that respect, it's really no different from console gaming.

I should be able to run it decent I think. 2.4 athlon xp, 1024mb ram, 9700 pro. I wanna play it cuz it'll be the first game to really push what I have.

If I get Doom 3, I'll get it on Xbox.

My PC hasn't been up to even running any new games for over 2 years and I really cant be bothered with the constant need to upgrade. When I eventually get an up to spec PC, I just make use of knockdown prices on any good games I've missed over the years.

I don't know ...

I read an E3 preview on Doom 3 two days ago, and the journalists were a bit dissapointed about it (compared to what they expected), while they were still blown off by Half Life 2 ...

Originally posted by Runik@Jul 15, 2004 @ 02:28 AM

I don't know ...

I read an E3 preview on Doom 3 two days ago, and the journalists were a bit dissapointed about it (compared to what they expected), while they were still blown off by Half Life 2 ...

Everyones a graphics whore these days. These reviewers and journalists would probably rate graphics to be more important than gameplay. I would definately not give a damn about anything that comes out of their mouths, that's for sure.

Originally posted by CrazyGoon@Jul 15, 2004 @ 12:10 PM

Everyones a graphics whore these days. These reviewers and journalists would probably rate graphics to be more important than gameplay. I would definately not give a damn about anything that comes out of their mouths, that's for sure.

I tend to trust what they say, they're not really graphics whores :D

And I said that they were disappointed by it, in the way of it just being a nice looking "game", with almost no story in it ...

Wait and see ...

Hmmm... yeah, I guess we'll see. But still, the original Doom never had a storyline and no one was too turned off by that.

Originally posted by it290@Jul 15, 2004 @ 04:41 PM

Hmmm... yeah, I guess we'll see. But still, the original Doom never had a storyline and no one was too turned off by that.

I read the article again, and actually the main problem was that there were too few monsters (which were stuck in their room), so you got the surprise effect the first time, and then you know where the monster will be everytime ... which means no replay value at all ...

I'm sure it makes the first levels look like a joke, but anyone else remember the part in Doom where something like eight BOHs are unleashed on you at once? I'd say that part had quite a bit of mandatory replay value. ;)

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Jul 14, 2004 @ 10:53 PM

microsoft sells xbox, u can't own one and feel right about it ;)

Yeah so? I still want to own every console!

I'm still short by thirty or so....

Originally posted by ExCyber@Jul 15, 2004 @ 05:38 PM

but anyone else remember the part in Doom where something like eight BOHs are unleashed on you at once?

I do. The BFG made quick work of them, though :p

Yes, I think the replay value of Doom comes from the challenge level, the availability of user made maps, and of course the multiplayer. Is D3 going to ship with multiplayer or not? I can't remember if they changed their plan as far as that goes. But if it does, that's another good reason not to get the Xbox version (as if severely scaled down graphics and poor controls weren't enough).

Back