Dual Layer DVDs

Ok, I recenlty just tried to play a Dual Layer DVD I burnt using an older version of nero. The DVD plays on a normal PC DVD drive, but my player wont play it. It starts reading the disc and then displays DVD on the LCD (which is typical so I know it is at least able to tell what is in it) but then it just makes some funny sounds and stops.

Now Im wondering if this is just a case of my player not supporting the discs, or if it was the program I used to burn it.? I doubt it was the media, Im using Verbatim and they seem to be pretty good.

What other programs out there burn dual layer DVDs that I could try out?

One thing I know is that if the dvd settings aren't just right a dvd player won't play them. However, you can usually take the same disc and pop it in your dvd drive on your pc and have it play just fine. You may want to check your settings for the disc.

This is what you guys get for buying big name DVD players.

I got me a 60 USD DVD player by GE, and this was a long time ago too. I was in highschool I think. The thing still works today, I gave it to my mum. It plays anything! And after flashing the bios, it even plays other regions!

ive tossed all these in it and it worked:

DVD

DVD-9

DVD-R

DVD-9R

VCD (legite/burn)

SVCD

XVCD (unique bitrate, VBR, and resolutions as high as 800X600)

XDVD (unique bitrate, VBR, and resolutions as high as 800X600)

yeah of course the video came out in composite (no component video on the model I had) but still, great deal!

------

I have come to find that most no name, low end DVD players do a lot more then they are advertised.

actaully I have a sony dvd player I bought several years ago for $200. It's outlasted 2 other dvd players in this house, and will play dvd-r discs and vcd (only burned vcd's it'll play are on cd-rw for whatever reason). Not all name brand dvd players are bad, just most of them. I gave that player to my parents though, I just watch dvd's in my xbox these days. It's far simpler, is open region, and can play other types of video files as well.

Well I tried updating nero to the latest version, and tried the option that said Write extended lead out.. and I still get the same results. Im trying to get them to play on a Panasonic SC-HT700 5 disc theater system.

So i guess it could be the burner, the media, or the player.. (obviously) I just wonder if id have better luck with different media perhaps.. kinda pricy to experiment with though.

any other DVD+R DL media besides verbatim I could try?

Maybe I should just wait til DVD-R DL media becomes available and try that.

Did you set nero to bitset the DVD+R DL disc to DVD rom before burning the discs that increases compability with dvd players to about 99%. Without bitsetting compaiblity drops a lot with older dvd players.

Some DVD writers cant bitset DVD+ Discs but most can these days. Bitsetting doesnt work with DVD-R/RW/R-DL. What DVD writer do you have anyway.

TIP = You can set nero to automatically bitset discs in NERO by going into Recorder / Choose Recorder select your DVD writer. Click the options then select what you want your DVD+R discs to be recognized as DVD-ROM = best compability.

I'll typically use a 3rd party program to convert my dvd files to an iso and then burn the iso in nero. I've had a lot better luck when doing that with single layer discs atleast so far. I really need to read up on this dual layer stuff though. Sooner or later I'm going to need to upgrade from my pioneer 106 and I'll be getting a dual layer then. I know atleast on single layer discs that I've found DVD-R to have a higher compatibility rate than DVD+R, but from what you say, it sounds like there aren't any dual layer DVD-R discs available yet?

Well I checked the drive for bit setting.

I opened Choose recorder, then selected the recording drive then clicked the options button. But there was nothing there about bit setting. The only thing that came up is DVD High compatibility mode (At least 1 gig will be written), Enable Extended lead out (which Im not sure what that does) and enable just link (which I assume is the buffer system used by the burner.) So Im assuming the drive may not support bit setting. The drive is a NEC drive that came in a dell PC my parents bought. I have not yet purchased my own dual layer burner because I was hoping to test it out first, but perhaps I wont get good results unless I test on a better burner.

Or do I need to actually have a DVD+R DL disk in the drive for this option to be available?

As for DVD-R DL, they are not out yet. I think they will be released this spring. I know right now there is a new Pioneer drive at new egg that supports this format now. The DVD-R DL disks are supposedly going to be pretty expensive, more so than DVD+R DL.

Link to some translated info on DVD-R DL

Originally posted by RitualOfTheTrout@Sat, 2005-03-05 @ 09:25 PM

Well I checked the drive for bit setting.

I opened Choose recorder, then selected the recording drive then clicked the options button. But there was nothing there about bit setting. The only thing that came up is DVD High compatibility mode (At least 1 gig will be written), Enable Extended lead out (which Im not sure what that does) and enable just link (which I assume is the buffer system used by the burner.)

Link to some translated info on DVD-R DL

[post=130956]Quoted post[/post]​

Have you got the latest version of Nero as only vero version past 5.5 something or other supports bitsetting. If it still doesnt come up after installed the latest version of nero 6.6.0.8 at this present of time then your drive probably doesnt support bitsetting, which is a shame as compability is much better.

Well it is a drive from dell so I guess you cant expect a whole lot hehe

I will probably buy my own dual layer burner once most drives are compatible with both +DL and -DL.

Do drive manufacturers list bit setting in the specs or anything of drives so you can know before you buy?

DVD+R DL drives aren't expensive. You can get them for around $60. The NEC drives are supposed to be pretty high quality actually (though I guess it would depend on what model you have).

Well after doing some research I have found that all pioneer drives automatically use bit setting. Aside from that it seems they come as a highly recomended brand for DVD burning.

Originally posted by RitualOfTheTrout@Wed, 2005-03-09 @ 11:20 PM

Aside from that it seems they come as a highly recomended brand for DVD burning.

[post=131141]Quoted post[/post]​

Dont know where you heard that pioneer dvd writers arent great. Anyway Nero CD-DVD can bitset your drive just download it and run and click extra and then Bitseting it will show what your drive currently does to burned discs leaves them as +R recognizers or as DVD ROM recognition.

You can get nero CD-DVD speed here its currently on version 3.70.

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=download.html

I find that Pioneer burners are just fine. I've got three of them. :D

What problems have you had Quakester2000?

Originally posted by mal@Sat, 2005-03-12 @ 01:54 AM

I find that Pioneer burners are just fine. I've got three of them. :D

What problems have you had Quakester2000?

[post=131271]Quoted post[/post]​

Reviews havent been too good just read www.cdfreaks.com reviews they dont hold them in high regard. Pioneer were good in the old days of CDR but they have been replaced by companies such as LG, BenQ and NEC they are now the best companies for DVD products :D

well, all I can say is, my pioneer has never made a coaster out of a dvd that wasn't my own fault for screwing up the settings.

I'd consider going with an NEC cause I can get a silver drive and they're pretty cheap, but even so, when I upgrade my dvd burner, I'm sure it will be to another pioneer.

Back